Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Improving Mirror Lens Contrast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Improving Mirror Lens Contrast Reply with quote

Here is an article on a way to reduce stray light in catadioptrics and reflecting telescopes, which improves contrast markedly.

https://retrofocal.com/articles/improving-mirror-lens-image-quality/

The synopsis is that mirror lenses and reflecting telescopes show the sensor a reflection of itself, which hazes the image, but the spot that forms that reflection doesn’t participate in making the image, so it can be blackened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazingly simple idea, it is surprising it hasn't been addressed by designers. It would seem that the effectiveness of the manufacturers sensor coatings would also be a factor. However, as noted, the best idea could be that shown in the link.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept.

Almost seems too obvious to be true; given that some mirror lenses already contain internal baffles and cones to block stray light and reflections, one would have thought something as simple/obvious as this would not have been overlooked. But then that sometimes does happen.

Also, reflection of film was less of a problem than digital sensor reflections are, so maybe it wasn't considered as much of a problem then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a mirror eager to give it a try?
I don't have one but I'm curious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Anyone with a mirror eager to give it a try?
I don't have one but I'm curious.

Eager, yes. But sufficiently confident of my skills, no.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very detailed article, I am interested to try this out, I have more than one tamron 500mm so can compare.
It's a bit curious as to who wrote this piece, the webpage/website has no info....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Also, reflection of film was less of a problem than digital sensor reflections are, so maybe it wasn't considered as much of a problem then.

Still there is a way longer period of mirror lenses used with film, on a variety of tasks and with film emulsions that have different reflection values. Possibly the film reflection was less visible while more uniformily spread than the hot spot reflection of a sensor is. Anyway contrast loss would still be measurable. Maybe a lower T-stop number had better marketing value than enhanced contrast.
Digital sensors were already used in astronomy before the general photography sector could buy them. Mirror lenses more common there.
All together it is a mystery why nothing on this subject has been published before.
I do hope the writer archived a list of his disc measurements for the popular mirror lenses
he tweaked. I guess with a 3D printer at hand it would even be possible to make the proposed cones to fill in the voids between the light paths. Black 3.0 painted for low reflection.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. I have a cheap Tokina I might try this with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding film's differing reflectivities, I thought the same thing about film. But I was reading an article about Maitani's design process for the OM-1, which metered off-the-film. If I recall correctly, in the interview he stated that he got samples of every film stock available on the market, and metered off them, and found them all within 10% of each other, validating that off-the-film metering would work OK. Then he went ahead and designed the system and it worked well. There weren't very many cameras that metered off the film, but the ones that did (several of the OM, as I recall, as well as the Minolta CLE) metered quite well. So maybe film stocks aren't as different as one would think?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaprb wrote:
Regarding film's differing reflectivities, I thought the same thing about film. But I was reading an article about Maitani's design process for the OM-1, which metered off-the-film. If I recall correctly, in the interview he stated that he got samples of every film stock available on the market, and metered off them, and found them all within 10% of each other, validating that off-the-film metering would work OK. Then he went ahead and designed the system and it worked well. There weren't very many cameras that metered off the film, but the ones that did (several of the OM, as I recall, as well as the Minolta CLE) metered quite well. So maybe film stocks aren't as different as one would think?

That the OM system worked is already an indication film reflected a measurable amount of light. I was thinking whether the film emulsions gloss differences could shift the reflection between diffuse to more directed light.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an OM2N and it has two sensors at the bottom of the mirror box, only effects exposure when film is fully visible and static.

Now thinking it through, it is getting difused light at the bottom of the box, So reflections are also difused. Less trouble forthe unused bit of the mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting as I have quite a few such lenses and some do have lower contrast...

Like 1 small Like 1 small