Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

John Riley (with MTF chart) Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: John Riley (with MTF chart) Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8. Reply with quote

I’ve praised this lens before because of its tiny size, yet great optical quality and fine build quality. Thought I’d share a more in depth review with you: https://www.pentaxuser.com/review/smc-pentax-m-100mm-f-2-8-lens-review-2237

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read, if not a bit strange discussion of focal lengths.
For years, my first reaction would be to reach for an 85 if 135 was too tight- probably just a matter of personal perception.

There are a few optical equals to the lens discussed- if one can forgive 5mm, the 105 f2.5 A/I-s nikkor cuts a pretty sharp path, with a slightly larger physical presence. The 100mm series E comes close with compact size and great optics. It's draw back is the squeaking, groaning plastic construction.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting read, if not a bit strange discussion of focal lengths.
For years, my first reaction would be to reach for an 85 if 135 was too tight- probably just a matter of personal perception.

There are a few optical equals to the lens discussed- if one can forgive 5mm, the 105 f2.5 A/I-s nikkor cuts a pretty sharp path, with a slightly larger physical presence. The 100mm series E comes close with compact size and great optics. It's draw back is the squeaking, groaning plastic construction.

-D.S.

The good thing about the Pentax is, that is has no real weak points. It's half the weight of the Nikkor Ai(s) and it is usually cheap.
Closest lens I can think of is the Zuiko 100/2.8, but it is usually much more expensive, and optically slightly weaker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you place this lens in the 100Club that you had before ?

i rememebr T 100/2.8 and selling it ..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
where do you place this lens in the 100Club that you had before ?

i rememebr T 100/2.8 and selling it ..

Pretty high, because of great value.

Optically comparable to Nikkor 105/2.5 ai-s and late Minolta MC(5/5) and MD 100/2.5.
Mechanically it's as good as you can expect from a lightweight lens; definitely better than the later Minolta MD's.
Practicality: 10 out of 10.

The Zuiko I shouldn't have sold; mechanically it's a jewel (and it looks like one).