Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Ennagon 2.8/85 (projector lens) - updated!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: MC Ennagon 2.8/85 (projector lens) - updated! Reply with quote

This is another way to use the lens tube:
I out an MC Ennagon 2.8/85 projector lens in it and can use it as a short tele with constant aperture of f2.8.

Here we go:

And here are two pictures:

Not bad, is it? But if you compare these shots to the one taken with the Wilon lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=747
you can see a quality difference. Especially the bokeh of the Ennagon is not really creamy - but then, it's a lens for a slide projector! Wink

Carsten

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun May 06, 2007 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MC Ennagon 2.8/85 (projector lens) Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
This is another way to use the lens tube:
I out an MC Ennagon 2.8/85 projector lens in it and can use it as a short tele with constant aperture of f2.8.

Not bad, is it? But if you compare these shots to the one taken with the Wilon lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=747
you can see a quality difference. Especially the bokeh of the Ennagon is not really creamy - but then, it's a lens for a slide projector! Wink

Carsten

Carston,
This is great. I have a couple of projector and other lenses I aould like to mount this way. What kind of tube are you using? Is this just PVC pipe?

Thanks

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jules!

Yes, it is a regular PP (PP-H) pipe that normally is used for smaller conduits.
They come with different diameters. Just take the one that fits the lens.

I went the following steps:

1) Try to find out the register distance of the lens by just holding it in front of the cam and trying to focus on infinity by moving the lens to and from the camera. Measure this distance.

2) Cut a muffle (a bush that is used to connect two pipes) to the right size - about 4/5 of the register distance.

3) Cut a pipe also at about 4/5 of the register distance. This will late give you enough tolerance to focus by moving the pipe inside the muffle.

4) The gasket of the muffle normally closes very tight on the pipe so that it doesn't move. Thus you have to crop the gasket a little, just enough to get a smoothly moving pipe and not too much to have light leaks. A carpet cutter (box cutter) is a useful tool to do that.

5) Drill a hole in a EOS body cap with a diameter big enough for the pipe, but not bigger than the pipe.

6) Use holt-melt adhesive (or any other fluid plastic) to glue the muffle to the body cap.

7) Fix the lens inside the pipe (some kind of duct tape should do).

Cool Stick the lens/pipe into the muffle/cap.

9) Attach the construction to your EOS cam and off you go...

Carsten

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah lets have some mounting pics! Embarassed I am trying to get a zenza bronica onto a 350D I understand that you are mounting the tube onto the body cap with what looks like a LOT of glue, I have never felt as thought there was enough contact between these two surfaces for the glue to hold it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Here are some pics.

But I neither have the talent nor the time to build a professional looking device. The most important thing is, it works!
It's a quick'n'dirty solution. Wink

And I'm not finished with it. The whole thing will get some detail work (cut off some glue at some places) and a black paint, inside and outside.

This is quick paint drawing of how the muffle is glued to the body cap:

Carsten[/img]

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY IMPORTANT: You have to use some kind of liquid plastic! Normal glue won't do!

I'm not sure if I was brave enough to do that to fix a lens to a body cap... Confused

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
VERY IMPORTANT: You have to use some kind of liquid plastic! Normal glue won't do!

I'm not sure if I was brave enough to do that to fix a lens to a body cap... Confused

Bravery comes in many forms, Carsten, thanks for sharing! Very Happy
I hope you post a pic of the finished product when you apply the black
body paint, flame decals, etc. Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, what did you use to cut the round hole in the body cap? If I
did this project, I'd probably use a 2-part epoxy like J-B Weld that is
black when mixed. Dunno if it's available in Europe, but there might be
an equivalent.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea ! Almost good as mine with tape and Tessar M42 end Smile Kidding! Truly good idea!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Carsten, what did you use to cut the round hole in the body cap? I

I used a kind of mini grinder and "cut" with a cone-shaped top.

katastrofo wrote:
If I did this project, I'd probably use a 2-part epoxy like J-B Weld that is black when mixed. Dunno if it's available in Europe, but there might be an equivalent.

Yes, a 2-part epoxy might work. What you need is mass that holds together the two parts, since they do not have a large contact area.

Carsten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Carsten, I was joking around a little too, but seriously want to
see your finished product. I have some cutters that fit to a drill press
in different diameters (look like saw blades in a circle) that might work
for something like this. They're designed more for cutting holes in wood,
tho.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LucisPictor"]Hi, Jules!

Yes, it is a regular PP (PP-H) pipe that normally is used for smaller conduits.
They come with different diameters. Just take the one that fits the lens.

I went the following steps:

Thanks so much Carsten.

Perfect!

I have a Kodak Commercial 81/2 inch LF lens that is almost like new and have been thinking about mounting it some way for my various cameras.
You inspired me.

Thanks again

Jules

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more work, it looks like this:

I painted the tubes matt black and put some anti-slip duct tape around the mounted pipe, in order to have a better grip.

As a next (and last step) I will add a 49mm UV-filter at the mount of the tube to prevent particles and dust falling into the camera body.