Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma DP-1 samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Sigma DP-1 samples Reply with quote

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2fcda%2freview%2f2008%2f02%2f02%2f7893.html

have a look e.g. at the full-size version of the second photo on the second row, the detail on the first car. Also the second photo on fourth row, not much if any CA or purple fringing.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, impressive...
The camera is said to go onto the market in June.
We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I mount my Contax lenses on it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Don't think so, it's a compact camera in the style of the Ricoh GR Digital...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Orio wrote:

Jes.

Ah, OK, thanks.
Looks like the perfect camera for vacation or long travels then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Orio wrote:

Jes.

Ah, OK, thanks.
Looks like the perfect camera for vacation or long travels then.

Maybe more than that. Images from the Foveon sensor are of extreme quality. The Foveon sensor uses a revolutionary technology that avoids interpolation by sampling the three base colours in different planes, as was shown in the SIGMA dSLRs. Moving the Foveon to a compact camera could bring a new image quality standard down to the compact camera world.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma announced this camera some time ago (before last years PMA even). They wanted to launch it in '07 . They delayed that launch due to noise and poor IQ. These look quite nice although the noise at 800(night shot) is pretty nasty. I think this will be a nice camera. My instinct would be to wait it out until any bugs surface. There has been a lot of anticipation for this camera. Demand is certain to be quite high at first. I will take one late. I do not have a digital P&S currently. The fixed focal lens and Foveon sensor is very interesting to me. It will maybe be a bit of a bitch to have Canon and Sigma raw files. Am I wrong about that?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Sigma announced this camera some time ago (before last years PMA even). They wanted to launch it in '07 . They delayed that launch due to noise and poor IQ. These look quite nice although the noise at 800(night shot) is pretty nasty. I think this will be a nice camera. My instinct would be to wait it out until any bugs surface. There has been a lot of anticipation for this camera. Demand is certain to be quite high at first. I will take one late. I do not have a digital P&S currently. The fixed focal lens and Foveon sensor is very interesting to me. It will maybe be a bit of a bitch to have Canon and Sigma raw files. Am I wrong about that?

It depends on the RAW format SIGMA will use on this camera. What I'm currently doing is to convert every different RAW format to Adobe DNG, keeping the original inside the DNG. This way one can have a single process, but recover the original RAW if necessary. The only drawback is the need of additional disk space, but today's standards are quite capable.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they produced a small number of these under the Polaroid label about 3 years ago. They were embraced by the sigma crowd but had little to no impact on GQPublic. They were quickly withdrawn - apparently manufacturing problems (I suspect quality control). I really doubt that they will have the marketing dollars or clout to get this thing off the ground any better than the DSLR. A niche player with too much to lose if they offend the big boys. Foveon desperately needs to get a big brother into the game - the current foveon chip has developed very very little from the original. This is a tragedy because it really deserves a wider audience, their picture quality was way ahead in the early days but the latest CMOS chips are probably better now.
As long as the foveon chip in the DSLRs are limited to proprietary software in raw form and sigma lenses in hardware the idea will go nowhere. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Yes I know the recent model has a jpeg option.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

With a hacksaw and superglue, I don't see why not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this private review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLylj3V-EQ and I must say, regarding the look of the camera and the images quality http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DP1/DP1THMB.HTM , I like it. What I don't like its the price especially with the minuses ( see the Cons here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DP1/DP1A.HTM ) the camera has Sad
Seems to be like a digital Olympus/Minolta/Ricoh/Canonet/Konica compact 35mm , fixed lens rangefinders but without the RF.
Maybe the successor will be better but next month we'll see what Oly will bring out (that micro 4/3 camera system).