Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unusual microscope lens? Nikon 5x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Unusual microscope lens? Nikon 5x Reply with quote

I recently bought a few more things I don't really need, among which an odd Nikon lens marked:

Nikon lens made in Japan
5X
No. 30139

The odd thing is that I expected it to be some sort of microscope lens and those tend to be tiny. This one however is 10 cm long and 4cm in diameter. Anyone any clue in which kind of machine this was used? As soon as I fix some sort of mount onto it, I'll show some results.

BTW I also bought an Olympus OS3X lens of more usual dimensions I also don't know the origins of. This should make an interesting small macro lens.

For comparison the Nikon lens with the Olympus, a Leitz Photar-II 50/4 and a Luminar 16/2.5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,

that could be from an older Nikon optical comparator using in workshops. I have seen similar.

Does that Olympus 3x have an aperture?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus,

Interesting - by comparator you mean a something like a low powered comparison microscope? Any particular reason why they would need such a large diameter lens?

The Olympus lens doesn't have an aperture unfortunately (although I like using most lenses wide-open anyway). Also low power and fairly large compared to standard microscope lenses. It may come from a similar device as the Nikon, as both came from the same vendor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Klaus,
Interesting - by comparator you mean a something like a low powered comparison microscope? Any particular reason why they would need such a large diameter lens?

Optical comparators are used by manufacturers of precision components as quality assurance. A silouhette of the component is projected on a ground glass screen. Since the magnification is known, measurements can be made from the screen or the component can be compared to a drawing made on an acetate overlay placed on the screen.

An early developer of optical comparators was the Jones and Lamson Machine Company of Springfield, Vermont. The original intended use was for quality control in the standardization of bolts used by the auto industry. For a while, in the late 80s and early 90s, Springfield was the Optical Comparator capital of the world with three manufacturers of the machine. I believe they are all now consolidated as J&L Metrology. I worked for them, briefly, in 2002 when they bought all of the remaining Jones and Lamson Comparator stocks and drawings at auction.

The large diameter of the lens is, usually, the result of the lens' telecentric design. The diameter of the lens has to be greater than the size of the object being measured. Any more than that. I don't know!

I don't know what size ranges Nikon made their comparators, but I've seen J&L comparators with screen sizes ranging from eight inches to 50 inches.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Gee its a small world !

20 years ago I was working for Helmel Engineering, manufacturer of Coordinate Measuring Machines, usually 3D devices using mechanical electronic probes, but they would put optical comparators on these as an option, so as to use the computer systems they were connected to for data gathering and analysis.

Or maybe its the same type of brain that goes down similar paths ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Bill,
Gee its a small world !
20 years ago I was working for Helmel Engineering, manufacturer of Coordinate Measuring Machines, usually 3D devices using mechanical electronic probes, but they would put optical comparators on these as an option, so as to use the computer systems they were connected to for data gathering and analysis.
Or maybe its the same type of brain that goes down similar paths ?

I think you're onto something. Not sure if we're born with a predilection for certain things or it's the environment we're raised in. I have kind of done whatever looked interesting at the moment. Right now, I'm building airplanes with a bunch of guys whose hobbies seem to be smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. My brother, an electrical engineer, says I should be designing planes, not building them. He's right, but I was never interested in learning the math!

Before I left Vermont I was working for a friend who owned a gear shop. The company that moved out of the space we moved into left behind an obsolete CMM. Would have been neat and probably useful, to get it working!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All mostly perfectly answered, couldn't have done better!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain that those mentioning comparators know what they're
talking about, but might this also be for use in telescopes?
The physical dimensions mentioned seem about right for that.