Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rain Forest Floor Understory and Tree Trunks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Rain Forest Floor Understory and Tree Trunks Reply with quote

I shot quite a few "low level" images last time in the rain forest, as the sun was full (and 80 degrees!). These are not meant to be "beauty shots", but rather a compilation of species and to show the nature of the rain forest under the primary canopy.

It's always fun to see places, and it's something I enjoy when seeing all of your images of your country and its landscape.

I already showed one of the "forest floor" images in a previous post.

Highlighted Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla)
Tamron 70-210

Leprechauns
Oregon Oxalis (Oxalis oregonus)
Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla)
Bracken Fern (Pteridium aqualinum)
Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis) in the background
Halide Moss (Isothecium myosoides)

Secret
Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) growing over old Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii)

Vine Maple (Acer circinatum Pursh) sub-crown under the primary canopy

Morning Sun on Fir Stump
Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) Roots Taking Hold in Decomposing Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) Stump

Western Hemlock (Tusga heterophylla) in Creek Bed
Sword Ferns (Polystichum munitum) on rock walls
Deer Ferns (Blechnum spicant)
Maidenhair Ferns (Adiantum pentadactylon)
Twisted Stalk (Streptopus lanceolatus)

Canadian Ground-Dogwood (Cornus canadensis) on Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata)

Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) Climax Forest

Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum)

Alaska Yellow Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis) and Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) in Spray Zone of Creek Bed

Red Alder (Alnus rubra)

Mountain Hemlocks (Tsuga mertensiana) and Pacific Silver Fir (Abies amabilis) in Spray Zone

Last edited by Laurence on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would see all day your pictures and do nothing else!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Likewise.... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Attila: Thank you very much, I appreciate the comments. These were more to just show the terrain and species, but I'll take any compliment I can get! Very Happy

Some of the images are not even "processed" - the ones without "frames" are just RAW or primary JPG images that I haven't worked on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a fantastic botanical report!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish to see your book.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Attila wrote:

Likewise.... Cool

Bob, the Wikipedia indicates there is some similar temperate rain forest existing in very small areas on the northwest Scottish coastal areas. Have you seen them?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb as always!
you already post 'Red Alder (Alnus rubra)', quite a unforgettable superb pic!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Attila, it's in the publisher's hands, and they've asked me not to circulate final copies until they give final approval for the book.

However, if you would like I could send or post some manuscript drafts, if you don't mind viewing non-edited versions. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb as always!
you already post 'Red Alder (Alnus rubra)', quite a unforgettable superb pic!

Thank you poilu! There are several that I've posted before, but wanted to show the terrain with examples.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is BEAUTIFUL weather today, at 80 degrees and very low humidity. I am sitting in front of the computer with only shorts on! I can't do much, however, as my arm is painful from therapy this morning.

But, I DID mow the lawn with one hand, and did some weeding in the garden! And, I'm going to make a cheesecake. So...I can do SOME things!

Would anyone like to see some Alpine terrain examples, sort of on the same format of this "forest floor and sub-canopy" thread? It looks like I am having time on my hands today...

Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Attila wrote:

Attila, it's in the publisher's hands, and they've asked me not to circulate final copies until they give final approval for the book.

However, if you would like I could send or post some manuscript drafts, if you don't mind viewing non-edited versions. Confused

Wow! Please do it !!! I will kept in secret!

And if it published let we us where we can purchase!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
bob955i wrote:
Attila wrote:

Likewise.... Cool

Bob, the Wikipedia indicates there is some similar temperate rain forest existing in very small areas on the northwest Scottish coastal areas. Have you seen them?

I probably have Larry but never classed them as being temperate rain forest - more like temperate woodland.

According to Wikipedia, what is classified as British National Vegetation Classification community W11 qualifies as temperate rain forest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_NVC_community_W11

The main tree for this particular community is the silver birch which I wouldn't immediately have associated with a rain forest. Highland Perthshire has vast tracts of deciduous trees including oak and birch but isn't on the west coast so I'm unsure if this area could be considered rain forest. I'm no botanist so would have to do some additional species research to specifically locate the rain forest areas in question.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

And if it published let we us where we can purchase!

I want to purchase directly from the author with his own signature on the 3rd page! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all you folks! It's still a long shot to actually get published, especially in these troubled economic times.

In January, the book was in the Top10 of the editors' personal lists, but they have cut that down to Top5, and I think I am number 5. So, don't know exactly what that means.

Even if it doesn't work out, that's okay, because it is great fun to write about things I love!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

Post anything you want - many of us thoroughly admire your body of work. Hope the arm heals fully soon, but my experience as I get older is that everything takes longer Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And be careful with your arm if you make torture with that, perhaps will never be fully ok again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dogwood and Red Alder are probably my favourites, but it's a tricky choice.

I'd let the publisher know you've got a few firm orders (well you can count me in Wink ).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank all of you for the GREAT encouragement you've given me. As you know, I think we all have "doubts" about our own personal work...guess it's the old "we are our own critics" syndrome. Thanks to you, my confidence is growing, though I know that my modest work can't compare to someone who has been doing this a long time.

Frankly, I haven't ever really gotten any complimentary statements from the several fellow photographers I've been associated with, and have photographed with, these past couple of years.

My wife even noticed that, "Larry, you give these three photographer guys a lot of praise and also a lot of personal opinions on what could be better. But they don't ever seem to give you anything in return. What is with that?"

And, of course, there is not answer I could give to that. However, my wife said, "I hate to say this Larry, but I think they don't WANT your work to be "adequate".

So, I started listening to what she said, and unfortunately I DO see what she is talking about...very disapppointing.

So, when I get praise and encouragement from a body like this forum, it lets me know that I could possibly be "as good as the next guy". I appreciate that; it's difficult to critique our own work, for sure. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
So, when I get praise and encouragement from a body like this forum, it lets me know that I could possibly be "as good as the next guy". I appreciate that

not only you are our hero photographer but we also appreciate you as a nice person.
you are also lucky to get nice advice from your wife, behind every great man it's often a great woman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
Frankly, I haven't ever really gotten any complimentary statements from the several fellow photographers I've been associated with, and have photographed with, these past couple of years.

My wife even noticed that, "Larry, you give these three photographer guys a lot of praise and also a lot of personal opinions on what could be better. But they don't ever seem to give you anything in return. What is with that?"

And, of course, there is not answer I could give to that. However, my wife said, "I hate to say this Larry, but I think they don't WANT your work to be "adequate".

So, I started listening to what she said, and unfortunately I DO see what she is talking about...very disapppointing.

Otherwise known as "jealousy" my friend.... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply marvellous shots no need to say anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for the book too Larry. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it this way: If the book does NOT take hold with the publisher, I'll go to web-based self-publishing and provide books for all of you who might want one, and we can just divide up the cost. For instance on icantbepublished.com, it is about $80.00 to make up to 20 "books"...which would be about $4.00 each.

This is in exchange for being very good people.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Only shorts? Reply with quote

OK Laurence.. why is your computer wearing shorts? I think this is taking the American cultural aberration of modesty a step too far? lol

Seriously great shots.. I now feel obliged to head out for some Oregonian rain forest and show you that our trees are not to be upstaged (though my pictures probably will be!)

Doug.

Laurence wrote:
It is BEAUTIFUL weather today, at 80 degrees and very low humidity. I am sitting in front of the computer with only shorts on! I can't do much, however, as my arm is painful from therapy this morning.

But, I DID mow the lawn with one hand, and did some weeding in the garden! And, I'm going to make a cheesecake. So...I can do SOME things!

Would anyone like to see some Alpine terrain examples, sort of on the same format of this "forest floor and sub-canopy" thread? It looks like I am having time on my hands today...

Confused