Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Test shots Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Test shots Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

First shots of this lens. I quite like it. Very compact, bokeh is very smooth, hope to make some portraits with it soon.

dsc07756585 by devoscasper, on Flickr

dsc07754583 by devoscasper, on Flickr

dsc07753582 by devoscasper, on Flickr

dsc07751581 by devoscasper, on Flickr

dsc07748580 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 very nice. Excellent separation. Good colors. Crisp images. Nice bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

Yes, I think this lens is a keeper.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure excellent lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lens I've been dreaming about for a couple of years now. Hopefully I'll find a decent deal eventually. It's not as rare as it tends to be a bit overpriced now. MC version's supposed to be almost as good too. I like the rendering here, bokeh's pretty tame and the images are pleasing. I suspect you'll enjoy doing portrait shots too. Definitely a keeper of a lens, besides Minolta's usually age gracefully without any need for CLA; unlike some others.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
That's a lens I've been dreaming about for a couple of years now. Hopefully I'll find a decent deal eventually. It's not as rare as it tends to be a bit overpriced now. MC version's supposed to be almost as good too. I like the rendering here, bokeh's pretty tame and the images are pleasing. I suspect you'll enjoy doing portrait shots too. Definitely a keeper of a lens, besides Minolta's usually age gracefully without any need for CLA; unlike some others.

About two months ago the prices on Ebay were very high. But I bought this one a bit later for a really reasonable price from Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Oh yes, it's a keeper alright, it's a great lens.

I think the Rokkor 100's are all deserving of 'legendary' status. I'm lucky enough to have the MC Tele Rokkor X 2.5 which I adore, and the fat boy 100 / 3.5 Macro plus the older Rokkor PF 100 / 2 which has just about lived on my Sony for the last few months.

I really like to 100mm length anyway, I love to use my old Soligor, Schacht & Sankor lenses in that range, along with my Tamron 90 / 2.5, but I keep going back to the Rokkors, they are very very good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Test shots Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
First shots of this lens. I quite like it. Very compact, bokeh is very smooth, hope to make some portraits with it soon.

Excellent lens - your examples display its lovely rendering capabilities!
It would be great to see any possible portraits when you manage to make some.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

[img]A la branche cassée by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem someone could find with this level of sharpness is dealing with angry female subjects and being forced to do extra processing. Smile This looks even better than I expected, very nice balance of high level of detail and soft bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. Females to be avoided at all costs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice portrait lumens!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oke, I was able to make some more images today.

Lens has very nice sharpness to bokeh transition IMO:
dsc07770586 by devoscasper, on Flickr

After bribing my son with some cookies I was able to make a few portraits:

dsc07806588 by devoscasper, on Flickr

dsc07815589 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Images remind me somewhat of my Tokina AT-X 90/2.5. Similar vivid colors, good contrast, soft bokeh. The Tokina is still a bit sharper though, but for portraits really unnecessary. Both lenses hardly need any post processing. I slightly warmed up the colors, and slightly increased the exposure in RAW. The Tokina is more versatile, being a macro lens, but the Minolta is way smaller and much more compact.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
That's a lens I've been dreaming about for a couple of years now. ... MC version's supposed to be almost as good too.

Lloydy wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Oh yes, it's a keeper alright, it's a great lens.

I think the Rokkor 100's are all deserving of 'legendary' status. I'm lucky enough to have the MC Tele Rokkor X 2.5 which I adore, ...

Actiually the two optical designs of the MC/MD 2.5/100mm (earlier [6/5] and later [5/5]) are both available as MC-X! The weight of the earlier [6/5] is 430g, the weight of the later [5/5] is 375g.

All MDs are [5/5] though, and all MC-I / MC-II are [6/5] designs.

The later [5/5] design is better corrected than the earlier [6/5], but the the differences are not as distinct as between the AR/MC 2/100mm and the earlier MC 2.5/100mm.

S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Here you go.

Excellent lens and portrait!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Oke, I was able to make some more images today.

Lens has very nice sharpness to bokeh transition IMO:
Images remind me somewhat of my Tokina AT-X 90/2.5. Similar vivid colors, good contrast, soft bokeh. The Tokina is still a bit sharper though, but for portraits really unnecessary. Both lenses hardly need any post processing. I slightly warmed up the colors, and slightly increased the exposure in RAW. The Tokina is more versatile, being a macro lens, but the Minolta is way smaller and much more compact.

Lovely rendering indeed and excellent images! It reminds me somehow of my favorite Sonnar 85/2.8 for the Sony A system.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rokkor-PF version. Great lens.

Summer light by Artem, on Flickr

尾形光琳を追求しつつ by Artem, on Flickr

Lockdown by Artem, on Flickr

And MD Tele Rokkor-X.

Autumn outside by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice how you played with flare!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Dejan wrote:

About two months ago the prices on Ebay were very high. But I bought this one a bit later for a really reasonable price from Germany.

I think I was about to buy this very lens. I was eyeing it for a week or so and when decided to buy it was gone. Well, as you said earlier: it is not rare, it is just a matter of the proper proce. The current prices on this lens are insane. The same or even higher than the 85mm. Hope find it one day for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Dejan wrote:

I think I was about to buy this very lens. I was eyeing it for a week or so and when decided to buy it was gone. Well, as you said earlier: it is not rare, it is just a matter of the proper proce. The current prices on this lens are insane. The same or even higher than the 85mm. Hope find it one day for a reasonable price.

I'm sorry about that Smile
Anyway, the lens had a little issue with the aperture (wouldn't always close), but the seller agreed to pay for the repair.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I'm sorry about that Smile
Anyway, the lens had a little issue with the aperture (wouldn't always close), but the seller agreed to pay for the repair.

That's all right. If I didn't snatch it right away - I did not long for it that much )) I bought some other lenses instead, including beautiful almost mint Mamiya CS 300mm f4 and SMC Pentax 20mm f4 (that one with some issues as well).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to use mine as a portrait lens. It delivers lovely colors and isn't razor-sharp, so it gives a bit of a nostalgic, soft feeling. It's got just enough character. Not the lens I would use for every portrait, because that could become tiresome, but I have never gotten a shot from it I didn't like (at least, not one that was the lens's fault).