Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5 - Going outside !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5 - Going outside ! Reply with quote

I made my new Exakta->PK adapter with the Zeiss Biotar in mind. With a secure adapter this hefty lens can be taken "on the road", along with the Meyer Telemegor.

I disasssembled the helical (very easy on the Biotar) and adjusted it to achieve infinity on the PK adapter. This works like a charm.

So, how was this poor dirty, scratched, hazed Biotar ?

I must say I am now a convert to the cult of Zeiss. This thing has got to be the best lens I own, with no exceptions. I repent of all the thoughts I had about all you guys being a bit eccentric on the Zeiss thing. I have seen the light !

The bird - actually the figurehead of the US Coast Guard Ship "Eagle"

crop -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures. I can see why you are a convert.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis wrote:
I must say I am now a convert to the cult of Zeiss.

congrats & welcome to the big family Very Happy
this biotar is one of the best Zeiss and I hope to get one someday

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I'm saving, I'm saving my money bad Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Biotar 1.5/75 has the reputation of being one of the best lenses ever made.
And you shots seem to prove it.

(I am still mad about me sometimes, because I once had the chance to buy such a lens, professionally, by Zeiss, converted to M42, for €300,- from one of my favourite sellers. And I did not take it! Mad )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in the Club of Zeiss owners Wink Beautiful samples, this poor lens landed in right hands! I am very happy now!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome in the Club of Zeiss owners Wink Beautiful samples, this poor lens landed in right hands! I am very happy now!

Me too. This lens knocks spots off some of the newer lenses with fancy names. I love the hat! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must say I am now a convert to the cult of Zeiss.

I guess someone is not selling his lens now Very Happy Congratulation on keeping the lens. Looking forward to more pics.

Like you, I am now a Zeiss fan too; started with the Takumars, than various other makes, now it's the Zeiss.

[/list]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end always Zeiss, Olympus , Leica...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to think you were going to sell this lens Luis.... Laughing

See.... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice shots in particular that hat, and typical Zeiss colour!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Love the colors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that first shot....
How do I look for this lens?
I want one.. Laughing

Seriously...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:
I really like that first shot....
How do I look for this lens?
I want one.. Laughing

Seriously...

Click here to see on Ebay

and so on and on

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is most rare and most expensive pre-war lens, quality is less than others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a reasonable price for this lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Polish dealer may have it almost right for one in very good condition, around $400.

Those guys seem to have more reasonable prices for the European equipment.

Let me qualify that - this Polish dealer wants only about twice as much as the reasonable price, which is pretty good, considering his competition (Gokevin, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there is a dealer in Hungary that would take an order for one at a minimal charge Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think that there is a dealer in Hungary that would take an order for one at a minimal charge "

Good point !

He doesn't have any for sale at the moment though ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Pancolar 80mm and Biotar 75mm I try to never sell any of them. I can't Wink First one will trade with Andy to Olympus 90mm f2 ,I will give him a Pancolar 80+Flektogon 20mm f2.8 MC.

400 USD a good price for fat Biotar. First one is priceless because so rare I bought mine for 400 EUR on friendly price.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take a lot of work on color white balance to make a modern lens work like this. Maybe halfway between neutral and warm, but no Expodisc or some such is like that. Their warm is way too warm. Or, use an old lens. I am going to carry this and Tomioka 55/1.2 for a while.

It is ironic that the 1930's and 1951 have in common close focusing, skinny shape, lots of diaphragm blades(18 or 20? I forget). The fat or WW2 era glass is great, about the same.

I see bubbles in glass of one 1951, and no bubbles in the other. The writing and markings have the same general look, but numbers are a little different in size and metal looks different in color between the two. Micro variations, micro history. One is R-Biotar.

I bought two seized-up fat biotars. One is a medical mount. I think they can be fixed. Glass is perfect.

Last edited by BobDodds on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if there is a reputable seller for this lens?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exaklaus ,Cupog both are ebay seller.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These(yours above) pictures rebut the claim that biotar 75 does not saturate images. Look at the hat! Maybe there is a variation between 75's. I have a 1930's that is sharper than a particular 1951. I will test a different 1951 soon, maybe the first week of October.

http://www.pbase.com/recbo/czj75t1

http://www.pbase.com/recbo/image/92602700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

To die for - those Zeiss lenses certainly occupy a special place for everyone who has one

patrickh