Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5 (Kiron) and some southern flora
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5 (Kiron) and some southern flora Reply with quote

Been away for a few days and took the trusty Vivitar with me.
Only a few examples this time but not too shabby nonetheless.
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made that lens work for those,ouch the colors are beautiful and crisp. Do the roses smell as good as they look?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You made that lens work for those,ouch the colors are beautiful and crisp. Do the roses smell as good as they look?

Thanks Mo - yes they were delightful.
We can't seem to grow roses like these up this way - down south they thrive.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the (kiron) colours OH

My VS1 version 1 just arrived this morning. Only taken a few snaps so far just to get an impression and check thats its OK. Looks good - zoom is just a tad stiff.
Mine is a M42, but I got lucky, came with an original Pk - M42 adapter attached. People pay more for one of those than I paid for the lens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

My VS1 version 1 just arrived this morning. Only taken a few snaps so far just to get an impression and check thats its OK. Looks good - zoom is just a tad stiff.
Mine is a M42, but I got lucky, came with an original Pk - M42 adapter attached. People pay more for one of those than I paid for the lens!

Well done Marcus.
The stiff zoom may be an advantage.
Mine has zoom creep when pointing downwards because of the weight in the lens itself.
This is quite important when you engage the macro and the zoom ring acts a focus adjuster.
I find I have to keep my fingers on the the lens to prevent it sliding out of focus.
Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

Well done Marcus.
The stiff zoom may be an advantage.
Mine has zoom creep when pointing downwards because of the weight in the lens itself.
This is quite important when you engage the macro and the zoom ring acts a focus adjuster.
I find I have to keep my fingers on the the lens to prevent it sliding out of focus.
Happy snaps
OH

I fully agree with this. I don't use the this lens for macro for that exact same reason.

Images 1, 4 and 5 show what this lens can do when it's in the proper hands. Fantastic set, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point re creep - this lens certainly doesn't creep.

I find also that like my Viv 90mm macro the A-M switch is tucked right up against the camera and is not so easy to manipulate. For walk around snaps thats no biggie, I'm using Av and the aperture ring to stop down. But I am keen to try some macro pics and then I envisage using it more. Maybe I'll try to rig something..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great set, OH, my fav' is the last one !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good set Tom,

I really like the fourth shot, the rose. The colors are deep and rich. I have the Kiron made lens as well and can say I really love the colors and bokeh this lens produces. Great ones Very Happy

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens - so versatile. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas. Very Happy
Yes, that is the word for this lens Lloyd - versatile.
I keep coming back to the references made many moons ago (somewhere - can't remember where) that the Komine version of this lens was the one to get.
All the evidence that I have seen by way of actual images would suggest that the Kiron version (serials 22xxxxxx) is consistently outstanding.
Furthermore, it is much more common in the marketplace.
Just a little heavy is all - a little over 1kg and similar to a house brick in mass.
Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from this great lens.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a honey of lens, OH. Very versatile and capable. I had one and was pleasantly surprised by the IQ, a lot of keepers. You can do a lot with it. Character, color and bokeh are wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: ... some northern flora Reply with quote

Happy with this lens.
1. f3.5

2. f8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is an easy lens to like.
I can't believe that these lenses can still be found very cheaply.
Lucky for some.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shooting....and great lens...a wonderful surprise to me...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images - I especially like the last two of the first series.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mfkita and JJB.
One would think that a lens of 15 elements in ten groups that is as old as this one, would be prone to mechanical problems, but the lenses that I have used seem to be solid and responsive - showing no slackness other than zoom creep.
The reproduction is 1:2.2 in macro mode - not too shabby even by today's standards and rivaling some dedicated macro lenses.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two, one is heavily used, another I pick up on last Sunday flea-market for $24.-, almost mint, both in Nikon mount, made by Kiron. Most excellent lenses, the weight is enormous, but it is good for stability Very Happy. Some how it has a low rating in many pro references, may be for the weight?

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
I have two, one is heavily used, another I pick up on last Sunday flea-market, almost mint, both in Nikon mount, made by Kiron. Most excellent lenses, the weight is enormous, but it is good for stability Very Happy. Some how it has a low rating in many pro references, may be for the weight?

I have not seen low ratings for this lens, only forums that comment on the supposedly better Komine version.
Strangely, there are very few , if any, examples of work taken by the Komine lens to be found anywhere.
And yet the images produced by the Kiron/Vivitar lens are regularly excellent.
I would ignore the commentary and just get on with making images with this very good lens indeed.
I was lucky enough to find one for Pentax recently.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Paulius wrote:
I have two, one is heavily used, another I pick up on last Sunday flea-market, almost mint, both in Nikon mount, made by Kiron. Most excellent lenses, the weight is enormous, but it is good for stability Very Happy. Some how it has a low rating in many pro references, may be for the weight?

I have not seen low ratings for this lens, only forums that comment on the supposedly better Komine version.
Strangely, there are very few , if any, examples of work taken by the Komine lens to be found anywhere.
And yet the images produced by the Kiron/Vivitar lens are regularly excellent.
I would ignore the commentary and just get on with making images with this very good lens indeed.
I was lucky enough to find one for Pentax recently.
OH

Great job as usual OH. What a marvel this lens is, being a groundbreaker in so many ways. Ellis Betenky's 6 million bucks worth of shared computing time was well worth it. This thing must have blown minds when it was released.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/VivitarS1-70-210v1PBtext.svg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Amazing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/VivitarS1-70-210v1PBtext.svg

And all done mechanically without a micro-chip and motor.
Yes - amazing
OH