Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC wide angle (hidden gem?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC wide angle (hidden gem?) Reply with quote

In fd mount and I believe it Komine made as the serial begins with 28

For the price of £9....I believe, you may disagree, this 28 punches above its weight.

Not the sharpest tool in the shead but don't believe any of my 28's are sharp on landscapes, however In my next thread a will compare all my 28mm.

Picture taken on NEX-5 (42mm eq Focal Lenth on 1.5 crop)

F16
1/125 (hand held)
Shot JPEG no photo editing just resize and crop. Not bad colour.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly a gem, but not unknown Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=18808

http://www.flickr.com/photos/manualfocus-g/4160645871/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why F16? Diffraction limits the sharpness. It will probably be sharpest at F8 and there will be enough DOF.
I had this lens and it was as sharp as anything at f8, but pretty poor at f2.8 and f4.

Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus is the gem, but too many people know about it Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Vivitar 28s,

28/2.5 by Kiron
28/2.8 by Bauer.

They both close focus to 1' (0.3m). I have not tested them head to head though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
I have two Vivitar 28s,

28/2.5 by Kiron
28/2.8 by Bauer.

They both close focus to 1' (0.3m). I have not tested them head to head though.

That's just the last marking on the 28 2.5, and it goes past that. In reality it's better then that.
I haven't measured but it's around 8" close focus. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

That's just the last marking on the 28 2.5, and it goes past that. In reality it's better then that.

Well Walter you made me check. I am afraid you are looking @ the distance from the lens to subject & not subject to film/sensor plane.

I set up the camera on a tripod & carefully focused at the minimum distance using focusing rails & measured subject to sensor & took a pic with each lens wide open. Here are the results:

1. 28/2.5 Kiron, 11 3/4" (30cm)

2. 28/2.8 Bauer, 12 1/4" (31cm)

Both are as close as damn is to swearing to 1' (.3m)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
walter g wrote:

Well Walter you made me check. I am afraid you are looking @ the distance from the lens to subject & not subject to film/sensor plane.

I set up the camera on a tripod & carefully focused at the minimum distance using focusing rails & measured subject to sensor & took a pic with each lens wide open. Here are the results:

1. 28/2.5 Kiron, 11 3/4" (30cm)

2. 28/2.8 Bauer, 12 1/4" (31cm)

Both are as close as damn is to swearing to 1' (.3m)

Well 8" was a guesstmate, and I was off. Testing handheld measurement from film/sensor plane is approx. 9.5".
Remember there are 2 different versions of this lens. I thought the only main difference was filter size, but it looks like the Min. focus difference is
different to.
I will try to take the time to test it with a tripod, to make sure I Didn't make a mistake.

How far does your lens go past the 1' mark, mine goes 7/16" past.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
It's certainly a gem, but not unknown Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=18808

http://www.flickr.com/photos/manualfocus-g/4160645871/

Wink
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivitar-28mm-fa31mm-replacement.html
( on all versions of 28mm Vivitars )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is the gem of a 28/2 is the good one? I had the Kiron but wasn't that impressed. I have the Komine 24/2 which is superb stopped down, but naff wide open. But at least it doesn't flare like crazy like the Kiron 28/2 does wide open. Still think the Komine 28/2.8 is great bang for buck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I remember reading it is the f2.8 which says 'close focus' which seems to get the best reports.
My Kiron f2 is ok, I like it..for being f2..and though it's sharpness may not be great it is good enough for my taste. But colors don't come anywhere near to those of my Takumars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Which is the gem of a 28/2 is the good one? I had the Kiron but wasn't that impressed. I have the Komine 24/2 which is superb stopped down, but naff wide open. But at least it doesn't flare like crazy like the Kiron 28/2 does wide open. Still think the Komine 28/2.8 is great bang for buck!

I want to try the Kiron version 28/2 but haven't bought one yet, but that's only to hold me until I can get a Minolta 28/2. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

How far does your lens go past the 1' mark, mine goes 7/16" past.

Just a tad less @ 3/8".