Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VIVITAR AUTO-ZOOM 75-260mm 1:4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: VIVITAR AUTO-ZOOM 75-260mm 1:4.5 Reply with quote

Hallo

I am a happy owner of CZVS 80-200F4 but there is one issue with this lens when I attach it to my mirrorless A6300 via m42 interface. The lens is not very heavy but it is long and I figured I could use m42 with tripod mount. Shooting without tripod/monopod is challenging. Found m42 but it is a bit crappy - after some usage I need to tighten the screws since it rattles.

Since finding a good m42 with tripod mount is hard I discovered I would look for another manual lens with tripod mount already. Found one which is VIVITAR AUTO-ZOOM 75-260mm 1:4.5 in mint condition for cheap.

There is little info in the net about it, opinions vary from good, to decent to mediocre.

Pics with 80-200F4 are here https://justimpress.me/2016/10/17/stado-ogierow-w-boguslawicach-pogon-za-lisem/
I do not use tele too often, but when I use it monopod is a must that is why I am looking for tripod/monopod mount solution for my MF tele, either for CZVS80-200f4 or other lens with tripod mount.

If you can share some opinions I would appreciate'em

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... looks like you did pretty good on a few of those pics! Nailing focus on a big MF tele with stuff that's moving fast is no easy task!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
Well... looks like you did pretty good on a few of those pics! Nailing focus on a big MF tele with stuff that's moving fast is no easy task!

I agree ! Those are great pictures from a lens such as this. Well done. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
devinw wrote:

I agree ! Those are great pictures from a lens such as this. Well done. Like 1 small

+2
Great pix of great fun
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your appreciation of my MF shooting. It was freezing and I got no tripod or else to help myself to shoot more .

But coming back to my question, do you have any experience with this Vivitar?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS wrote:
Thank you for your appreciation of my MF shooting. It was freezing and I got no tripod or else to help myself to shoot more .

Sadly, no
OH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS wrote:

No, it's a lens I've never had, although a lot of Vivitar zooms have passed through my hands. And I have to say that none have been bad. A lot have been very average, and a few have been very good. But none have been stinkers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
TPS wrote:

No, it's a lens I've never had, although a lot of Vivitar zooms have passed through my hands. And I have to say that none have been bad. A lot have been very average, and a few have been very good. But none have been stinkers.

I presume this Vivitar will be just good maybe average, so I will have to choose between light CZVS 80 200 f4 with no tripod mount or this pretty heavy cannon on tripod.

Expect some pictures next week from me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Tokina made lens if i'm correct, you can check it by the serial number, it should start with 37.
There are some reviews with sample pictures on the web if you search for Tokina 75-260mm.

https://simonhawketts.com/2016/06/05/rmc-tokina-75-260-f4-5-zoom-lens/
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-tokina-75-260-4-5-almost-the-biggest-t4-t7772.html

If you're looking for long telezooms with a tripod collar and with good performance: check out the Tamron Adaptall series, some really fine optics (especially SP series), great build quality and some come with standard tripod mount.

Btw: nice pictureset!

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
It's a Tokina made lens if i'm correct, you can check it by the serial number, it should start with 37.
There are some reviews with sample pictures on the web if you search for Tokina 75-260mm.

https://simonhawketts.com/2016/06/05/rmc-tokina-75-260-f4-5-zoom-lens/
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-tokina-75-260-4-5-almost-the-biggest-t4-t7772.html

If you're looking for long telezooms with a tripod collar and with good performance: check out the Tamron Adaptall series, some really fine optics (especially SP series), great build quality and some come with standard tripod mount.

Btw: nice pictureset!

Cheers, René!

Thank you for your help and input. I found the links before but was not sure if vivitar might be the same as Tokina RMC. Simon seems to be pretty impressed by the overall performance of Tokina. I hope I will be impressed by Vivitar.

As far as Tamron adapt all I have never seen them with tripod collar but will look closer.

Thank you

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there: The 75-260mm f4.5 is available in a several versions. I've got three of the Soligor branded versions: One in M42 and two in T4 mount with M42, Minolta MD and Nikon F adapters. (I've had three other versions of this lens over the years too; don't shoot too much with them anymore, though.)

I've found substantial variation in copies. One of my current lenses is very sharp, but won't focus to infinity above 105mm! So just be mindful of that when buying cheaply.

Overall, however, it's a very useful lens that can be found dirt cheap. I bought one in new condition with T4-Nikon mount and case for $5US!

Some samples:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Hi there: The 75-260mm f4.5 is available in a several versions. I've got three of the Soligor branded versions: One in M42 and two in T4 mount with M42, Minolta MD and Nikon F adapters. (I've had three other versions of this lens over the years too; don't shoot too much with them anymore, though.)

I've found substantial variation in copies.

Early Soligor 75-260 lenses are likely to be the same as the mentioned Vivitar and were thus produced by Tokina. Soligor and Tokina had some troubles, Soligor went bankrupt and made a re-start, they owed a lot of money to Tokina, so Tokina wasn't to keen on producing for them anymore.
Later models of that 75-260 are said to be made by Sun Optical, which makes any difference in performance between the versions explainable!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is insane how 250 mm (times crop?) compress the perspective, non?

These blue trees behind the coastline look almost like they are near the water. However, them being deep mountain blue must mean they are miles away, probably even 10 to 20.

Looks funny too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won the auction and the lens is on its way. Serial number starts with 37 but I wonder if it is macro lens also because this M is a bit confusing. Is it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have purchased a TX interchangeable mount Vivitar. The "M" is for manual aperture stopdown.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
You have purchased a TX interchangeable mount Vivitar. The "M" is for manual aperture stopdown.

The seller stated it was m42 mount. TX interchangeable mount tells me nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up TX and T4 systems. Many Tokina made lenses of the period could have their lens mounts changed.

The M42 version of T4/TX has the Auto/Manual switch that was so common on M42 in those days (such as all the Takumars). On digital you will be using "M" of course, as only proper M42 cameras will use the stop down pin properly.

The T4/TX version of this is a bit annoying as the A/M switch does not stay on "M" as it is spring loaded to switch back to "A", which isnt even marked. Its more like a stop-down switch you will find on some old camera bodies.

Other T4/TX mounts, for Nikon, Canon FD or Minolta, dont have this problem.

The best way to use the M42 T4/TX on digital is with a flanged M42 adapter that presses the stop down pin. Alternately its not difficult to open the T4/TX adapter and modify it to be permanently on "M".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS wrote:
The seller stated it was m42 mount. TX interchangeable mount tells me nothing.

It means that you will be able to remove the m42 and buy other mounts (Nikon, Canon FD, Minolta) to use with that lens. Very handy! Also, I believe that T4 mounts can be used on TX mounts (or vice versa, can't remember).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent I seen this lens in 85-210 ?

Especially the way the red focus lengths are marked between the two "large wheels".

Gives me a sunny feeling but so do any lenses :)