Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Anyone who has information about this lens? It can get the adapter for Canon?

Thanks in advance: Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the design similar to common Rollei Mount
My friend has this lens in Rollei Mount, sure you can use it with adapter Rollei-EOS
But for sure you better give the rear picture

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !
From what I understand from this forum it's the same with the Rollei 50mm 1.8 and it's one of the very good ones .I have bought one myself too , at it's waiting for a conversion kit .contact Calvin83.
could use an adafter for the beginning , but it's has to be very thin and thus well machined,so the chances to have infinity are..thin Laughing
good luck !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have CZ planar in Rollei mount. AFAIK all Rollei mount lenses cannot reach infinity with adapter to EOS. But, the focus can be adjusted. I unscrewed My planar focusing ring, then adjusted it.screw it again, done. It reach infinity now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great lens! Congrats.

IAZA wrote:
I have CZ planar in Rollei mount. AFAIK all Rollei mount lenses cannot reach infinity with adapter to EOS. But, the focus can be adjusted. I unscrewed My planar focusing ring, then adjusted it.screw it again, done. It reach infinity now

That's right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same lens as Zeiss/Rollei Planar HFT 1.8/50 for Rolleiflex SLR. Superb lens, especially wide-open it's best 50 I've tried till this time. It was made in Rollei QBM mount (just search on eBay "QBM to EOS") and M42 mount. But on 5D both versions hits the mirror at infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/chipped-qbm-to-eos-conversion-kit-t29673,start,15.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want infinity focus you have to unscrew the front of the lens and loosen the three screws on the focus ring. For inifinity on your 5D you also have to shave a mm or 2 off the rear element retaining ring: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933139/0#8851436

I have done this and the lens has very nice Zeiss microcontrast. Unfortunately my lens has developed some play somewhere, because of which sometimes the left and sometimes the right side of the frame is a bit out of focus.

When you use Calvin's mount replacement, be VERY careful with the aperture pin, because it can come off very easily when you remove the QBM mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/chipped-qbm-to-eos-conversion-kit-t29673,start,15.html

Apart from this kit, I can also order a quality QBM adaptor which allow most lens reach infinity.

AhamB wrote:

If you want infinity focus you have to unscrew the front of the lens and loosen the three screws on the focus ring. For inifinity on your 5D you also have to shave a mm or 2 off the rear element retaining ring: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933139/0#8851436

I have done this and the lens has very nice Zeiss microcontrast. Unfortunately my lens has developed some play somewhere, because of which sometimes the left and sometimes the right side of the frame is a bit out of focus.

When you use Calvin's mount replacement, be VERY careful with the aperture pin, because it can come off very easily when you remove the QBM mount.

I am sorry for not providing you the guide before you receive the adaptor. My copy is problem free after the conversion. You may try to put some spacer between the mount and the lens if it is not aligned properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is also available in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
My copy is problem free after the conversion. You may try to put some spacer between the mount and the lens if it is not aligned properly.

That will not help as the softness is on the left sometimes and at other times on the right. It has nothing to do with your mount adapter. The whole optical assembly can tilt/wobble a bit when I press sideways against the front or rear of the lens. I think it's the attachment of the outer part of the helicoid to the rear part of the lens with the aperture ring and mount. It looks like that outer helicoid part is fixed only with some mysterious pins to the bottom part of the lens -- I don't see any screws.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
My copy is problem free after the conversion. You may try to put some spacer between the mount and the lens if it is not aligned properly.

That will not help as the softness is on the left sometimes and at other times on the right. It has nothing to do with your mount adapter. The whole optical assembly can tilt/wobble a bit when I press sideways against the front or rear of the lens. I think it's the attachment of the outer part of the helicoid to the rear part of the lens with the aperture ring and mount. It looks like that outer helicoid part is fixed only with some mysterious pins to the bottom part of the lens -- I don't see any screws.

I opened the lens from the lens mount. You may have to open the lens again if your guess is correct.

By the way, the M42 version of this lens is more expensive than the QBM version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I opened the lens from the lens mount. You may have to open the lens again if your guess is correct.

Do you have a Singapore made lens (with rubber focus and aperture ring)? If this is the case how did you open it from the mount?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Do you have a Singapore made lens (with rubber focus and aperture ring)? If this is the case how did you open it from the mount?

Follow the instruction in this Chinese site. Forget about the bottom part of this page if you are not converting it to M42.

Open the lens by rotating the mount with a spanner in the small hold as shown in the third photo. If you get another version of this lens(probably the copy own by AhamB), you may need to open it by can opener or drill two holds on the mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Follow the instruction in this Chinese site. Forget about the bottom part of this page if you are not converting it to M42.

Open the lens by rotating the mount with a spanner in the small hold as shown in the third photo. If you get another version of this lens(probably the copy own by AhamB), you may need to open it by can opener or drill two holds on the mount.

You are the man! Thank you so much! I though it is working this way but got instructions that this lens can be opened only from the front. Now I will positively think about a conversion as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Follow the instruction in this Chinese site.

Is there somewhere a list of the lenses reviewed on this site? I found this page http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/lensdiy.htm but it doesn't list the Rollei HFT 50mm f1.8 lens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Follow the instruction in this Chinese site.

Is there somewhere a list of the lenses reviewed on this site? I found this page http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/lensdiy.htm but it doesn't list the Rollei HFT 50mm f1.8 lens

This is a lens DIY modification site.
http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/photodiy.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question for those who know that lens:
Is that the same optics as the old Zeiss Ultron 50 1.8 Icarex 35 M42 mount with the front concave glass ??

I have been trying this lens and liked it a lot (though the one I wanted to buy was splitting in two due to some internal screws broken)

The Icarex M42 is sensibly more expansive than this one on the bay.
Is that just a collecting bias or the optics are indeed different ??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. See http://taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Bessa_RF_histo.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Juan. The front concave element is mostly what differs then

Anybody can comment on the IQ of one over the other ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my results here: http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-ultron-f1-8-50mm-2nd-gen-with-concave-front-t57292,highlight,%2Bultron.html