Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage lenses gift
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Vintage lenses gift Reply with quote

My father in law offered me a box of various weird and old vintage lenses. This includes a Leitz Elmaron 1.28 150mm enlarger lens, a Dallmeyer 4" f/4.5 enlarging lens (looks pre-wwII) and a bizarre collection of ancient and wacky UK Airforce lenses...

There's also a large stack of uncut filters and a Lee filters book.

Should I be excited? (I turned it down in a panic initially, but the offer is still open)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious why you might turn the gift down in panic???? (Unless it came with certain caveats attached.....Smile)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm . . . it is quite in orer to be excited. Now that you've overcome the initial panic you should call him and accept the offer as graciously as you can - unless he wants a very large sum of money or to make you his bondsman in perpetuity Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage lenses gift Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
My father in law offered me a box of various weird and old vintage lenses. This includes a Leitz Elmaron 1.28 150mm enlarger lens, a Dallmeyer 4" f/4.5 enlarging lens (looks pre-wwII) and a bizarre collection of ancient and wacky UK Airforce lenses...

Should I be excited? (I turned it down in a panic initially, but the offer is still open)

I would be exited - especially the "wacky UK Airforce lenses" could be very interessting.
Equipment for warfare in UK, USA, Germany, France,.. is most times high end quality (no matter what it cost). Not optimized for DSLR use, but probably still usefull and good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback all. I called him back and accepted. He will now dictate the lens markings to me over the phone, so I have something to go on before I see him again.

The panic came from the danger of falling into another time sink. My father in law is a wonderful and fascinating man, an engineer and inventor, and he has amassed 1000s of strange instruments and antique science objects. I ran a store for a few years selling some of them.

It is amaaaazing fun, but always very very time consuming, and if there is one thing I don't have much of it is time.

I came to my senses though and will try and figure out what we've got here. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds absolutly interesting!!!!!

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage lenses gift Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage lenses gift Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

Hmmmm. You took his daughter! Why would you turn down his lens collection?

I did not want to appear greedy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome, UK Airforce lenses! Yummi Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely come here for help and advice once I get the lenses, or at least more info. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to see some hidden gems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
...My father in law is a wonderful and fascinating man, an engineer and inventor, and he has amassed 1000s of strange instruments and antique science objects. I ran a store for a few years selling some of them.

It is amaaaazing fun, but always very very time consuming, and if there is one thing I don't have much of it is time....

Does he have another daughter? Preferably unmarried... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage lenses gift Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Hmmmm. You took his daughter! Why would you turn down his lens collection?

No problem there - he takes the daughter, I take the lens collection - all are happy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to run to finish my video shoot for my short film, but I just got given some info, dictated over the phone.
I can't look into to it right now, but spotted a very exciting thing or two. (Aero Ektar f2.5 !!)

This is just the literal transcript, so please forgive the weird ordering of info:

Quote:
Large lens assembly: Fallowfield – Facille anastigmat f6.8 14” F7-f64 sn2270 (lens glass diameter 48mm)

Raf wartime lens: (original box) Lustrar Photographic lens – 5” wide angle 4.5 – 11 Raf no. : 14a-3439 SN:28557 Maker (maybe): Wray London

Raf lens ASSEMBLY- fixed: Raf nr. 9b-557 made by Aldis, Anastigmat F2 1.4” sn186456 (Ground armaments instruction equipment) 17mm glass length

Raf fixed lens:
Raf nr. 14a-3534 (20mm diameter)

Dallmeyer F3.5 Raf:14a-808 7mm diameter. (Assembly 15mmm long, 14mm diameter, fixed lens)

Photo lens assembly:
Bausch Lomb optical co.: Anastigmat focal length f3 f3-f16, AF1963 1 3/8” (35mm)

Large aerial photography Lens:
Photographic lens: Kodak Aero Ektar F2.5 – 16 7” 5x5 EE9408 Glass diam 76.3MM (rear lens 65mm) Mounting flange 158mm – clip on filter: Karl Zeiss Mess-Farb filter A (pale orange) 105mm, clip on filter holder
(probably for RAF f24 camera)

I don't have the lenses yet, but can report more when receive them in a week or two...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
I have to run to finish my video shoot for my short film, but I just got given some info, dictated over the phone.
I can't look into to it right now, but spotted a very exciting thing or two. (Aero Ektar f2.5 !!)

This is just the literal transcript, so please forgive the weird ordering of info:

Quote:
Large lens assembly: Fallowfield – Facille anastigmat f6.8 14” F7-f64 sn2270 (lens glass diameter 48mm)

Raf wartime lens: (original box) Lustrar Photographic lens – 5” wide angle 4.5 – 11 Raf no. : 14a-3439 SN:28557 Maker (maybe): Wray London

Raf lens ASSEMBLY- fixed: Raf nr. 9b-557 made by Aldis, Anastigmat F2 1.4” sn186456 (Ground armaments instruction equipment) 17mm glass length

Raf fixed lens:
Raf nr. 14a-3534 (20mm diameter)

Dallmeyer F3.5 Raf:14a-808 7mm diameter. (Assembly 15mmm long, 14mm diameter, fixed lens)

Photo lens assembly:
Bausch Lomb optical co.: Anastigmat focal length f3 f3-f16, AF1963 1 3/8” (35mm)

Large aerial photography Lens:
Photographic lens: Kodak Aero Ektar F2.5 – 16 7” 5x5 EE9408 Glass diam 76.3MM (rear lens 65mm) Mounting flange 158mm – clip on filter: Karl Zeiss Mess-Farb filter A (pale orange) 105mm, clip on filter holder
(probably for RAF f24 camera)

I don't have the lenses yet, but can report more when receive them in a week or two...

Come on ............... you seriously considered turning these down ............ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Do your FIL a favour and take them off his hands.
OH Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, lenses used by RAF, those must be interesting! Adapting them could be a challenge, but keep us posted!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Hmmm, lenses used by RAF, those must be interesting! Adapting them could be a challenge, but keep us posted!!!

I will be completely clueless so expect a cry for help when I get the lenses Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those aerial lenses were best of breed, should be very interesting. The aero-ektars are beloved by many and there are lens boards etc. designed for using them that produce some amazing results. There was an article about the radioactivity of these that made them perhaps the most well known of thoriated lenses.

This guy at the link below did what seemed to me the most reasoned article:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/aeroektar/discuss/72157632176737005/

Many think this topic is silly and overblown and I overall agree with them. Just don't stare into the rear element when you receive the aero-ektar. Being military lenses, they contain more thorium than the average super takumar, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah pretty excited by the Ektar I must say.
I have a Canon 60d and I no experience with anything other than standard converter rings, so this could be quite a challenging project. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to get going, how would one mod the Leitz Elmatron 1:2.8 150mm or the Kodak Aero Ektar f2.5 7" to be used with a Canon 60d?
I assume this is impossible/pointless wrt to the Ektar, but I would love to be told otherwise!

Ideas?

Smile

EDIT: I did find this hack for a 5d Mark II, but no idea exactly how that was done...
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/18/canon-5d-mark-ii-mashup-k-24-aerial-recon-lens/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the aerial lenses can be used on your canon with a set of bellows. I would suggest get a cheap set of M42 bellows and a Canon adapter. Get also a T-mount in M42.

The T mount can be used to make an adapter for the lens, each lens will be different but there will be a way of attaching it permanently or non permanently. The bellows will provide extension and focusing capability. I suspect the projector lens could be used this way too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this -

This Carl Zeiss Orikar 150mm f3.2 is very simple, uncoated projector lens from around the mid 1950's.
It's mounted on the Sony NEX with, a Pentax PK to NEX adapter - PK to Helios bellows adapter - bellows to M42 adapter - the lens, which has a M42 thread - a deep lens hood. I used random cardboard rings cut from black card as aperture's, I just jammed them in the back of the lens. It needs an aperture as it's poor wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Something like this -

This Carl Zeiss Orikar 150mm f3.2 is very simple, uncoated projector lens from around the mid 1950's.
It's mounted on the Sony NEX with, a Pentax PK to NEX adapter - PK to Helios bellows adapter - bellows to M42 adapter - the lens, which has a M42 thread - a deep lens hood. I used random cardboard rings cut from black card as aperture's, I just jammed them in the back of the lens. It needs an aperture as it's poor wide open.

Hmmm, a Vorsatz bellows? Really nice build quality, massive like a T-34 tank. Very Happy I would suggest to get a set of M42 extension tubes as well, you will need a small one to attach the camera to the back of the bellows. (At least 5D didn't fit without a small extension tube.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Helios branded bellows - built like a tank. The finish might not be Japanese quality, but they are silky smooth, work perfectly, and absolutely rigid. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I now have hope Smile

This seems to be less cumbersome though:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/18/canon-5d-mark-ii-mashup-k-24-aerial-recon-lens/

Any idea what is going on there?

Bespoke focusing helicoid?