Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28/2 with oily blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Vivitar 28/2 with oily blades Reply with quote

I finally got my Kiron-made Vivitar 28mm f2 Nikon mount lens, purchased off eBay for 25 euros. The lens arrived with caps and a UV filter, and is visually excellent. But... the aperture stays open, the ring rotates freely as does the stop down "lever" but the lens stays wide open. I unscrewed the lens mount ring to see, if there was a severed linkage or something, but found out, that the problem is with oily aperture blades which stick together. I have read, that this is a common problem with these lenses.

The seller (a woman, whose other items have been mainly clothes) didn´t describe the condition of the lens at all. And I didn’t ask about it, so I can blame only myself. I´m still wondering, what kind of feedback should I give her... possibly she knew all right that the lens is faulty, but the listing was made like she knew nothing about photography.

Well, I took a risk and didn´t get a perfect lens for cheap, but if I can fix it myself, I could lear something useful. Have anybody disassembled this lens? Should I start disassembly from back or front element? There appears to be a small screw on the side of the lens near the front filter. Is this what I unscrew to remove the front cell?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same identical Kino made Vivitar & it had the same oily aperture problem...I just had a repair shop clean the blades as I just didn't care to do it myself.. Wasn't very expensive. If you want help opening it up & doing it yourself, join this group listed below. We have lots of repair manuals available in the files section & many knowledgeable people there...http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kiron-Klub/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark
I fully agree with Scott on this one.
My shop did clean a Zuiko for me for one flat rate hour $56.
If prices are similar for you. The lens will have a total cost still 50% lower than the average sell price consider repair and your original purchase.

The 2/28 has a floating element design if I recall correctly.
It is a nice performer and the extra stop from average is nice also.
As a Nikon shooter it is an excellent choice for a faster 28mm.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy is correct in that it is a "floating element" design similar to Nikon's CRC (Close Range Correction)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You guys,

I´ll ask about the cleaning price here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody
I have recently purchased Vivitar 28/2.8 (by Komine) and I have found, that there is fungus behind front element...So I tried to dismantle the lens and I found it undismantable Rolling Eyes

I unscrewed three tiny screws from the ring next to aperture ring and nothing happened. I can now rotate the ring, but thats all.

Any ideas how to get under front element?
Thank you for answer (i dont want to post it for repairs, it would cost more the the lens itself).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Thank You guys,

I´ll ask about the cleaning price here.

Wait with feedback perhaps it will un-cleanable, they used glue sometimes to fix screws this means service can't open and clean.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomas_tnt wrote:
Hello everybody
I have recently purchased Vivitar 28/2.8 (by Komine) and I have found, that there is fungus behind front element...So I tried to dismantle the lens and I found it undismantable Rolling Eyes

I unscrewed three tiny screws from the ring next to aperture ring and nothing happened. I can now rotate the ring, but thats all.

Any ideas how to get under front element?
Thank you for answer (i dont want to post it for repairs, it would cost more the the lens itself).

No idea sorry, count this is a fine lens actual lens price can change quickly ..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tomas,

you could check http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulojgomes/2989263302/in/set-72157609292312571/

there´s pictures for the dismantling of a Kiron-made Vivitar 28/2. Maybe they would give you some clue about your Komine.

I did dismantle my lens, and got the aperture working, but both the back and front lens elements are adjustable in relation to each other. I haven´t yet found the right adjustments, so the pictures are not sharp. Embarassed
If I´m patient, I hope that some day...