Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 24mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 24mm f2 Reply with quote

Today I won on an auction Vivitar 24mm f2 is anybody have it ? In my db I found only a few entry from this lens. Any experience? I also bought an Olympus OM 50mm macro 3.5. I am curious about this lens quality compare with Nikon 55mm f3.5 Non-Ai (this is extremely good and cheap lens).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read somewhere that this lens is similar to the Kiron model which is said to be a really good one...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any firm example, but both are very reputed. Oly macro usually go up higher than Nikon.. but to me the reason is non availability.. not that, doesnt available at all.. but compare to Nikon, very few...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens that I haven't used but once:

Kiron lens, I'll try it again this weekend. Anyone have this lens?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a rare lens and yes Kiron made, please try it. I suppose many of us would like to see the result.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bill, try it!
I've got the Kiron 2.0/28 and I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila and Carsten,
I'll post some pics this weekend!

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kiron 28/2 and the Nikkor 28/2 AIS - the kiron is incredible value and a very fine lens, but not quite as good as the nikkor. Neither is easy to find, but the Nikkor will probably cost more than double the price of the kiron. For the extra dollars you get sharper at wider apertures, better contrast and I think the colors are truer - but the kiron is still worth having.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are generally true for all Kiron-Nikkor case, except Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro 1:1 I believe that lens is good as Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother gave this to me last month, never used as well. It's normal version, Nik mount and no MC.

How's its performance? I think Katastrofo's should be better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has good reputation, Bill has 24mm f2 yours 28mm f2 , please make some test shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nearest to this that I have is the Vivitar 2.8/28 M42 (Komine made). I think Carsten has this lens too. I bought mine in the late 80's I think, it's still my favourite w/a (for the time being anyway Attila! Wink) I've been waiting a while for an opportunity to post a picture taken with it:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Peter. I've got a Kiron 2.0/28, a Viv 2.5/28 (Kiron) and a Viv 2.8/28 (Komine) and each of these lenses is really good! I was thinking about selling the 2.8/28 since it is the "slowest" of this triplet, but after some new test shots I changed my mind. Each of these three lenses is absolutely recommendable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried my 28/2 Viv tonight and it will not stop down, locked
wide open. Sad

Peter, great shot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about this lens wide open performance , because this is a fast lens. Go a head Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Attila, I have Kiron 24/2 and another later Vivitar 24/2 with front thread 52mm (RL edition). Both are very good at long distance. The field curvature at close distance of Kiron 24/2 is quite significant comparing Nikon 24/2.8 AF. The Nikon has close range correction (CRC) and it certainly works.
Kiron marketed its own 24/2 a few years after Vivitar, at a price almost doubled. Maybe 24/2 should be marked as Series 1 also.
Someone said the 55mm Vivitar 24/2 has a float element design. I did not see that in my Kiron. You can tell that by rotating the focusing ring and see if rear element also rotates. If there is such a difference the Vivitar should be better at close focus. Can you check your lens?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet in my hand I will do when I get it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, here's a pic indoors, no flash. Flash at f2 is a glarey mess, and
overexposed.

Last edited by Katastrofo on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to make indoor good pictures, even the best ones.Please try on the sun too.