Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light at the Creek
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Light at the Creek Reply with quote

Here is some nice lighting on the creek that I camped by for a night on my rain forest journey.

I thought the light looked very nice, with the reflecting tones from the foliage coloring the water with a variety of colors.

Mamiya RB67 Pro-S
Cropped and scanned via Epson V700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAZING!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this on medium format! Real masterclass!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is simply stunning, and I don't use that word lightly. The yellow swirls, the movement, the composition, all exemplary! Was this slide film?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAZING!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't expect these kinds of replies! Shocked It's interesting how, when you take in image yourself, you become your own worst critic. So, it's a surprise to see such positive reactions.

Anyway, this is a crop from a Velvia 50 transparency. The bottom part of the original image was not very interesting. I guess that's one nice thing about the large transparency - I can crop and still have enough "real estate" left on the transparency to print nicely.

I usually keep notes on shutter and exposure values, but didn't on this one. However, I am almost certain it was f:8 and 1/2 second. I used a polarizer at about "1/3" of full strength. Did not do any photoshop work, except for the crop of course.

Thanks for the feedback, I will probably keep this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I'd go ahead and throw this shot away. The way you shoot, a better
shot is just moments away, anyway. Laughing

Agree with above comments, beautifully caught! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a beautiful shot Larry.

I like the fact that some would think it is a photoshop technique. Just goes to prove what you can do in the real world with a keen eye and a sharp mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I like the fact that some would think it is a photoshop technique. Just goes to prove what you can do in the real world with a keen eye and a sharp mind

Exactly my thoughts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS all of you! I am gratified and flattered that this shot "makes the grade".

With the very low sun, and the reflectance of the clear water, it was almost a REQUIREMENT to make this shot. It was all there waiting for me, and the colors were already so saturated that I did not need to do anything in Silverfast except crop! I feel lucky to have that kind of an image just put right in front of my eyes.

The light was variable because of moving clouds, but when the sun would just start to clear away from a cloud, the light would turn this way for several seconds. So, it was only a matter of waiting and snapping when the time was right. Very Happy Also, the water itself already had a very pleasing blue tonality, and so in conjunction with the yellow and reddish tones, the color wheel contrast was in place.

I would like to have been able to bring out the shadow detail in the rocks a little better, but Velvia gives very little leeway in doing that.