Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37A - first outing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 37A - first outing Reply with quote

I received a Jupiter 37A a few days ago. It cost about 25 GBP. But it did come with both caps, a hood and a case - and a Mir 1 (mint) and good examples of a Helios 44M and a Zenit E.

Yesterday was its first outing at the local Botanical Gardens (Swansea, UK). Here are few examples (D40x with Kood infinity (glass) adapter, J37A at f/5.6, RAW capture with only small adjustments to shadows/highlights/levels - no sharpening).

Dahlia 'Pink Jupiter'

It was a very bright day and I'm not sure that the lens has coped with the flare. Here's another with the same problem.

Cynara cardunculus

The next one was taken inside a glasshouse with some shade but with a lot of "glare" from a white wall.

Plumbago auriculata

The last was taken inside a shady glasshouse and I used flash.

Phoenix rupicola (Cliff Date Palm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
Here's another with the same problem

great series
on my lcd, I don't see any problem
great color, bokeh & resolution
everything look nice to me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty nice especially considering a glass adapter. I think you will work well with this one. Mid-day light is hard for most lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for your encouraging comments.

Looking at the images now they are better than I first thought. I use different computers for (i) editing and (ii) the internet connection. I think that I need to put both side by side and adjust the monitor on the first one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow up a crop and compare vs the "native" lens.

Maybe that glass adapter isn't so bad.

I like #2, bizarre plants appeal to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I small size my glass adapter also worked, in crop was awful I never used anymore. These are great captures, in this size glass adapter is invisible. Can you provide a large size image too ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

Comparison - "with" and "without" the adapter - is an obvious thing to do - but I haven't done it yet.

I've got nowhere to post the full size images yet. For the moment, here are some 100% crops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Seems you have a very, very good adapter, mine lot more worst.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "plumbago" is one of my all-time favorite flowers! There are some variation of that plant in the subalpine highlands of the Olympic Mountains locally.

The images are sharp, clean, and FULL of beautiful COLOR!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, that is very good performance I think, thats a nice lens and a very good adapter. I suppose its a matter of luck on that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments.

The plumbago is a favourite of mine too. Blue (as opposed to purple) flowers are relatively rare.

As to the lens/adapter combination - I could have "reached" three of the subjects without the infinity adapter. However I was wandering around the gardens and for many subjects it was essential. For this lens a Nikon mount is available and, if I can find one, I hope to get one. However for most MF lenses the problem of the large Nikon registration distance will remain. Soullivan produces consistently great pictures with a Nikon D80. So he must have solved the problem.

It's raining heavily at the moment and my chances of visiting the Botanic Gardens today are small. Here are a couple of indoor shots comparing the J37A with and without the infinty adapter.

Nikon D40x, J37A at f/5.6, mixed lighting - daylight/tungsten/flash, RAW capture with small adjustments to highlights/shadows/levels.

With infinity adapter

With simple mechanical (non-infinity) adapter

Infinity 100% crop

Non-infinity 100% crop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good! I see no difference! Can you put here where we can buy this adapter ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect colors and bokeh! Very nice lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from www.speedgraphic.co.uk about 3-4 months ago. Cost was about 30 GBP (excl. delivery). I've just checked and they don't seem to be selling them now. However a quick ebay search for "Kood + Nikon" reveals a couple - again for about £30 GBP. The adapter comes with a cap and "spanner" (not shown above).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.srb-griturn.com Cost ~ 42GBP (excl. delivery)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

£27.95

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great color and bokeh. I also love this lens too.
Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For A series lenses simply pick up a Nikon T-Mount (around £10 new) loosen the screws to remove the central section and the outer ring is essentially an A mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Graphic still do them John:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=12520&1=Kood+Body+Adaptor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Richard - in connection with the mount I'm not sure what you mean by "A series". Is it the "A" in Jupiter 11A, Jupiter 37A, etc. ? The 11A and 37 A certainly seem to have identical mounts. I actually tried this idea a few weeks ago with an 11A. I had an M42 T mount from a PrinzGalaxy. I removed the insert (which had the T female thread 42 x0.75 mm) and was left with the M42 "collar" with the 3 grub screws. Unfortunately this collar wouldn't fit over the end of the 11A (after removing the original M42 mount). Looking on ebay, at pictures of Nikon T mounts, I think that I'll have the same problem with a new mount.

Bob - thanks for finding the link. When I could't find it I went to ebay and, seeing only two adapters, I almost bought one of them as a spare. I hope that I haven't panicked anyone to buying from ebay. But the pictures look OK and the shop seems to be reputable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Richard - in connection with the mount I'm not sure what you mean by "A series". Is it the "A" in Jupiter 11A, Jupiter 37A, etc. ? The 11A and 37 A certainly seem to have identical mounts. I actually tried this idea a few weeks ago with an 11A. I had an M42 T mount from a PrinzGalaxy. I removed the insert (which had the T female thread 42 x0.75 mm) and was left with the M42 "collar" with the 3 grub screws. Unfortunately this collar wouldn't fit over the end of the 11A (after removing the original M42 mount). Looking on ebay, at pictures of Nikon T mounts, I think that I'll have the same problem with a new mount.

Bob - thanks for finding the link. When I could't find it I went to ebay and, seeing only two adapters, I almost bought one of them as a spare. I hope that I haven't panicked anyone to buying from ebay. But the pictures look OK and the shop seems to be reputable.

Yes those that end in A (and the odd other lens). I used a standard Kood T2 mount, removed the inner ring. I removed the original M42 mount by undoing the three screws then used the outer ring of the Nikon mount in it's place. I've done this for all my A mount soviet lenses - works perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:

No problem John - I've no connection with Speed Graphic but I have been using them for years now and the only problem I've ever had was when they sent a wrong body cap in an order. The cap was replaced, I got a personal apology from the owner and he told me to just keep the wrong cap.