Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best m42 extension rings for use with K->m42 adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: best m42 extension rings for use with K->m42 adapter? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a little problem with almost every m42 extension ring I can find on my Pentax dSLR's. Let me explain.

The m42->K adapter fits inside the K-mount like this:

(fyi: that's a Super-A/Program-A)

It has some margin, so a lens that only touches the adapter isn't very stable. A lens needs to be wide enough to push against the K-mount to be firmly attached to the body. For a normal lens this isn't really a problem because it's back plate is usually wider than the m42 adapter:

Most extension rings, however, are a lot narrower, so they only touch the adapter:

I discovered that this causes some vibration blur almost always with long exposures, even with 2s self-timer, a good tripod, a concrete floor and me sitting as still as possible.

Does anybody know about m42 extension rings with a wider base, so they are more firmly attached to the K body? I've already thought about taking a (wide enough) m42 tele converter and removing the lenses from it, to use it as the first extension ring, but the only m42 teleconverter I have is also too narrow...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using K-mount extension rings with the M42 adapter at the front end?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
How about using K-mount extension rings with the M42 adapter at the front end?

If I find only one m42 extension ring that fits my needs, I'm able to keep using my existing m42 extension rings Smile. Besides, K extension rings are a lot rarer (and more expensive) than m42 rings Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pentax own rings and it works well. The black ones that looks like Super Taks. :p So, yes, probably Asahi made rings.