Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 20mm with 82mm front lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 20mm with 82mm front lens ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Do you know this lens :

Click here to see on Ebay

I don't want to buy this one but that's the best picture I've found on the web...

Could it be a Flektogon copy ?
Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no lot worst than a Flektogon. This lens is made by Kiron. Kiron not bad lens but never reach the Flektogon quality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This lens is made by Kiron. Kiron not bad lens but never reach the Flektogon quality.

I was not meaning it Wink
Do you think it is better than Vivitar 19mm f3.8 ?

Better pic of the 20mm Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split every price more than half at this seller and you able to get the real value. I had in the past a Vivitar 19mm f3.8 lens , it's IQ = it's price. Usable if you don't have money for a good one. A 4/20 Flek price not too high and lot better lens than any below 200 GBP.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_19mm_f3_8/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/flektogon/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put ebay links not to bid on it or price quoting but just for pics of this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you are put just a sample I told the "price split" because I believe many beginner read our posts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I thought that you are put just a sample I told the "price split" because I believe many beginner read our posts.

You are right. Actually this lens can be found for 30 to 50 Eur.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that price 30-50 EUR I guess no question to take it, I am curious also about this lens quality I had a Kiron made Vivitar 24mm f2 lens that was pretty decent performer. I didn't kept because I have better lenses, but wasn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Actually this lens can be found for 30 to 50 Eur.

Even for 10 Euros, I wouldn't touch it with a pole.
I have a sample of this lens, it is very soft until F/11 and never reaches really good sharpness.

Here's a sample taken wide open (even resized, you should be able to get the picture):

Here's a 100% crop of the lower left corner:

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a crappy result....

Thanks Abbazz ! Too bad because this lens had some sex appeal ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this picture, Abbazz! I think that good pinhole can give better results than this lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:
Thanks for this picture, Abbazz! I think that good pinhole can give better results than this lens Smile

Good one, Hubert, I was thinking the same thing! Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big surprise, still hard to believe Kiron made this crap, might be your copy is wrongly built or something. I never seen similar bad Kiron made lens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it could be heavy sample variation...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is a big surprise, still hard to believe Kiron made this crap, might be your copy is wrongly built or something. I never seen similar bad Kiron made lens.

Yes, it was quite a bad surprise to me too when I acquired the lens Mad

The serial number on my lens begins with 22 which, according to the list on Stephen Gandy's website, corresponds to Kino (aka Kiron), a very reputable manufacturer.

My copy could be a bad sample, but I doubt this particular lens has ever been abused, as it is in mint condition, without any trace of attempted disassembly by some amateur repairman.

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am surprised by those images. I had a 20/2.8 Spiratone lens, certainly not a major brand, that was much, much, MUCH better than that, actually a very impressive lens. I can't think how to explain that performance in the Vivitar unless it had been serviced and incorrectly reassembled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your lens was built wrongly in factory , I have also a factory built wrong lens, sometimes happen..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is called CQC

Crappy Quality Control