Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor (maker unknown) preset 135/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Soligor (maker unknown) preset 135/2.8 Reply with quote

I mentioned this interesting lens a few days ago -

It is I believe one of the earliest products sold by Allied Impex (the marketing company that created the Soligor brand). Allied Impex of course didn't actually make lenses, they sold various makers products under their label. Some quite similar lenses were made for Miranda (Japanese camera manufacturer) in the late 1950's, but Miranda didn't make lenses either. Soligor and Miranda had a long relationship. None of this identifies the maker. Any information would be appreciated.

This particular lens came with an Exakta mount. It looks like it was designed to accept various mounts easily, but its not a T-mount, it must predate the rise of the T-mounts. Other makers came up with their own standardized mechanical arrangements to easily substitute camera mounts. I changed the Exakta mount with my own contraption to turn it into M42.

This is, as usual with lenses from that era, extremely well made, heavy and precise in workmanship. The glass is clean and clear without apparent haze, fungus or other problems.

Its performance, however, is not particularly good. It flares much worse than average, and at f/2.8 its extremely soft and full of aberrations. These clear up at f/5.6 or so. It would make an interesting "pictorial" portrait lens perhaps.

It was a foggy day, anything at a distance tends to get a degraded image (usual summer weather here).

At f/2.8 -

f/4 I think -

Other apertures -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would make an interesting "pictorial" portrait lens perhaps.

I agree! The 2.8 shot almost looks like the "Vaseline effect" that some photographers use for portraiture. I would test it out in that fashion and maybe your opinion will change...

The first bird shot is fantastic. I wonder how you got it with only a 135mm?

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples from a handsome lens.