Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 24-70 or 24-48?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a couple of those primes would be hard to part with...the 28 and the 40 for sure....but i will test agains them. i am a landscaper so i really only need it to be on par at small apertures. maybe it has a chance!

often i am out in rain and mud and in precarious situations, so much switching is becoming troublesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your shots are encouraging!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdrew wrote:
i am a landscaper so i really only need it to be on par at small apertures. maybe it has a chance!

often i am out in rain and mud and in precarious situations, so much switching is becoming troublesome.

In that case, a zoom like that Vivitar should be ideal for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perfect lens for you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i will post up images if it passes my testing, or follow up if it does not. i plan to pair it with an also recently acquired nikon AI 50-135, which i also have not mounted yet but also gets some good reviews. i will keep my nikon 20/4 and my nikon 55 micro in the bag because they are just sickeningly sharp Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on sharpness (Kiron 105 f/2.8 macro wonderlens).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24-48 is now my most used lens by far, it constantly surprises me as well. With a bit of care about how you use it, it is a very good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . I'll see your Kiron and raise you my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro.

See my article here where I compare my Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 (same as your Kiron) with my Tamron 90/2.5 and my pre-AI Nikkor 50/3.5:

http://michaelmcbroom.com/blogistan/?p=56

For some strange reason, you have to click on the comparison image links twice to view them full size. I found the Tamron and the old Nikkor to trade back and forth between sharpest overall. The Vivitar/Kiron certainly does an excellent job, but it wasn't the sharpest of the bunch, imo. Plus it showed more CA than the others.

Still, I have absolutely NO plans to sell mine. It's an outstanding lens, and the only one I own that goes down to 1:1 without an extension.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

that is a GREAT lookin lens! unfortunately a 100 prime would only get occasional use in my bag so not worth the weight!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i tried it last night with the adapter and my fear is correct...i will need to do some grinding....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pictures from the Series1 24-48 f3.8. Both hand held, ISO 200 at about f5.6 or 8. The square picture of the Common Spotted Orchid is about a 50% crop

Common Spotted Orchid. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

Common Spotted Orchid. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the samples!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay performed the surgery last night...

1. patient prepped for surgery

2. surgery completed

3. removal of bandages

4. recovered!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh sorry so huge, i thought tinypic would resize....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first tests were not remarkable. i think it may even be bested by a 28-70 kiron that i have. but these were quick, i am not giving up on it yet i really want it to work for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are you using to test the lens with?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5dii. tripod, zoom focus. so far just a few snaps, i need to do more. i will this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CanonFD 28-50mm ssc which I can't remember ever using ,guess I should try it and either love or sell it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Resurrection III? Reply with quote

2 years later any thoughts change since?

Last edited by wildlight images on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Resurrection III part 2? Reply with quote

Tamron SP Wide Zoom 24-48 mm 1:3.5-3.8 Adaptall

Quoted from:

"Was the test winner in Walter E. Sch�n's wide-angle
zoom lens test in the German photo magazine Color-Foto
(January 1984 issue), ahead of both the Minolta 24-50 mm 1:4
and the Nikon 25-50 mm 1:4. The Tokina 25-50mm was spot
on with the Nikon and Minolta in this test."

I went through my zoom faze in this range, last used was the Nikkor 28-50, after the Nikkor 25-50, Minolta 24-50, and Tokina.

To this day, for outdoor natural light I'd choose the Tamron 24-48 over all of them. It's sharp, the colors and contrast please me the most and noticeably so, and the size/comfort/feel is just right - plus of all the lenses in this range I've used it works perfectly with filters and polarizers (where I have found sharpness effected in many lenses including other Tamron SP models)

Last edited by wildlight images on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Tamron SP 20-40 so much, that I acquired two of them. I'll be using them while teaching my upcoming photography workshop in Santa Fe & Taos. A superb lens.

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great lens.....

Last edited by wildlight images on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a wonderful lens. I use one for color work and the other for B/W work.

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
I like the Tamron SP 20-40 so much, that I acquired two of them. I'll be using them while teaching my upcoming photography workshop in Santa Fe & Taos. A superb lens.

Russ

I like the Tamron 20-40 as well I used to use it a lot until I find out my D200 has one or two dead pixels over a year ago. Recently I tried mounting it on my NEX and took it to a birthday party at my friend's house. It's an indoor situation and I found the results disappointing especially wide open. I used to use this lens outdoors with plenty of sun light and rarely used it wide open so I'm not sure if this result is consistent or if it's just my copy or if my lens has some problem going on within over a year being in the dry cabinet, haze? separation? What's your experience with this lens in indoor situations and wide open situations? I've seen mixed comments some say it's sharp even wide open some say wide open performance is disappointing. Haven't tested it outdoors though with the NEX after over a year, so I'll take it out for another spin this weekend and see if it's better outdoors.

Btw, welcome wildlight images Smile. I read that you have the Tamron 24-48 what do you think about it? What results do you get from using it? I don't have experience with the Vivitar S1 24-48 but I've seen quite some repair threads regarding to this lens. Many involve with stuck aperture and oily blades. So if you are interested in this lens better check if everything is working properly first. If you are satisfied with the Tamron 20-40mm you should probably get another one it's pretty cheap, I've seen one sold for $66 in Nikon mount recently I think it's worth it I bet a prime 20mm F2.7 would go higher than this price given it's in Nikon mount?