Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm Series 1 f/3.0 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm Series 1 f/3.0 M42 Reply with quote

Last edited by woodrim on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many nice ones here ! congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing sharpness especially the squirrel.. really nice!

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am updating this post with my more recent photos taken with NEX-5N. All earlier posted images were from Sony A200.

Wide open through fencing

Wide open

Wide open

Wide open

Wide open

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the shots are stunning. I don't know about the quality of the lens but there is no doubting the quality of the photographer!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
All the shots are stunning. I don't know about the quality of the lens but there is no doubting the quality of the photographer!

+10. Most deserve to be printed and displayed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent examples Very Happy

I'm a fan of Series 1 lenses and I'll keep looking for a bargain one of these.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice series. Very nice oof rendering. Great sharpness even wide open. I have however mixed feelings about 1st one - is it common effect?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

+11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Very nice series. Very nice oof rendering. Great sharpness even wide open. I have however mixed feelings about 1st one - is it common effect?

Thank you everyone for your comments.

pavko: You're right, While the photo was taken with this lens, I have worked it to create a more dynamic range.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Excellent examples Very Happy

I'm a fan of Series 1 lenses and I'll keep looking for a bargain one of these.

Nailed it! I finally found one at a bargain price. Now all I need to test the lens is nice weather, anything except the continuous grey skies here at the moment.

Thanks Woodrim, for showing what the lens can do. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Gary. Hope your camera has good focusing aids; the difference between spot-on focus and a tad off will soon be appreciated. What other 200mm lenses do you have for comparison?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Congratulations, Gary. Hope your camera has good focusing aids; the difference between spot-on focus and a tad off will soon be appreciated. What other 200mm lenses do you have for comparison?

The nearest lens I have is a 180/2.8 Sonnar, I'll shoot them side by side the next time the sun appears. (could be a while Rolling Eyes Laughing )

I have the 5D2 with the fast focusing screen and Magic Lantern, so I should be ok. Mind you, at MFD and f3 the DOF is one eighth of an inch Shocked now that's going to be a challenge to focus!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does focus quite close for a 200mm. When you do nail it, it's quite rewarding. I too have the 2.8/180 Sonnar and while it too is a great lens, there is no comparison in size, weight, and handling. The Series 1 will exhibit blue CA and the Sonnar has red in addition. I find the blue more easily correctable. I'll also add that the CA was much more pronounced with my Sony A200 and all but disappeared with the NEX-5N, indicating that the sensor definitely plays a role.

You might try some f/3 shots while the lighting is dim.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try with this lens, just for a change I went to the falconry display to test it Razz
Shot at f4. The background was a little too close for my liking but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Last edited by SonicScot on Sat May 03, 2014 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show off!!!!! Wink Nice job. If your sensor handles it as well as mine, have fun with f/3 at close distance. Looking forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Show off!!!!! Wink Nice job. If your sensor handles it as well as mine, have fun with f/3 at close distance. Looking forward to seeing more.

Laughing Laughing

On this occasion I used the Canon 7D, I'll test the lens further with the 5D2.

The first photo above is probably worthy of 'best of lenses' but I'll remove the second one and share it in a more appropriate section. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work!

Congratulations on grabbing those birds in flight - a noteworthy achievement.

I too collect the Vivitar Series 1 lenses, including this one. I tend to look for the Series 1 in FD mount because it allows me to continue using film in my Canon T90 cameras, as well as digital. (90/2.5, 90-180/4.5 Flat Field, 70-210/3.5, 200/3.0, and 120-600/5.6-Cool

Love it!

Texsport

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another example from this lovely lens, a 100% crop as well.
sooc jpeg, Sony a7, landscape profile, zero sharpening etc. EDIT: to add that it was shot at f4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, and a nice combination of camera and lens as well. You know I love the lens - it's my most used out of >100.