Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar History
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a really nice start - actually, more than just a start. Is your lens list intended to be comprehensive? There are some missing and maybe an error or two. Do you intend to link to pictures of the lenses themselves?

Yes, my hope is that some day it will be comprehensive. Several Camera-wiki editors including myself have been adding lenses as we find info on them and trying to correct errors as we find them. Correcting errors is the priority, so definitely point out any you see.

We're just beginning to expand from cameras to lenses at Camera-wiki but we hope to include a full page on each lens with photos, specs, and historical information. We draw our photos from the camera-wiki.org flickr group, and we've already gotten a lot of submissions of Vivitar photos but there are still many lenses we don't have photos for. Feel free to submit any you've got and I'll try to get pages started for those lenses. You can browse our flickr group directly if you want, it's got about 35k photos of vintage camera gear that's been submitted by contributors all over the world:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/camerawiki/

Quote:
It hasn't been mentioned, so I'll ask if you're aware of the seriel number sceme for identifying manufacturers (during one extensive period)?

Yes, I'm aware of it. There's a separate group of editors at Camera-Wiki trying to assemble serial number info like that on a wide range of camera gear. I'll check with them and see if they've added the Vivitar info. I need to mention it on the Vivitar page somewhere too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tracked down what may be the only book ever written on Vivitar. It's called

The Vivitar Guide, A Manual for all Vivitar 35mm Accessories
by John C. Wolf.
ISBN: 0-87165-065-7 (hardback)

There's also a paperback version:
ISBN: 0-87165-066-5

Not a lot of history about the company itself but it has some nice tables of the later lenses like the TX family and Series 1 family and some of the other fixed mount lenses. Lots of photos of lenses too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I updated this thread but I thought some of you might be curious about my progress in researching Vivitar's history. It took a while but I did succeed at contacting several ex-employees of Ponder & Best. I've continued updating the Vivitar pages at Camera-Wiki.org and I just posted the first of what I hope will be a series of Vivitar historical articles in the Camera-Wiki.org blog. The first post concerns the origins of the Series 1 lenses. If you're interested you can check out these links:

Camera-Wiki.org main Vivitar page:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar

Camera-Wiki.org blog - Vivitar Historical Research Part 1 : The origin of the Series 1 Lenses and the Macro Zoom
http://blog.camera-wiki.org/2012/03/13/vivitar-historical-research-part-1/

-Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the Vivitar Wiki ?
Its very fine indeed, a great resource.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar History Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
Strangely I found books covering the history of most major camera and lens companies but not much on Vivitar!

can you post the list of those books?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar History Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
steevithak wrote:
Strangely I found books covering the history of most major camera and lens companies but not much on Vivitar!

Here's a list of many of the English language books that have been used as reference material by Camera-Wiki.org editors. I also found many books in my local library on specific manufacturers in Germany and Japan:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Sources:_English_language

-Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know that the recent Samyang 1.4/85 has been marketed also under the name of Vivitar?
I ask because I gave a quick look to your list and perhaps it has escaped my very fast scanning, but I did not see it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 35mm f/2.8 (M42, 52mm filter size) Reply with quote

Great work!! i have subj lens, but i can't find it in list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar History Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
WolverineX wrote:
steevithak wrote:

Here's a list of many of the English language books that have been used as reference material by Camera-Wiki.org editors. I also found many books in my local library on specific manufacturers in Germany and Japan:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Sources:_English_language

-Steve

thank you, very much Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Do you know that the recent Samyang 1.4/85 has been marketed also under the name of Vivitar?
I ask because I gave a quick look to your list and perhaps it has escaped my very fast scanning, but I did not see it.

I've been debating how to handle lenses like that one. There's also a Vivitar-branded fisheye I've seen lately. Vivitar (the company) went out of business in 2008 but the brand rights were purchased and continue to be used for a variety of equipment including lenses. I expect we'll create a separate section for listing the newer gear. My main focus (no put intended) right now is on trying to document older gear that's of interest to collectors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 35mm f/2.8 (M42, 52mm filter siz Reply with quote

Alter Reserved wrote:
Great work!! i have subj lens, but i can't find it in list.

I think that one is listed in the uncategorized lens section as "35mm f/2.8, 52mm filter size (built by Tokina)" - at least it might be the same one. It's not one that's been fully documented with specs and photos yet. I'm still adding new Vivitar products all the time as I find them or someone reports them. There are still a lot with almost no documentation. I've started at the earliest lenses and I'm slowly working my way forward through time to collect the lenses together into the lens lines or families. Part of that process is trying to find old Vivitar documents or advertising as a reference to know what lenses go together into the marketing groups.

If you want to help me along, one thing I need is photos posted to the camera-wiki flickr group of any Vivitar gear that's not documented yet (which is most of it, really). The process of joining our flickr group and posting an image there takes care of granting us the usage rights to use the photo in illustrating camera-wiki articles. Here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/camerawiki/

So if you're willing, post some pics of that Vivitar 35mm f/2.8 there and I'll see if I can get an article started on it!

-Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at the Wiki. Really nice work! I just purchased an "Auto Wide-Angle 28mm f/2.5, 62mm filter size" , can I help with pictures or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 35mm f/2.8 (M42, 52mm filter siz Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
If you want to help me along, one thing I need is photos posted to the camera-wiki flickr group of any Vivitar gear that's not documented yet (which is most of it, really).

Well, that already seems to be the answer to my question...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 35mm f/2.8 (M42, 52mm filter siz Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:

If you want to help me along, one thing I need is photos posted to the camera-wiki flickr group of any Vivitar gear that's not documented yet (which is most of it, really).

I did it with pleasure Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75938119@N04/sets/72157629214773176/with/6980310705/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
I tracked down what may be the only book ever written on Vivitar. It's called

The Vivitar Guide, A Manual for all Vivitar 35mm Accessories
by John C. Wolf.
ISBN: 0-87165-065-7 (hardback)

There's also a paperback version:
ISBN: 0-87165-066-5

Not a lot of history about the company itself but it has some nice tables of the later lenses like the TX family and Series 1 family and some of the other fixed mount lenses. Lots of photos of lenses too.
Nice one - I may have to check this one out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff, Steve. I've been a Vivitar fan dating back to about 1983 or so, when I purchased my first Vivitar lens, an S1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5. Since then, I've owned, and enjoyed, quite a few different Vivitar products, including flashes, cameras, and even a very well made bellows unit with slide duplicator attachment.

I was especially interested in the Wiki page devoted to the "Professional" 135mm f/1.5. I owned one of those monsters for several years -- bought it back in the early 90s and finally sold it on eBay in 2004 to a Japanese collector. I see that you even have some serial numbers recorded. I have pics of mine around here somewhere, as well as a few pics I took with the lens (man, was it soft wide open!). I'll have to look for the pics -- perhaps one of them will show the serial number. I do recall, though that it started with 1968. Anyway, once I find the pics of my 135/1.5, I can provide them to you so that you can add them to your selection of images of the lens, if you wish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I was especially interested in the Wiki page devoted to the "Professional" 135mm f/1.5. I owned one of those monsters for several years -- bought it back in the early 90s and finally sold it on eBay in 2004 to a Japanese collector. I see that you even have some serial numbers recorded. I have pics of mine around here somewhere, as well as a few pics I took with the lens (man, was it soft wide open!). I'll have to look for the pics -- perhaps one of them will show the serial number. I do recall, though that it started with 1968. Anyway, once I find the pics of my 135/1.5, I can provide them to you so that you can add them to your selection of images of the lens, if you wish.

Thanks, that would be great if you could dig up the serial number. There are so few of those around and they change hands via eBay so often, we thought it would be helpful to collectors if we provided some history on each one. The idea is if you spot one on eBay, you can look up the serial number and find out about the condition, previous owners, and see some photos.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted the second part of my series on Vivitar history over at the Camera-Wiki blog. This one is about enlargers but does mention enlarging lenses. Anyway, if you're interested feel free to check it out:

Camera-Wiki.org blog - Vivitar Historical Research Part 2: Vivitar Re-invents the Enlarger
http://blog.camera-wiki.org/2012/05/11/vivitar-historical-research-part-2/

And in case you missed the first post, it's here
Camera-Wiki.org blog - Vivitar Historical Research Part 1 : The origin of the Series 1 Lenses and the Macro Zoom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 35mm f/2.8 (M42, 52mm filter siz Reply with quote

Alter Reserved wrote:
steevithak wrote:

I did it with pleasure Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75938119@N04/sets/72157629214773176/with/6980310705/

Looks like a T4 or TX lens to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
I've posted the second part of my series on Vivitar history over at the Camera-Wiki blog. This one is about enlargers but does mention enlarging lenses. Anyway, if you're interested feel free to check it out:

Camera-Wiki.org blog - Vivitar Historical Research Part 2: Vivitar Re-invents the Enlarger
http://blog.camera-wiki.org/2012/05/11/vivitar-historical-research-part-2/

And in case you missed the first post, it's here

Have you checked out Attila's data base here? I contributed to it when I had my collection going. Haven't been back to it in a while and I've lost the URL for it. Quite comprehensive.

All the measurements and weights were done with precision scales and calipers on the ones I posted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is that URL to the data base and the Vivitar lenses posted there............

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmI1YOvKt90RdGdfYmtONlBPVmZOQVJaUWdLbXZnREE&authkey=CIWts9UO&hl=en&authkey=CIWts9UO#gid=63

I noticed in Camera-wiki.org that in the description of the 200mm chrome nose there is no weight posted. In this data base I posted the measured weight of this lens as 885 grams. The barrel length is 173mm When retracted and the barrel diameter is 70.49mm at it's greatest size. It also tells you the material used on the outer surface of the focus grip and whether or not it has a built-in tripod mount or lens shade.