Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5 (Kiron) and some southern flora
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shooting....and great lens...a wonderful surprise to me...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images - I especially like the last two of the first series.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mfkita and JJB.
One would think that a lens of 15 elements in ten groups that is as old as this one, would be prone to mechanical problems, but the lenses that I have used seem to be solid and responsive - showing no slackness other than zoom creep.
The reproduction is 1:2.2 in macro mode - not too shabby even by today's standards and rivaling some dedicated macro lenses.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two, one is heavily used, another I pick up on last Sunday flea-market for $24.-, almost mint, both in Nikon mount, made by Kiron. Most excellent lenses, the weight is enormous, but it is good for stability Very Happy. Some how it has a low rating in many pro references, may be for the weight?

Last edited by Paulius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
I have two, one is heavily used, another I pick up on last Sunday flea-market, almost mint, both in Nikon mount, made by Kiron. Most excellent lenses, the weight is enormous, but it is good for stability Very Happy. Some how it has a low rating in many pro references, may be for the weight?

I have not seen low ratings for this lens, only forums that comment on the supposedly better Komine version.
Strangely, there are very few , if any, examples of work taken by the Komine lens to be found anywhere.
And yet the images produced by the Kiron/Vivitar lens are regularly excellent.
I would ignore the commentary and just get on with making images with this very good lens indeed.
I was lucky enough to find one for Pentax recently.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Paulius wrote:
I have two, one is heavily used, another I pick up on last Sunday flea-market, almost mint, both in Nikon mount, made by Kiron. Most excellent lenses, the weight is enormous, but it is good for stability Very Happy. Some how it has a low rating in many pro references, may be for the weight?

I have not seen low ratings for this lens, only forums that comment on the supposedly better Komine version.
Strangely, there are very few , if any, examples of work taken by the Komine lens to be found anywhere.
And yet the images produced by the Kiron/Vivitar lens are regularly excellent.
I would ignore the commentary and just get on with making images with this very good lens indeed.
I was lucky enough to find one for Pentax recently.
OH

Great job as usual OH. What a marvel this lens is, being a groundbreaker in so many ways. Ellis Betenky's 6 million bucks worth of shared computing time was well worth it. This thing must have blown minds when it was released.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/VivitarS1-70-210v1PBtext.svg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Amazing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d3/VivitarS1-70-210v1PBtext.svg

And all done mechanically without a micro-chip and motor.
Yes - amazing
OH