Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 EDITED.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 EDITED. Reply with quote

I have bought a Vivitar series 1 135mm f/2.3 lens but the rubber band has to be replaced as it's broken and it died Sad.

So I am looking for a replacement rubber. And I think the cheapest and best fitting would be the rubber of a Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8.

Edit: at first I had asked for the rubber of a 70-210 f/3.5 or that or a Vivitar 28-200mm f/3.5-5.3. But I know now that these rubbers are too wide).
The focusring of the Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 has a conical shape and this makes it somewhat more complicated to find a replacement rubber that fits.

If somebody has such a (broken) lens, or only the rubber of it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lucse on Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a DIY tool like this:
https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Camera-Leather-Lens-type-4102-Matt-Black-250-265-mm-made-Japan-/252601938515?hash=item3ad03fb253

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quidam. That looks to be the perfect pattern for the rubber that I need.
I can glue it onto a thin piece of rubber to make it into a ring.

A few months ago I did a lot of searching on the internet to find rubber that could be used on lenses but I did not find this seller.
So I assume he (and his material) showed up rather recently on eBay?

Edit: I doubt if this is the material that I need. They say that it's "synthetic Leather".
The band that I need to make has a conical shape though, so it must be possible to stretch that material.
I have written a mail to the seller to ask him if this "synthetic leather" is indeed stretchable, and if so how much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See pm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Lens Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Lens On Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-70-210-mm-f3-5-Zoom-Pentax-P-K-Mount-Lens/274217176015?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Le Reply with quote

DanielAndrew wrote:
Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f3.5 Zoom Pentax-P/K Mount Lens On Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-Series-1-70-210-mm-f3-5-Zoom-Pentax-P-K-Mount-Lens/274217176015?

Thanks for the link.
But.... the lens that is offered is not a 70-210 f/3.5 (like it says in the title) but a 70-210 f/4.5. And the rubber of this lens has a diameter that is too small.
Besides that I live in Belgium (Europe) and this lens is sold on eBay-US. The starting price of this lens is 32,36 dollar. The shipping cost to Belgium is 54,65 dollars.
If I would buy this lens I would definitely have to pay import- and custom-fees (and the likes) as well. Because the customs pick out ALL the parcels coming from the US.
This would cost me around 50 dollars extra (or more)
So, if I would buy this lens (only to have the rubber band) it would cost me at least 137 dollar. And I still would not have a rubber band that fits on my Vivitar 135mm f/2.3.

But thanks for the link anyway Wink.

In the meanwhile I have found and bought a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5.
But...the rubber of this lens does not fit. Because of this I know now that I need a rubber with a diameter that is slightly less.
A Vivitar 75-250 f/3.8 would be perfect I think. But I will see which other Vivitar lenses could be used as well, because there probably are more lenses with this diameter (of the rubber).

I am getting there. With all the help of my friends here on MFlenses Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I get lucky Smile.

This evening I found a Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 with some issues on eBay.
I offered the seller to ship only the rubber-band to me for 15 Euro (shipping from Germany included), and he accepted.

This lens had a filter-diameter of 62mm. The rubber-band is about 1cm wider. So it should be around 72mm in diameter.
The (conical) rubber that I need should go from 73mm to 78mm. So theoretically the rubber that I bought now should fit.

The first rubber band that I tried came from a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 and this lens has a filter-diameter of 67mm.
It was not a problem to make it strech so that it could fit over the broader side of the focus-ring, but it was to wide for the smaller side of that (conical) ring.
This new rubber will have to stretch half a centimeter more to fit on the broadest section of the focus-barrel, but I think (I hope) that it will not be a problem to stretch it that far.

Within a few days I will be able to tell if my assumptions about the stretching were legit... or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the rubber band. Well, as a matter of fact the seller shipped me the complete lens... which was a nice surprise Smile.
After cutting the rubber to size I put some silicone grease on the broadest half of the focus-ring and much to my surprise the rubber stretched rather easy, so it went on well.

I bought that Vivitar Series 1, 135mm f/2.3 on eBay for 70 Euro, shipping included. I spent 30 Euro on rubber bands to get the right one.
So now I got this marvelous lens, that looks close to new again, for 100 Euro. Plus 2 extra lenses with caps, rubbers and other spare parts.

All in all not such a bad deal.