Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 85mm 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Vivitar 85mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Any opinions or experiences about this new lens? I'm surprised with the price but i want to know if this lens is any good.

Greetings.

Last edited by Klarth on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 85mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:
Any opinions or experiences about this new lens? I'm surprised with the price but i want to know if this lens is good.

Greetings.

I've heard they are pretty good but until someone I know says that, I'm a little skeptical.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most comprehensive one so far is this > http://www.jsvfoto.com/Home/faqs/nikkor85mmf14aisvspolar85mmf14/nikkorpolarreview

I guess it is not a bad lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one under a different name. Samyang, Polar, Vivitar and Bower 85/1.4 are the same lens with different badges. Mine is a... let me see... Samyang. It's quite sharp from wide open, has very smooth bokeh, yet highlights have onion-like structure.

Torture test:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone says it is a top lens
check slrclub review

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the risk of suffocating you in more reviews, here's one from gasrocks who is a regular at the Manual Focus Forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=654126

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Martin!
I liked this comment
tkbslc wrote:
They should have made is f1.2 or dropped the price to $150ish. They may end up there anyway if nobody buys them and they have to close them out in a year

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 85mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:
Any opinions or experiences about this new lens? I'm surprised with the price but i want to know if this lens is any good.

Greetings.

I don't have experience with this 85 in particular, but I do have an opinion: I hope it does well. I'd love for there to be more, affordable, manual primes available in the world!

K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
thanks Martin!
I liked this comment
tkbslc wrote:
They should have made is f1.2 or dropped the price to $150ish. They may end up there anyway if nobody buys them and they have to close them out in a year

Yes it's a shame they didn't do something to entice more buyers. The Canon 1.8/85 is a really good lens (CA in certain conditions aside). I cannot see many Vivs selling when it's up against a lens like that. Where's the attraction?

It also may not be a true 1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 85mm 1.4 Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Klarth wrote:

Greetings.

I don't have experience with this 85 in particular, but I do have an opinion: I hope it does well. I'd love for there to be more, affordable, manual primes available in the world!

K.

That would be good. I'd like to see AF dropped on some ranges if only to lower costs a bit and stop me hunting on ebay for good lenses and ending up with dust/fungus/butchered lenses. Still, Alex has done ok because of it. Wink