Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37A - first outing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

£27.95

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great color and bokeh. I also love this lens too.
Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For A series lenses simply pick up a Nikon T-Mount (around £10 new) loosen the screws to remove the central section and the outer ring is essentially an A mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Graphic still do them John:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=12520&1=Kood+Body+Adaptor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Richard - in connection with the mount I'm not sure what you mean by "A series". Is it the "A" in Jupiter 11A, Jupiter 37A, etc. ? The 11A and 37 A certainly seem to have identical mounts. I actually tried this idea a few weeks ago with an 11A. I had an M42 T mount from a PrinzGalaxy. I removed the insert (which had the T female thread 42 x0.75 mm) and was left with the M42 "collar" with the 3 grub screws. Unfortunately this collar wouldn't fit over the end of the 11A (after removing the original M42 mount). Looking on ebay, at pictures of Nikon T mounts, I think that I'll have the same problem with a new mount.

Bob - thanks for finding the link. When I could't find it I went to ebay and, seeing only two adapters, I almost bought one of them as a spare. I hope that I haven't panicked anyone to buying from ebay. But the pictures look OK and the shop seems to be reputable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Richard - in connection with the mount I'm not sure what you mean by "A series". Is it the "A" in Jupiter 11A, Jupiter 37A, etc. ? The 11A and 37 A certainly seem to have identical mounts. I actually tried this idea a few weeks ago with an 11A. I had an M42 T mount from a PrinzGalaxy. I removed the insert (which had the T female thread 42 x0.75 mm) and was left with the M42 "collar" with the 3 grub screws. Unfortunately this collar wouldn't fit over the end of the 11A (after removing the original M42 mount). Looking on ebay, at pictures of Nikon T mounts, I think that I'll have the same problem with a new mount.

Bob - thanks for finding the link. When I could't find it I went to ebay and, seeing only two adapters, I almost bought one of them as a spare. I hope that I haven't panicked anyone to buying from ebay. But the pictures look OK and the shop seems to be reputable.

Yes those that end in A (and the odd other lens). I used a standard Kood T2 mount, removed the inner ring. I removed the original M42 mount by undoing the three screws then used the outer ring of the Nikon mount in it's place. I've done this for all my A mount soviet lenses - works perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:

No problem John - I've no connection with Speed Graphic but I have been using them for years now and the only problem I've ever had was when they sent a wrong body cap in an order. The cap was replaced, I got a personal apology from the owner and he told me to just keep the wrong cap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

I bought mine from www.speedgraphic.co.uk about 3-4 months ago. Cost was about 30 GBP (excl. delivery). I've just checked and they don't seem to be selling them now. However a quick ebay search for "Kood + Nikon" reveals a couple - again for about £30 GBP. The adapter comes with a cap and "spanner" (not shown above).

Hi Sichko,

is there any magnifying factor involved with the use of glass element in those kind of adapters? For exemple, a 50mm lens become a 60mm (1,2X factor) or stays the same?
Thanks.

Gaetano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Bothanic Gardem and gogeous shots. One day I will do something similar!! Very Happy

I have a similar image from Phoenix rupicola (Cliff Date Palm), it was take at my Bothanic Garden.

I will try this adapter. Thanks for share the information.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff John, the Jupiter 37A is one of my faves, you do it justice here. I have adapted mine as others have suggested with a Pentax-k t2 mount and it works perfectly, money permitting I am planning to do the same with all my Russian 'A' lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaman wrote:

Hi Sichko,

is there any magnifying factor involved with the use of glass element in those kind of adapters? For exemple, a 50mm lens become a 60mm (1,2X factor) or stays the same?
Thanks.

Gaetano

Hi Gaetano. thanks for resurrecting an 11 month old thread ! One of the suppliers (srb-griturn) suggests a factor of 1.2 exactly as you suggest. I prepared a calibration curve by photographing a metre rule at different focal lengths using a 55-200 zoom. Using this curve I estimated the 135mm + glass adapter to have an effective focal length of ~ 150mm suggesting a factor of ~ 1.1. This might be an advantage or disadvantage depending upon your point of view. I later acquired a 120 mm lens and convinved myself that the EFL of 150 mm was more useful than the native FL of 135 mm. |However, as Poolhall suggests a T2-adapter based mount is better in some respects.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a forumer many moons ago that posted some Nikon+Kood
adapter shots, nice focus and sharpness to the images. Don't know how
I missed this thread, but those are some lovely shots, Sichko!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sichko, thanks for the time you spent with lens and adapter, trying to find the effective multiplying factor.

Gaetano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised you got such nice results with an adapter. My cousin tried something similar and had terrible results. Nice work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
There was a forumer many moons ago that posted some Nikon+Kood
adapter shots, nice focus and sharpness to the images. Don't know how
I missed this thread, but those are some lovely shots, Sichko!

Thanks for your comments. I bought the adapter early in my MF career when I didn't know much about these things. I think it was suggested by a staff journalist (with a serious photography background) on "Amateur Photography" - a UK weekly. I think that I must have been lucky because there appear to be a number of different makes of "glass adapter" and some of them are not so good - as Ron's cousin's experience indicates.

There are a few threads on the Nikon-M42-glass adapter debate on this forum. I don't think that I'm the only one who has had good results with the Kood adapter. And other forum members have recommended one made by Bower.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapters I've heard woes about are of Chinese manufacture, where
the optics were not the same quality as the Japanese Kood. And I'm not
out to bash Chinese products, either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a copy of the Jupiter 37A turn up, using it on a Pentax K20D with the Pentax M42 adapter it performs quite nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some research in M42/Nikon adapters again, and I´ll give you a short update:

- I´ve got one of these KOOD adapters, too. I´m not so happy with mine, the glass lens makes a pretty cheap appearance, and there are many glares and glow on contrasty edges, especially at open apertures.

- The KOOD adapter indeed is PERFECT for mounting Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses. The aperture ring doesn´t get stuck because the diameter of the adapter is smaller than the clearance at the lenses back. The top of the lens exactly reaches 12 o´clock position when screwed in.

- The aperture doesn´t work with this adapter, as the aperture pin isn´t pushed. But I have solved this problem by putting a hard rubber seal (initially bought for the dish washing machine Laughing ) into the KOOD-adapter. It fits perfectly. If you are looking for something similar, it should be max. 40mm (outside) and at least 31mm (inside), and appr. 3mm thick.
Now I can use the aperture ring on my SX lenses, it works at all F-stops. Of course the viewfinder gets darker now when stopping down, but this doesn´t bother me at all.

- Focusing is still difficult. The D50 doesn´t have a great viewfinder, and the electronic focus indicator - which works just great with old Nikkors - seems to be distracted by the adapter. So it indicated correct focus not just in a single spot, but in a certain range of a few degrees when turning the focus ring. This makes things pretty hard, especially at low light.

- Real infinity focus doesn´t seem to work, when I put the lens at infinity focus, rooftops in 25m distance are sharp, but not the trees at the horizon. I feel this is a bit strange.

Here are two example shots with my SX 28mm F2,8 at F5,6. In the first, I got close to focusing the branches correctly. In the second, I completely messed things up, because I wanted to focus on the star, but you know, this indicator thing... So in fact, the focus is now on the side window of the balcony.

A link to the full resolution image is below the 900px version.

I´d like to know what you think. As far as I am concerned, I just admire those colours. They are so intense and dreamy, and completely different from all of my Nikkors. I didn´t use any post processing at all.

http://home.arcor.de/benediktwiemer/fotos/DSC_3300.JPG

http://home.arcor.de/benediktwiemer/fotos/DSC_3303.JPG

Regards

Benedikt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

To be aware that M42 T mount adapter in the market having 2 sizes of "collar" (inner daimeter) depend on its manufacturer.
So you have to know which brand name having smaller collar that can fit to "A series".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriengsak wrote:
Quote:

To be aware that M42 T mount adapter in the market having 2 sizes of "collar" (inner daimeter) depend on its manufacturer.
So you have to know which brand name having smaller collar that can fit to "A series".

This type should fit..

Click here to see on Ebay

... I bought a Nikon mount from the same seller. It was identical with the one in the listing except that it didn't have the name "KOOD" printed on it.

I also obtained an identical mount from speedgraphic...

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=13239

If you carry out a search on this forum you will find several discussions and sets of pictures.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Kood adaptor & Helios 44 Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm a newcomer to a old thread but I noticed that sichko mentioned that he received a Helios 44M alongside his Jupiter...

Just wondering whether any of you have managed to use the Kood/Nikon adaptor you discussed here with any of the Helios 44 variants? My understanding is that you can't use an optical type adaptor with lenses where the rear element protrudes beyond the M42 screw thread, and I believe from various sellers on eBay that the 44s all protrude by a couple of mm...

I'm hoping this is a myth (!) but would love to hear from any of you if you've tried fitting a 44 to a Nikon... I'm desperate to get some fast-ish portrait glass for my D100 but I'm on a very limited budget.

Thanks...

(PS I have, of course, been looking out for Ai/AiS Nikkors but they don't seem to be going quite so cheaply...)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Canon shooter I don't need glass adapters, but wanted to say welcome to the forum!