Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 24mm F2.8 58mm Thread (Tokina 37 Serial)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 24mm F2.8 58mm Thread (Tokina 37 Serial) Reply with quote

Only had a spare 5 minutes for a quick walk to test this lens and it does not seem to be terrible acceptable results.
I believe that this is a Tokina made lens and there was two version in vivitar a 52mm thread and a 58mm
Nikon Mount

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar 24/2.8 is Cosina made & is quite sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the shots. I need to get a wider lens. My widest MF lens at the moment is a 50mm. I only have one lens that goes wider and it is my AF Canon EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6. It has a good zoom range but I'm not satisfied with the IQ or the speed. Oh well, it will just wait until my funding options are better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 24mm F2.8 58mm Thread (Tokina 37 Serial) Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
it does not seem to be terrible acceptable results.

You've puzzled me a bit with the above statement, I can't decide if you like it or not.

I looked at your pics full size and they looked quite reasonable although as you were set to ISO 640 there was a bit too much noise to make a proper judgement.

I have exactly the same model of this lens and find it to be quite good. A little soft at full aperture but about the same as most 24mm lenses. It's biggest downfall is that it flares easily but by using a lenshood and keeping light sources out of the frame it can produce excellent results.

If you can try again at ISO 100 I think it would be much easier to judge the results.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope i like the lens, its down to shooting in bad conditions, weather was not great hence the auto iso was at 640 and i did not have the hood on it, will do some more extensive testing on a nice day

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found one of these going for very cheap and the seller was happy with an offer.
Focuses very close with good sharpness at wide open and closed down.
It will be interesting to see how it performs on landscapes.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in the past. Pretty good resolution on my 5N with decent contrast but prone to flare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to find some time outside today.
The results are below.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting and also controversial results.

The first examples of the OP shows most probably some typical smearing in the edges (at least for my eyes) on the NEX-3 and Thomas' examples on the XE-1 are rather sharp across the frame.

I too have this lens since ages (MD mount) in original Tokina branding and cannot say anything bad about it. It was for many years my only 24mm lens and delivered rather excellent results on film.

I have to admit that I didn't use it on digital so far but I am rather curios to find out how it performs on my cameras also in comparison to other 24mm lenses I have acquired in the meantime.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several versions of the Vivitar 2.8/24 AFAIK.
This is the Tokina variant of course.
Here is the lens in question - it isn't as long as the pictures indicate, as they include the adapter as well.
Mine is Canon FD mount.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Thomas, I know. However it turned out that we are actually debating about the Tokina variant of the Vivitar lens. Wink
My Tokina ones (I just found another copy in PK mount too) are looking quite similar like your Vivitar variant, BUT both of them have filter threads of just 52mm opposed to your 58mm copy. So there are obviously more different Tokinas around as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Thomas, I know. However it turned out that we are actually debating about the Tokina variant of the Vivitar lens. Wink
My Tokina ones (I just found another copy in PK mount too) are looking quite similar like your Vivitar variant, BUT both of them have filter threads of just 52mm opposed to your 58mm copy. So there are obviously more different Tokinas around as well.

Now that is interesting.
I wonder if the Tokina variants show differences in performance as well.
I am guessing that their optical configurations would be slightly different since the filter threads are of different sizes (maybe different sized front elements as well)
Thanks for sharing that information
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina RMC 2.8/24 looks quite different to that, it is also seen as a Hoya HMC.

The RMC version is very good, strong colours, good coating. Not quite as sharp as the best 24s I have like the Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 and Nikkor-SC 2.8/24 but it's a mere fraction of the price and certainly a better lens than the other cheap options in 24mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Now that is interesting.
I wonder if the Tokina variants show differences in performance as well.
I am guessing that their optical configurations would be slightly different since the filter threads are of different sizes (maybe different sized front elements as well)
Thanks for sharing that information
OH

Thomas, obviously the 58mm variant wasn't available as "Tokina". There are only the Tokina RMC 24mm/2.8 (52mm filter) and the SL 24/2.8 (unknown filter) listed on the different sites. Most probably it's one and the same lens, sold as "SL 24" but marked as RMC 24mm as the production time is overlapping (1980's). So indeed we are talking about different lenses here.
I didn't find any Tokina marked lens with 58mm filter thread, but this Vivitar lens is definitely from Tokina (Kenko).

Nevertheless, the Tokina SL/RMC 24mm lens is quite recommendable and pretty sharp at least on film from my own experience. Most probably the best you can get for very little money. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL is a budget version with Single Layer coating. RMC is Rainbow Multi Coating.

Here's a M42 RMC 2.8/24 with a little over a day to run, looks like it will sell cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RMC-tokina-24-mm-1-2-8-wide-angle-lens-52mm-screw-mount-/252017246978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aad660302

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, that's on my watch list, bet price goes up now lol

Edit, meant to add I wonder how much difference besides Thomas's obvious skill the Fuji affects the results

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so we were babysitting the grandkids today and took them to the beach.
Here are some piccies with the Vivitar.
All images are hand held and some of the water shots are 1/10sec and may show camera movement. I did better when the shutter speed was 1/20 Very Happy
Here we go:
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Wonderful shots! I may have to seek one these Tokinas out. Quite good!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own copy of the subject lens is the T4 mount version. I'm uncertain as to the filter ring diameter of my lens, but all other specs match.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
My own copy of the subject lens is the T4 mount version. I'm uncertain as to the filter ring diameter of my lens, but all other specs match.

Bump...

I got lucky and found a T4 version with M42 mounting for a reasonably low price.

EDIT
From the look of the pics, it's a 58mm filter diameter. Correction.....it's a 67mm filter dia.

So far, I've had quite good results from these f/2.8 T4 Tokinas in 21, 28, 35, 105mm.
Can't wait to receive it and try it out.

Update:

The T4 copy arrived and looked to be in good physical condition. Had been stored in its cylindrical case.
But initial test shots just didn't look right. Wide open f/2.8 shots had a coma. Even stopped down it wasn't as sharp as you'd expect. Corners were soft.
Tested it again today on a steady tripod. And noticed as I turned the focus ring....the subject didn't stay stationary as it came in and out of focus.
The subject was moving slightly in an arc.
I guess this turned out to be a good indication of a de-centered element. There are no signs of distress to the body. But either dropped or left the factory like this.

Will have to see if disassembly and careful reassembly of the groups can relieve the problem. Worked in the past.
Unfortunately, there are no slots at the front. Not obvious as to its construction. Have done several Tokina products before, and not similar to any of those.
Assuming the name ring has to come off first. But will need a rubber spanner. :-\ Annoying and disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone tell me how to remove the front element on the tokina vivitar 24mm/2.8?

appears to be the same model as oldhand's, has a bit of haze behind the front element that i'd like to get cleaned up, but can't seem to get the retaining ring off