Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage lenses gift
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
I have to run to finish my video shoot for my short film, but I just got given some info, dictated over the phone.
I can't look into to it right now, but spotted a very exciting thing or two. (Aero Ektar f2.5 !!)

This is just the literal transcript, so please forgive the weird ordering of info:

Quote:
Large lens assembly: Fallowfield – Facille anastigmat f6.8 14” F7-f64 sn2270 (lens glass diameter 48mm)

Raf wartime lens: (original box) Lustrar Photographic lens – 5” wide angle 4.5 – 11 Raf no. : 14a-3439 SN:28557 Maker (maybe): Wray London

Raf lens ASSEMBLY- fixed: Raf nr. 9b-557 made by Aldis, Anastigmat F2 1.4” sn186456 (Ground armaments instruction equipment) 17mm glass length

Raf fixed lens:
Raf nr. 14a-3534 (20mm diameter)

Dallmeyer F3.5 Raf:14a-808 7mm diameter. (Assembly 15mmm long, 14mm diameter, fixed lens)

Photo lens assembly:
Bausch Lomb optical co.: Anastigmat focal length f3 f3-f16, AF1963 1 3/8” (35mm)

Large aerial photography Lens:
Photographic lens: Kodak Aero Ektar F2.5 – 16 7” 5x5 EE9408 Glass diam 76.3MM (rear lens 65mm) Mounting flange 158mm – clip on filter: Karl Zeiss Mess-Farb filter A (pale orange) 105mm, clip on filter holder
(probably for RAF f24 camera)

I don't have the lenses yet, but can report more when receive them in a week or two...

They have arrived, plus exra bonus lenses and items!
Apologies for the ugly quick photos, I have no time to do a proper post right now.

And finally, there is also a lovely Tamron Twin-Tele f2.8 135 mm. The one that transfromes into a 225mm lens with a dedicated extender...

The SUper Paragon mirror lens has some minor fungus (looks recent) on the front glass. No idea how to clean that, or even if I should avoid using it? The fungus seems purely internal.

The Aero-Ektar excites me greatly, and even has its own filter assembly! I have no large format camera though. (yet)
I would love to learn how to adapt the leitz Elmaron...

My main camera is a Canon 60d.

I'll report in more detail later Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Glad to see you finally received the lenses.
Thanks for the photos. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting eh? Very Happy
I will need a lot of help figuring out what to do with them!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Rudolf, you'll be busy for a few months to adapt them and try them all out!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Congrats Rudolf, you'll be busy for a few months to adapt them and try them all out!!

Yep, looking forward to it..
I may have to start a few threads asking for advice, but some lenses are good to go as is. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I may have to start a few threads asking for advice, but some lenses are good to go as is. Smile

Guess that might come handy (from my BLOG):
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-determine-length-of-focusing.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful stuff, congratulations. It all looks to be in perfect shape! That Soligor, while not the most exciting bit of this lot, looks like it was just removed from the package. Can't wait to see shots with the aero ektar.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drool! A luvverly box of tat!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what toys! Razz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Kodak lens is quite valuable and its images very nice. Unfortunately, it is for large format, so any adaptation will require something quite long. You'll only be using a small portion of the image circle, but supposedly it is sharp in the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
That Kodak lens is quite valuable and its images very nice. Unfortunately, it is for large format, so any adaptation will require something quite long. You'll only be using a small portion of the image circle, but supposedly it is sharp in the middle.

Yeah I will have to find a large format solution I think. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Guess that might come handy (from my BLOG):
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-determine-length-of-focusing.html

Nice one. I am thinking of trying the Leitz first so this could be very helpful.No idea what it's mount is though Sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

It seems this lens has an M55 screwthread... I assumed I would have to use something like :
this

But I am not sure how to get things to mount on the lens side... there seem to be no M55 helicoids around?

Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

It seems this lens has an M55 screwthread... I assumed I would have to use something like :
this

But I am not sure how to get things to mount on the lens side... there seem to be no M55 helicoids around?

Any advice?

If it is in M55x0.75, you can use a 52mm helicoid with 52-55 step ring or 42mm helicoid with T2 M42 mount, 42-49 and 49-55 step ring etc..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

this

Any advice?

If it is in M55x0.75, you can use a 52mm helicoid with 52-55 step ring or 42mm helicoid with T2 M42 mount, 42-49 and 49-55 step ring etc..

Do you mean a lens FILTER step ring? I hadn't even considered that??
So, M55-M52 step down ring (Or step up? I never remember) -->M52-m42 helicoid-->m42 to EOS adapter?
Something like that?

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

this

Any advice?

Do you mean a lens FILTER step ring? I hadn't even considered that??
So, M55-M52 step down ring (Or step up? I never remember) -->M52-m42 helicoid-->m42 to EOS adapter?
Something like that?

Smile

Yes. You need a 52-55 step up ring . As you need to mount a heavy lens, it is recommend buying a good one(made in Japan or US). You can check your lens against with a 55mm filter to confirm if it is M55x0.75.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nice good Fotodiox one, and it fits nicely on the back of the lens!

Now I need to find the helicoid I guess.

Is this a reasonable price? Amazon link

Or do forum members have better addresses to buy these? :_)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

I think the price is OK. If you need one in better quality, here is one i recommend Click here to see on Ebay. Also prepare a set of M42 tube for adapting the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

I think the price is OK. If you need one in better quality, here is one i recommend Click here to see on Ebay. Also prepare a set of M42 tube for adapting the lens.

You are a star.

By "prepare a set of M42 tube"... do you mean some kind of tube I can cut, to adjust the lens wrt register distance? Isn't that what the focusing helicoid will help me do?
(Don't laugh, this is all new to me!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

You are a star.

By "prepare a set of M42 tube"... do you mean some kind of tube I can cut, to adjust the lens wrt register distance? Isn't that what the focusing helicoid will help me do?

You need to check the length of the extension need to achieve infinity by placing the lens in front of a camera(it must be larger or equals to the length of the helicoid and adapter or infinity will be lost ). With a 22mm helicoid and 52-55 step up ring, it will take about 3cm extension. You will need to add some M42 extension tube to increase the extension such than you can focus closer with the helicoid.

Also read 'How to determine the length of a focusing helicoid'
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.hk/2011/01/how-to-determine-length-of-focusing.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

You are a star.

You need to check the length of the extension need to achieve infinity by placing the lens in front of a camera(it must be larger or equals to the length of the helicoid and adapter or infinity will be lost ). With a 22mm helicoid and 52-55 step up ring, it will take about 3cm extension. You will need to add some M42 extension tube to increase the extension such than you can focus closer with the helicoid.

http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.hk/2011/01/how-to-determine-length-of-focusing.html

This is lik some kind of dark art. Very Happy
Right, M42 extension tube... like this? EBAY LINK

And where in the link is this placed? Between lend a helicoid, or between helicoid and body?
(Sorry about the question overload)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

You are a star.

And where in the link is this placed? Between lend a helicoid, or between helicoid and body?

M42 to EOS adapter -> extension tube(s) -> helicoid -> step up ring -> lens. Personally, I prefer the old Japanese extension tubes as the Chinese tubes are poorly made.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

You are a star.

M42 to EOS adapter -> extension tube(s) -> helicoid -> step up ring -> lens. Personally, I prefer the old Japanese extension tubes as the Chinese tubes are poorly made.

Brilliant. I now have a plan thanks to your kind and patient support!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

Brilliant. I now have a plan thanks to your kind and patient support!

You are welcomed! You may not need to add tubes as the lens is pretty long itself.

Please report back in your thread at the DIY section when you are done. It might be useful to other members.