Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A test: Soligor 2X doubler and CZJ Sonnar 135 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: A test: Soligor 2X doubler and CZJ Sonnar 135 M42 Reply with quote

This morning a Hoopoe has appeared in the garden and I've been shooting it with the CZJ Sonnar 135. But the focal was too short to get a decent take of the small bird.
So I've been trying the Soligor doubler to see if the result could be acceptable for an emergency like that one.

I've shot a few pictures, results are not too bad, as an example the pool seen from my flat, (second floor):

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jesito. The results look pretty nice, but then again, the Sonnar 135 is also a great lens. Smile Could you please post a picture of what the 2x tele looks like? I'm currently looking for some m42 converters, but the branding is sometimes so wacky that I'd like to see a picture of a decent performer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice, Jes, that you are satisfied witht the results.
None of my M42-teleconverters have ever produced good results. They were good for "emergency" situatuions, but not really more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
Hi Jesito. The results look pretty nice, but then again, the Sonnar 135 is also a great lens. Smile Could you please post a picture of what the 2x tele looks like? I'm currently looking for some m42 converters, but the branding is sometimes so wacky that I'd like to see a picture of a decent performer.

For sure, Dave. Tonight when I arrive home, I'll take some shots.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
None of my M42-teleconverters have ever produced good results. They were good for "emergency" situatuions, but not really more.

Hi Carsten, my previous experiences were frustating (I used a 2x with the Exaktas). But this time the results are better, although not perfect, and as you say "only for emergency" situations.
I plan to try it to get some moon pictures. That's really an emergency situation because I'm not going to buy a long tele just to shoot a few moon shots... Smile

Kind regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I agree but what is an 'Emergancy situation'? Laughing
I think I would rather shoot the poor bird with a shotgun Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that the telemore x2 (7 elements) is one of the better in M 42. Ebay @ $ 35.

If you use an important tele only a few times, perhaps the x2/3 can be interesant compromise solution.

I never use one, but it sound interesant for me now.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kiron made Vivitar macro 2xTC almost invisible or invisible on pictures, best one from cheap ones what I tested. Tamron SP 2X TC was disappointing. I see no practical usage of any. A cheap double focal length lens mostly provide better quality and not loosing f stops.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't test enough my doubler but I found that quality is greatly dependent of the lens. My last moon shot was with a 70-200 + doubler and result was better than tamron 300 with 2 doublers (1200mmx1.6=1920mm)
http://forum.mflenses.com/moon-t11543,highlight,moon.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufacturers mostly designed TC for a lens , not for every lens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 135 m, little ones (CZJ) with a 2X it's a short and light 270 mm., it will be handy, and handheld better than a 300 mm. Perhaps it's good for street surprise circumstances. And make lighter your street equipment. Of course, it can be usable when the message isn't the medium.

It seem to me, not more. I never use them.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck has been slim for me with TC's
I have the Mutar II now and although it is excellent it is limited to use with longer lenses only (135mm +)
It would seem that if a TC is going to be usefull it should work with lenses 50mm + .
I don't expect that a TC would work well with a lenes wider than 50mm but at least with.
I also have a Komura m42 2x and it is just OK at best.
Once again it really only works well with longer lenses.
Maybe this is to do with it working better with slower lenses.
I should try sometime with a yashinon 4/55macro and see if that helps.

The zoom TC that Luis tested the other day is cool. Of course Luis was using it Wink "Midas" can use anything and make it look good Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:

Here you have, pretty straightforward:

#1 Side view

#2 Top view

#3 Bottom view

Hope this helps.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I agree but what is an 'Emergancy situation'? Laughing
I think I would rather shoot the poor bird with a shotgun Laughing

I don't know what an 'Emergancy situation' is. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing how sharp the czj can be, I doubt a 2x will work as great with other lenses.

A better option is to put some strong glue on a branch to hold the bird in place and walk right up to it.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Knowing how sharp the czj can be, I doubt a 2x will work as great with other lenses.

A better option is to put some strong glue on a branch to hold the bird in place and walk right up to it.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Clever, Laughing