Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 24-48 zoom problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 24-48 zoom problem Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a new-to-me Vivitar Series 1 24-48 f3.8 zoom in Nikon mount. It's heavy and lovely, the glass is very good and the aperture and focus work well.

What doesn't work so well is the zoom--it operates from 24-30 or so, but then stops. I'd much prefer a 24-48 zoom to the 24-30 zoom I seem to have now, any ideas or suggestions? Is this a common problem with this lens?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to the appropriate forum Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen that on the three copies I've owned. May be that someone has taken it apart and messed with the Focus helical. They can be put back together out of time. A good lens tech could correct that.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own this lens in Canon mount. I pretty much agree with BD. If it comes to a hard stop at 30mm, this sounds to me like it was disassembled and the put back together wrong. You can look for clues that it's been taken apart in the past. Inspect all the small screws you can find along the barrel and rings and look for wear or chipped or missing paint. Unless you've disassembled zoom lenses before, I wouldn't really recommend you try with this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth repairing, I have one in PK mount and love it.

I would try Big Dog's suggestion, he knows his way around Vivitars.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

To all: thanks for your help, I guess I got a lens with "issues". I will have someone more qualified than I take a look at it.

Thanks!

Lloydy wrote:
It's worth repairing, I have one in PK mount and love it.

I would try Big Dog's suggestion, he knows his way around Vivitars.