Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage Primes Between 58 and 85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Vintage Primes Between 58 and 85 Reply with quote

I have this large gap in my primes, and I'm interested in bridging it. If anyone has any favorites to suggest, I'd be most grateful.

Any lenses in that range are welcome, but I would say I have a heightened interest in the 70-75mm range.

Let's put a loose price ceiling around $500; I probably wouldn't spend that much (or I'd just get a Voigtlander Heliar Classic 75), but you never know what you might find at a garage sale or a flea market, so I don't mind being made aware.

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Primes Between 58 and 85 Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I have this large gap in my primes, and I'm interested in bridging it. If anyone has any favorites to suggest, I'd be most grateful.

Any lenses in that range are welcome, but I would say I have a heightened interest in the 70-75mm range.

Let's put a loose price ceiling around $500; I probably wouldn't spend that much (or I'd just get a Voigtlander Heliar Classic 75), but you never know what you might find at a garage sale or a flea market, so I don't mind being made aware.

Thank you in advance!

are looking for sharpness or character? Noritar 80/2 is a hell of lens but its not that sharp! but you can use it on any system (even GFX) and has a unique render. of course its sharper than most 6x6 lens but its not comparable to some eyeball scratching ones. nest best thing in that class would be mamiya 80/1.9. pentacon 80/1.8 is more likely a collectible item and its not in your price range.

if you consider macro (usuallly f/2.8 ) as a option you could get kyocera 60/2.8 but it needs a adapter with diagram lever and you will be limited to mirrorless.

cMount lens are good but they have crapy corner! but they fit in your preferred focal range as they usually are 70~75mm.

APS-C lens are usually not that good and also expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot do better than the Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5, but thats out of your price range.

Your requirement is a bit unusual. There aren't a lot of lenses in that range because there doesn't seem to have ever been much demand for it. Indeed, those that are in that range are usually there for technical reasons, because it is easier to adapt a given optical formula, such as the case with Zeiss where they just made a bigger Biotar. Or for that matter all those 55-58mm lenses exist because at one time it was easier to achieve that than 50mm at those apertures, for SLRs with their back focus issues.

Even 50mm is a bit of a compromise as the preferred "normal" is usually wider than that. Old fixed lens rangefinders for instance took advantage of their shorter back focus with typically 38-45mm double gauss lenses, not the normal slr kit lens 50-55mm.

Anyway, one of the few other lenses made for 35mm SLRs in that range is the 60mm f/2.8 Tomioka preset macro, most often found as a Mamiya/Sekor or Yashinon.

The normal lenses for 6x4.5 aka 645 format medium format slrs are often 75mm, typically f/2.8. Pentax and Bronica for instance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

If I find a Biotar 75mm at a garage sale, I'll be sure to snap it up! Smile I've seen how expensive they are. Pancolar and Pentacon 80 as well...

Noritar 80/2, huh? That's one I'll check out.

The Heliar Classic 75mm actually seems like a pretty good deal given the prices in this focal range.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lens in this focal length range I own is the Voigtlaender Color Heliar 75mm/F2.5 in M39/LTM.
I've introduced it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-color-heliar-75mm-f2-5-m39-ltm-t72616.html
It's a really excellent lens and therefore strongly recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean between 55 and 85 inclusive?

M42 Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
The only lens in this focal length range I own is the Voigtlaender Color Heliar 75mm/F2.5 in M39/LTM.
I've introduced it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-color-heliar-75mm-f2-5-m39-ltm-t72616.html
It's a really excellent lens and therefore strongly recommended.

Yes, that's one to consider! Thanks.

visualopsins wrote:
You mean between 55 and 85 inclusive?

M42 Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85

I'm not going to be strict, but let's say exclusive. I already know quite a lot about 58s and 85s, since I have several of each. I'd love a Takumar 85 1.8 though. That's on my long-term list. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there aren't so many lenses in that range. Pentax has two but they are both AF The DA limited 70mm f2.4 (also no aperture ring) and the FA 77mm F1.8 Limited. (with aperture ring).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax 70mm is APS-C
It’s a fine lens and extremely compact.
It’s like the 105mm of the current range.

The 77mm is full frame and legendary, at least in Pentax-world. It does not look like an AF lens but it is of course. Prices run around $500.

You probably could adapt the 77mm with a normal PK adapter because it has the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right at the 85mm "top limit", but a bit unusual ... the Fujinon 85mm f/4 "Soft Focus", mine's in 42-screw.

The Schneider-Kreuznach 85mm f/4 Tele-Arton. Mine's ex-Retina so it's in "DKL" mount and used with an adaptor but it was probably available in other contemporary mounts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena f2.8/70mm TEVIDON (but might not cover your sensor fully I fear...)

Some of my results with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157626556909405

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, KEO, I also have a gap in my primes between 55mm and 85mm. But I have truly great 55mm and 85mm primes, so to be honest, I haven't worried about that gap too much. Instead, I have some excellent zooms that can take up the slack, when I do have that uncommon situation where I'll need a focal length between these two extremes, probably the best of which is my Vivitar S1 28-90/2.8-3.5, a lens that has always rivaled primes in performance for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Pentax 70mm is APS-C
It’s a fine lens and extremely compact.
It’s like the 105mm of the current range.

But it covers a FF image circle. There are adapters that can operate mechanical aperture of aperture ring less lenses (no click stops so it will be a bit off guess work). It is a modern lens, without built in motor or focus by wire so it can be used manually.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the CZJ Biometar 80mm F2.8 originally used by the Pentacon Six.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro available in several mounts. There is a new version so the former one could be called vintage. There is a switch to true manual on it. Excellent for infinity too, good bokeh on top. Big though so not my choice to fill that Gap. I have yet to find a solution. Several expensive ciné lenses with that focal length too.
Salvaged 75mm lenses from 6x6 camera's, including folder camera's. The Mamiya 70mm for 645, has a shutter though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions, Friends! Thanks.

I'm taking notes.

There's also the mysterious preset aperture Takumar 83mm 1.8, but that's a collector item and too close to 85mm.

kds315* wrote:
Carl Zeiss Jena f2.8/70mm TEVIDON (but might not cover your sensor fully I fear...)

Some of my results with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157626556909405

Nice images. I'd never even heard of that one before. I'll look into it. Thanks.

cooltouch wrote:
Instead, I have some excellent zooms that can take up the slack,

That's a valid approach. I don't have any zooms below 80mm, but I'll check out the Vivitar. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica R 60 /2.8 Macro It's a great walk-around lens, it's sharp at all focus distances.

CZJ 80/2.8 Biometar and it's cheaper sibling, the CZJ 80/2.8 Tessar which I have, both available in M42 and Exakta.
http://forum.mflenses.com/more-people-here-with-a-czj-biometar-2-8-80-t79038.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-tessar-80-2-8-exa-mount-t19529.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

cooltouch wrote:
Instead, I have some excellent zooms that can take up the slack,

That's a valid approach. I don't have any zooms below 80mm, but I'll check out the Vivitar. Thanks.

Sure. Use the search tool here and you'll get a bunch of hits on the S1 28-90.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Leica R 60 /2.8 Macro It's a great walk-around lens, it's sharp at all focus distances.

CZJ 80/2.8 Biometar and it's cheaper sibling, the CZJ 80/2.8 Tessar which I have, both available in M42 and Exakta.
http://forum.mflenses.com/more-people-here-with-a-czj-biometar-2-8-80-t79038.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-tessar-80-2-8-exa-mount-t19529.html

CZJ tessar 80/2.8 is also available in P6 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pen f 60mm 1.5 is a great lens that covers full frame even though its and half frame lens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor varisoft 85mm f2.8 is also an original candidate. Especially for portraits...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro available in several mounts. There is a new version so the former one could be called vintage. There is a switch to true manual on it. Excellent for infinity too, good bokeh on top.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

bror_svensson wrote:
pen f 60mm 1.5 is a great lens that covers full frame even though its and half frame lens

Another one I'll check out. Thanks.

Lightshow wrote:

80mm Tessar is not a lens I've ever considered, so I'll investigate that one too (and the Leica you suggest). Thanks.

If I missed thanking anyone...thanks! I'll be researching these lenses for a few days at least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

75-80mm is the normal focal length for medium format cameras. There are some outstanding older lenses from Zeiss, Nikon, Mamiya, etc. that can be adapted to digital cameras. Even on full frame only the central part of the image circle gets used with these. OTOH, they are larger and heavier than most 35mm lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about enlarger lenses? Stupidly cheap and sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, anyone who has not pre-ordered 75mm Noctilux is less than a man.