Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage lenses gift
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, lenses used by RAF, those must be interesting! Adapting them could be a challenge, but keep us posted!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Hmmm, lenses used by RAF, those must be interesting! Adapting them could be a challenge, but keep us posted!!!

I will be completely clueless so expect a cry for help when I get the lenses Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those aerial lenses were best of breed, should be very interesting. The aero-ektars are beloved by many and there are lens boards etc. designed for using them that produce some amazing results. There was an article about the radioactivity of these that made them perhaps the most well known of thoriated lenses.

This guy at the link below did what seemed to me the most reasoned article:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/aeroektar/discuss/72157632176737005/

Many think this topic is silly and overblown and I overall agree with them. Just don't stare into the rear element when you receive the aero-ektar. Being military lenses, they contain more thorium than the average super takumar, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah pretty excited by the Ektar I must say.
I have a Canon 60d and I no experience with anything other than standard converter rings, so this could be quite a challenging project. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to get going, how would one mod the Leitz Elmatron 1:2.8 150mm or the Kodak Aero Ektar f2.5 7" to be used with a Canon 60d?
I assume this is impossible/pointless wrt to the Ektar, but I would love to be told otherwise!

Ideas?

Smile

EDIT: I did find this hack for a 5d Mark II, but no idea exactly how that was done...
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/18/canon-5d-mark-ii-mashup-k-24-aerial-recon-lens/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the aerial lenses can be used on your canon with a set of bellows. I would suggest get a cheap set of M42 bellows and a Canon adapter. Get also a T-mount in M42.

The T mount can be used to make an adapter for the lens, each lens will be different but there will be a way of attaching it permanently or non permanently. The bellows will provide extension and focusing capability. I suspect the projector lens could be used this way too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this -

This Carl Zeiss Orikar 150mm f3.2 is very simple, uncoated projector lens from around the mid 1950's.
It's mounted on the Sony NEX with, a Pentax PK to NEX adapter - PK to Helios bellows adapter - bellows to M42 adapter - the lens, which has a M42 thread - a deep lens hood. I used random cardboard rings cut from black card as aperture's, I just jammed them in the back of the lens. It needs an aperture as it's poor wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Something like this -

This Carl Zeiss Orikar 150mm f3.2 is very simple, uncoated projector lens from around the mid 1950's.
It's mounted on the Sony NEX with, a Pentax PK to NEX adapter - PK to Helios bellows adapter - bellows to M42 adapter - the lens, which has a M42 thread - a deep lens hood. I used random cardboard rings cut from black card as aperture's, I just jammed them in the back of the lens. It needs an aperture as it's poor wide open.

Hmmm, a Vorsatz bellows? Really nice build quality, massive like a T-34 tank. Very Happy I would suggest to get a set of M42 extension tubes as well, you will need a small one to attach the camera to the back of the bellows. (At least 5D didn't fit without a small extension tube.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Helios branded bellows - built like a tank. The finish might not be Japanese quality, but they are silky smooth, work perfectly, and absolutely rigid. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I now have hope Smile

This seems to be less cumbersome though:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/18/canon-5d-mark-ii-mashup-k-24-aerial-recon-lens/

Any idea what is going on there?

Bespoke focusing helicoid?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just made a tube to replace the bellows, which actually makes it all harder as the tube has to be an exact length to get focus. Bellows adjust and somewhere along the range of movement focus - hopefully infinity - will be found.
I would also say that bellows are stronger and more rigid, the support for the weight is more central and not all on the camera lens mount

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
He's just made a tube to replace the bellows, which actually makes it all harder as the tube has to be an exact length to get focus. Bellows adjust and somewhere along the range of movement focus - hopefully infinity - will be found.
I would also say that bellows are stronger and more rigid, the support for the weight is more central and not all on the camera lens mount

Gotcha, and yes, that sounds like the way to go Smile
I'm looking forward to giving this a go. Smile

The projector lens will be interesting too. It seems a very good one, but again, I have never tried to make something like this work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
So, to get going, how would one mod the Leitz Elmatron 1:2.8 150mm or the Kodak Aero Ektar f2.5 7" to be used with a Canon 60d?
I assume this is impossible/pointless wrt to the Ektar, but I would love to be told otherwise!

First, congrats on the loot!

I have two of these Aero Ektar lenses. One is mounted on a Speed Graphic lensboard and I use it on 4x5 film:

The results:

The other one has been adapted (not by me) with an helicoid and an M42 scewmount. Here's an old thread about it: http://forum.mflenses.com/the-mighty-aero-ektar-goes-digital-t5626.html

You might want to try the lens on your Canon 60d if you already have the parts and you are willing to adapt it yourself. But I don't think it will be worth the cost to have it professionally converted. This lens is not well suited for small format digital cameras with high pixel density sensors. Its main point is that it has a lot of coverage so it will really shine when used on large format film. An F/2.5 portrait lens on 4x5 film is something out of this world... On the other hand, when used on an APS-C DLSR, it's just a so-so telephoto lens that will probably weight more than 2kg (4.4lb) with the adapter! There are many 180mm lenses designed for small format, which have equal or better max aperture, better sharpness and a lot less bulk...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

First, congrats on the loot!

I have two of these Aero Ektar lenses. One is mounted on a Speed Graphic lensboard and I use it on 4x5 film:

The results:

The other one has been adapted (not by me) with an helicoid and an M42 scewmount. Here's an old thread about it: http://forum.mflenses.com/the-mighty-aero-ektar-goes-digital-t5626.html

You might want to try the lens on your Canon 60d if you already have the parts and you are willing to adapt it yourself. But I don't think it will be worth the cost to have it professionally converted. This lens is not well suited for small format digital cameras with high pixel density sensors. Its main point is that it has a lot of coverage so it will really shine when used on large format film. An F/2.5 portrait lens on 4x5 film is something out of this world... On the other hand, when used on an APS-C DLSR, it's just a so-so telephoto lens that will probably weight more than 2kg (4.4lb) with the adapter! There are many 180mm lenses designed for small format, which have equal or better max aperture, better sharpness and a lot less bulk...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Wow amazing stuff and seriously cool mod there. Many thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered the crop factor, but yeah that makes sense. Thing is, if I do use it I want to be able to use it on video, which means DSLR really. So maybe I should just wait until I finally submit to buying a fullframe DSLR camera?

I still have the other lenses to play with, like the Leitz and the other obscure ones. Smile

Thanks again!

Rudolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get pictures out of a large format lens by mounting it on a LF camera and then taking a digital picture of the focussing screen (with a good hood thrown over it). What we used to call a depth of field adaptor when using 35mm lenses with video cameras. It will be low contrast and a bit mucky (just call it retro charm), but probably the closest you will get to using the lens as intended, including the correct shallow focus.

Various users of the Aero Ektar on youtube with examples of use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
I have to run to finish my video shoot for my short film, but I just got given some info, dictated over the phone.
I can't look into to it right now, but spotted a very exciting thing or two. (Aero Ektar f2.5 !!)

This is just the literal transcript, so please forgive the weird ordering of info:

Quote:
Large lens assembly: Fallowfield – Facille anastigmat f6.8 14” F7-f64 sn2270 (lens glass diameter 48mm)

Raf wartime lens: (original box) Lustrar Photographic lens – 5” wide angle 4.5 – 11 Raf no. : 14a-3439 SN:28557 Maker (maybe): Wray London

Raf lens ASSEMBLY- fixed: Raf nr. 9b-557 made by Aldis, Anastigmat F2 1.4” sn186456 (Ground armaments instruction equipment) 17mm glass length

Raf fixed lens:
Raf nr. 14a-3534 (20mm diameter)

Dallmeyer F3.5 Raf:14a-808 7mm diameter. (Assembly 15mmm long, 14mm diameter, fixed lens)

Photo lens assembly:
Bausch Lomb optical co.: Anastigmat focal length f3 f3-f16, AF1963 1 3/8” (35mm)

Large aerial photography Lens:
Photographic lens: Kodak Aero Ektar F2.5 – 16 7” 5x5 EE9408 Glass diam 76.3MM (rear lens 65mm) Mounting flange 158mm – clip on filter: Karl Zeiss Mess-Farb filter A (pale orange) 105mm, clip on filter holder
(probably for RAF f24 camera)

I don't have the lenses yet, but can report more when receive them in a week or two...

They have arrived, plus exra bonus lenses and items!
Apologies for the ugly quick photos, I have no time to do a proper post right now.

And finally, there is also a lovely Tamron Twin-Tele f2.8 135 mm. The one that transfromes into a 225mm lens with a dedicated extender...

The SUper Paragon mirror lens has some minor fungus (looks recent) on the front glass. No idea how to clean that, or even if I should avoid using it? The fungus seems purely internal.

The Aero-Ektar excites me greatly, and even has its own filter assembly! I have no large format camera though. (yet)
I would love to learn how to adapt the leitz Elmaron...

My main camera is a Canon 60d.

I'll report in more detail later Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Glad to see you finally received the lenses.
Thanks for the photos. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting eh? Very Happy
I will need a lot of help figuring out what to do with them!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Rudolf, you'll be busy for a few months to adapt them and try them all out!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Congrats Rudolf, you'll be busy for a few months to adapt them and try them all out!!

Yep, looking forward to it..
I may have to start a few threads asking for advice, but some lenses are good to go as is. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Yep, looking forward to it..
I may have to start a few threads asking for advice, but some lenses are good to go as is. Smile

Guess that might come handy (from my BLOG):
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-determine-length-of-focusing.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful stuff, congratulations. It all looks to be in perfect shape! That Soligor, while not the most exciting bit of this lot, looks like it was just removed from the package. Can't wait to see shots with the aero ektar.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drool! A luvverly box of tat!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what toys! Razz