Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

Slowly but surely I'm phasing out my digital lenses for video in favor of MF lenses and the standard zoom is next on my list. I want something pretty fast so the 28-90 2.8-3.5 is looking good to me as it's 2.8 on the wide end and 3.5 on the tele end but the 28-105 2.8-3.8 looks good too as far as longer zoom range even if it's a tad slower on the long end. For those who have shot with both lenses, which one would you choose and if you have pics, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:
Slowly but surely I'm phasing out my digital lenses for video in favor of MF lenses and the standard zoom is next on my list. I want something pretty fast so the 28-90 2.8-3.5 is looking good to me as it's 2.8 on the wide end and 3.5 on the tele end but the 28-105 2.8-3.8 looks good too as far as longer zoom range even if it's a tad slower on the long end. For those who have shot with both lenses, which one would you choose and if you have pics, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

Well not the answer you want but you might be interested as the lens is cheaper:-
Similar Kiron 28-105 3.3-4.5...it's becoming one of my favourite lenses.

Can't see much distortion on this shot and it's sharp:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/Viv28-105gold.jpg

The person in the grave is Capt Valentine Baker..partner to Martin-Baker, who eventually made the famous ejection seats, he died testing a new fighter in !942 (the Spitfire on paper was inferior) and as I have a suspicious mind would suggest the USA copied it a produced a similar looking plane called the "Mustang"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, that's a hard one.

If I remember correctly the Series 1 28-105 is not made by Kiron (whereas the (at least one of the) 28-90 is (you easily can find out checking the serial number - if it starts with 22, it's Kiron).
Therfore I would second the last reply, if you need the 105mm then better search for the Kiron, if the 90mm is enough then go with the Series 1 made by Kiron - or search for the original, which, funnily enough is named Kiron 28-85 .-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 28-90mm and I found it very good, although heavy.
The 28-85mm is also supposed to be very good and it is fast F2.8-?
With the 28-90mm:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the difference between f/3.5 and f/3.8 - it's only an academical issue.

For the 28-90 check here:

http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/vivitar/35mm-zoom/PRD_84956_3128crx.aspx

http://jfcampbell.us/photo/vivitar28-90.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anktonio/sets/72157622195103646/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

The person in the grave is Capt Valentine Baker..partner to Martin-Baker, who eventually made the famous ejection seats, he died testing a new fighter in !942 (the Spitfire on paper was inferior) and as I have a suspicious mind would suggest the USA copied it a produced a similar looking plane called the "Mustang"

This is maybe off-topic, but I'm sure the Mustang wasn't a plagiarised Martin-Baker design. The main visual similarity is the wing form, but then the principles of the shape were already well established amongst aeronautical engineers. And, perhaps most importantly, the M-B designs emphasised the use of non-strategic materials and ease of construction in the context of Britain's war-time economic problems, unlike the Mustang which was certainly "resource heavy" in its design. But, yes, there is indeed that visual similarity Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Hey, I recognise St James Church at Gerrards Cross! Smile Do we live near each other?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Hey, I recognise St James Church at Gerrards Cross! Smile Do we live near each other?

Indeed, I'm near Tatling end....fantastic area for shots from Latimer area (farthest I can cycle without having a heart attack Smile) to the lakes and canals...lovely houses and plenty of footpaths.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Indeed, I'm near Tatling end....fantastic area for shots from Latimer area (farthest I can cycle without having a heart attack Smile) to the lakes and canals...lovely houses and plenty of footpaths.

Wow! I originally lived in Uxbridge and then moved to Hazlemere when we were married. Congrats on cycling to Latimer, that's on the wrong side of the valley for me. I've made it to Beaconsfield, Amersham and even Risborough but it's not a friendly cycling area at all round here! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28-90 or Vivitar Series 1 28-105? Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

This is maybe off-topic, but I'm sure the Mustang wasn't a plagiarised Martin-Baker design. The main visual similarity is the wing form, but then the principles of the shape were already well established amongst aeronautical engineers. And, perhaps most importantly, the M-B designs emphasised the use of non-strategic materials and ease of construction in the context of Britain's war-time economic problems, unlike the Mustang which was certainly "resource heavy" in its design. But, yes, there is indeed that visual similarity Very Happy

Well why wouldn't the Americans copy the basic design as under lend lease agreement all inventions/discoveries/drawings etc in the past and future had to be handed over to them, our jet engine was handed over in 1942 or 43 and was developed further by General electric eventually for the Sabre (incidentally the Russians copied it as well, so in the Korean war you had migs and sabres fighting it out with modified British basic designed engines, also the Americans got the Magnetron....and anything they wanted and they didn't have to give anything away to the Uk erm e.g. the atom bomb.

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm with a constant 2.8 aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

This sounds interesting. I'm currently looking for a fast (f2.Cool standard zoom to use indoors with my Sony. Thinking behind this...with the camera's IS, I should be able to get sharp shots at f2.8, rather than the usual f1.4 one would need = more depth of field = more than one person in focus at closer distances Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

This sounds interesting. I'm currently looking for a fast (f2.Cool standard zoom to use indoors with my Sony. Thinking behind this...with the camera's IS, I should be able to get sharp shots at f2.8, rather than the usual f1.4 one would need = more depth of field = more than one person in focus at closer distances Smile

The series one 35-85 is a good one. Just remember all the earlier Series 1 lens are going to be heavy. Well built and heavy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

The series one 35-85 is a good one. Just remember all the earlier Series 1 lens are going to be heavy. Well built and heavy!

The issue with the 35-85/2.8 is it's a varifocus...so as you zoom, the focus changes, yes? Which would make it difficult to use for video.

Oh, the P-51 Mustangs were originally designed for, and with, UK input...it wasn't originally going to be used by US forces...quite interesting story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_Mustang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

The issue with the 35-85/2.8 is it's a varifocus...so as you zoom, the focus changes, yes? Which would make it difficult to use for video.

Oh, the P-51 Mustangs were originally designed for, and with, UK input...it wasn't originally going to be used by US forces...quite interesting story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_Mustang

Video?! I'm a photographer Laughing Laughing

It's a good point though. In practice, to get IS working effectively on the Sony, you need to select a working length and tell the camera what you are working at, so I doubt there'd be much quick zooming and focusing anyway Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP was originally talking about video...of course, the thread began to expand.

To wit: BTW, the Mustang didn't really 'blossom' until the Rolls Royce engine was installed on it.
Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
The OP was originally talking about video...of course, the thread began to expand.

Ooops, sorry! Surprised I'm digging up threads from the dead again Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta add my two penny worth....the mustang was a concept aircraft produced to british war office specifications BUT was crap until the RR merlin engine as installed......lease-lend seemed to only go one way, whilst the British leased products from the USA, USA were given yes given British stuff, jet engines have already been mentioned for one, the British 6 pounder anti-tank gun was another, becoming the US 57mm AT gun. One thing the US never took up was the British 17 pounder anti tank gun which could and did take out tiger tanks and was the equal of the famed german 88mm gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any1 have expirience with AF Voigtlander 28-105/2.8-3.8 for EF?
People say it's the same vivtar s1 design as in cosina, soligor and other's with same range and apperture. Some say they are bad, some say they are good...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
If I remember correctly the Series 1 28-105 is not made by Kiron (whereas the (at least one of the) 28-90

All vivitar/kiron varifocals 28-90 + 28-105 are base on a opcon/opticon design
(as was the 35/85 2.Cool

Vivitar 28-90 2.8/3.5 is ONLY made by Komine
Vivitar 28-105 2.8/3.8 can be Kiron made

see ebay n220657640424
Or cosina made (rubber s1 grip)
see ebay n 280563105574
Kiron also sold the 28-105 on its' own name with 3.2/4.5 opening (same lens !)
see ebay n 290475746167

There is also a kobori 28-105 3.5/4.5 non varifocal version COMPLETELY different
see ebay n 380268179132

I have the 28-90 : very handy : quality near perfect if you avoid full ap
ps : TRUEopening of 28-90 is 3.5/4.5 (i presume true opening of 28/105 is close from 3.2/4.5 (kiron's)

vulko wrote:
Did any1 have expirience with AF Voigtlander 28-105/2.8-3.8 for EF?
People say it's the same vivtar s1 design as in cosina, soligor and other's with same range and apperture. Some say they are bad, some say they are good...

Same as cosina (opcon design) .. usually cosina made lenses with cosina / vivitar / voigtlander name are lower quality than kiron

Last edited by PBFACTS on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a completely different lens in the end! Laughing

Picked up a Tamron Adaptall 2 35-70/3.5 which should do the job OK - 2.5 stops of IS = 35-70/1.8 or 52-105/1.8 on crop which should do me fine Smile

Did a bit of research afterwards and it turned out that I already have a perfectly good lens in this range - the Tamron Adaptall 2 35-135/3.5-4.2 which is a constant f3.5 all the way up to 80mm, doh! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Bought a completely different lens in the end! Laughing

Picked up a Tamron Adaptall 2 35-70/3.5 which should do the job OK - 2.5 stops of IS = 35-70/1.8 or 52-105/1.8 on crop which should do me fine Smile

Did a bit of research afterwards and it turned out that I already have a perfectly good lens in this range - the Tamron Adaptall 2 35-135/3.5-4.2 which is a constant f3.5 all the way up to 80mm, doh! Laughing

Just noticed that I've actually got two of those 35-135mm jobbies Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Vivitar 28-90 2.8/3.5 is ONLY made by kiron

S1 28-90 2.8/3.5 I got was made by Komine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovim wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

Vivitar 28-90 2.8/3.5 is ONLY made by kiron

S1 28-90 2.8/3.5 I got was made by Komine.

Exact.. sorry