Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 24-70 or 24-48?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, re: the Tamron 24-70 Aspherical, I'd like to revise and extend my remarks -- in its defense.

I decided to put it through another test, and this time compare it to some of my other EF lenses. Unfortunately, my camera's battery died shortly after I began putting the lenses through their paces, so I have results only for the Canon EF 18-55 IS and the Tamron 24-70 Aspherical. I have four other lenses I would like to use in the comparison, but it will have to wait until the battery finishes charging.

But so far, in comparison to the 18-55 IS, which although is just a cheap kit lens, has in my experience delivered excellent results, it is at least on par with the Canon. And it is especially sharp at 70mm. Soooooo -- never mind my earlier comments. Smile

Actually, this Tamron should be a good lens for comparisons against the Vivitar 24-48, as well the Canon EF 18-55. So, now that I have tests done with the two AF lenses, I will load some film (Fuji 200 is all I have right now) into my F-1 and go shoot some more test shots while the Canon's battery is recharging.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good good Michael and Russ, this is getting very interesting!

Going for a zoom at the wide end I really would not mind an AF lens, if it also can be used manually in a comfortable way..

I actually do own a AF Sigma 17-70 which is considered to be a good lens, but I hardly have used it for I find it's images, if compared to those taken with my old manual lenses, looking kind of..sterile..

my aim was to get another zoom in a similar range but one which will give me that look I like from my old lenses. So I thought that is must be an old lens and that old zooms hardly start wider then at 24mm.
But maybe I am wrong, and I could just as well go for a modern lens, maybe it is specially the Sigma I have problems with liking.. I remember opinions of other users who were not happy with the rendering of the Sigma and that they prefer Tamrons. I should find out if, even modern zooms, maybe from other manufacturers, could be more to my liking, but still may prefer the old in case it comes at a much cheaper price..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
You want the superb Series 1 24-48 model (Kiron made). The Series 1 24-70 is Cosina made (not necessarily a bad thing). The S-1 24-70 is no slouch. But the 24-48 is better and better made.

Russ

Yet another old post that I'm resurrecting. because I bought one of these today. Very Happy

It's a lens I knew nothing about until I saw it for sale at the local camera fair this morning, and was delighted to see it was Pentax fit.

It's in great condition, no marks on the body or optics, it's smooth and works perfectly.

There was a a good Hoya skylight, 77mm so it's not a cheap filter to buy, on the front, all the original caps and a mint case.

The 2280**** serial number indicate it's a Kino / Kiron from 1978 ?

I'm very pleased with it for £30 GBP ( 35 Euros ) even though it was dark by the time I got home and modified the shroud to fit it on my K10 so I haven't tried it yet.

It seems to be a lens that there's very little information to be found, the bit that I have seen indicates it's a good and respected lens, maybe it's just not that common ?

Anyone else have one ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Russ wrote:
You want the superb Series 1 24-48 model (Kiron made). The Series 1 24-70 is Cosina made (not necessarily a bad thing). The S-1 24-70 is no slouch. But the 24-48 is better and better made.

Russ

Yet another old post that I'm resurrecting. because I bought one of these today. Very Happy

It's a lens I knew nothing about until I saw it for sale at the local camera fair this morning, and was delighted to see it was Pentax fit.

It's in great condition, no marks on the body or optics, it's smooth and works perfectly.

There was a a good Hoya skylight, 77mm so it's not a cheap filter to buy, on the front, all the original caps and a mint case.

The 2280**** serial number indicate it's a Kino / Kiron from 1978 ?

I'm very pleased with it for £30 GBP ( 35 Euros ) even though it was dark by the time I got home and modified the shroud to fit it on my K10 so I haven't tried it yet.

It seems to be a lens that there's very little information to be found, the bit that I have seen indicates it's a good and respected lens, maybe it's just not that common ?

Anyone else have one ?

Lloyd

You're probably going to love it. It's a very good lens. Let us know what you think of it, and please post some images made with it.

Russ (Kiron Kid)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly will post some images, when I get a chance to take some. There's snow and mist with the promise of some sun breaking through - but my truck needs its annual safety inspection, and some work today, and my old man is coming out of hospital. So there's not much time left for trying it out.
Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, you got the hood! Mine didn't come with the hood.

Mine's in Canon FD mount so it's difficult to compare it with other lenses that I can use with my EOS DSLR. It's a good lens, though. I've used mine with my old F-1 since I began this thread and the photos were decent. Don't have any handy -- I'll have to dig . . .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I certainly will post some images, when I get a chance to take some. There's snow and mist with the promise of some sun breaking through - but my truck needs its annual safety inspection, and some work today, and my old man is coming out of hospital. So there's not much time left for trying it out.
Crying or Very sad

Lloyd

The majority of the snaps in this set were made with Vivitar Series 1 glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38463255@N00/sets/72157594393954530/

Russ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Lloyd

The majority of the snaps in this set were made with Vivitar Series 1 glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38463255@N00/sets/72157594393954530/

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set, Russ. I recognize the one of the soldier at Willamette National Cemetery. You've shown that one here before.

Can you point to any specifically where you've used the S1 24-48?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens hood #31-9706 for the Vivitar Series 1 24-48 occasionally pop up on ebay from a couple of dollars to $15...just bought another clean one a couple of weeks ago....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160511284884&si=J4vRl8iBoTi31tpVHvD2Js40fjE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

A few Listings now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-Series1-Plastic-Lens-Hood-31-9706-/160495447317?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item255e462d15

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-Series1-Plastic-Lens-Hood-31-9706-/160486395966?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item255dbc103e

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking this lens already. Smile It's been a fabulous day here, the ground is covered in light snow, yesterday was foggy and it froze like hell.
Today the sun shone all day and everything was covered in a superb dusting of hoar frost.

So off I went with the 24-48 and came back with over 300 pictures, I did take a few with the F 35-70, but all these on Flickr are with the Vivitar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mudplugga/sets/72157625426959913/

I have another batch taken out in the countryside that I haven't had time to sort out, but I will tomorrow.

The success rate was very good, especially with it being a new lens to me. Nearly every picture would have been useable, but my photography skills aren't up to taking 300+ perfect pictures. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another resurrection! i just got one of these in nikon mount. plan to adapt it to my 5d, but have to deal with the tab first. excited to try it out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey drdrew,

Welcome to the forum! I'm curious about this tab you're referring to. Is this the AI meter coupling tab or flange or whatever you want to call it? With my Nikon to EOS adapter, it doesn't matter whether the lens is AI or non-AI. There's enough clearance for either one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...well unfortunately i suck at terminology. i have several nikon MF lenses. most of them fit fine with the adaptor to the canon. on my 20/4 there was a "tab", black that stuck out too far in the rear end of the lens...i shaved (dremmelled)it off...works fine now and i love that lens and will never part with it so i dont mind that i permanently altered it. this vivitar seems to have the same tab, though i have not tried a direct mount yet, i am assuming it will cause issues but will see first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24-70 is Cosina made. Not up to the quality of the Series 1, 24-48.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats my plan! grind!

russ....i got the 24-48 serial number 22xxxx kiron made Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdrew wrote:
hm...well unfortunately i suck at terminology. i have several nikon MF lenses. most of them fit fine with the adaptor to the canon. on my 20/4 there was a "tab", black that stuck out too far in the rear end of the lens...i shaved (dremmelled)it off...works fine now and i love that lens and will never part with it so i dont mind that i permanently altered it. this vivitar seems to have the same tab, though i have not tried a direct mount yet, i am assuming it will cause issues but will see first.

Ah, you're talking about one of those mysterious protrusions that occur on the back of Nikkor lenses for no apparent rhyme nor reason. Me, I'd grind away. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm..my reply went up between posts...i guess i hit the wrong reply button...lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hope is that it will replace my oly 24/2.8 prime, zeiss c/y 28/2.8 prime, zeiss zebra 35/2.8 prime, voigt 40/2 prime....

that is at f/8-f/22....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the 24-48 version? I have a "Pre-AI" Nikon 105 f/2.5, that was ground down to fit the FM, FE and my FE-2's. It works beautifully. Love that lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdrew wrote:
hmmm..my reply went up between posts...i guess i hit the wrong reply button...lol

Nope, you were too quick. Russ posted a message before I answered yours. But I was answering your comment without a quote and since my post wasn't directly below yours, I deleted it, then went back and quoted your post, then answered and posted. But you answered the one that I deleted! So just so's you know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahahahaha!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
You have the 24-48 version? I have a "Pre-AI" Nikon 105 f/2.5, that was ground down to fit the FM, FE and my FE-2's. It works beautifully. Love that lens.

yes the 24-48! feels and looks great! fingers crossed it performs!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdrew wrote:
my hope is that it will replace my oly 24/2.8 prime, zeiss c/y 28/2.8 prime, zeiss zebra 35/2.8 prime, voigt 40/2 prime....

that is at f/8-f/22....

Hrm . . . you got some good glass there. I'd do some comparison tests before I thought about getting rid of the primes. Or just do like I did. My 24-48 replaces a 24mm, a 28mm, and a 35mm, but I'm not selling any of the primes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew

You're going to love it. The attached snaps were made with it. I still use my Kiron and Panagor 24mm primes too.