Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are your thoughts on this wide angle lens lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: What are your thoughts on this wide angle lens lens? Reply with quote

This is a wide angle lens made for full frame camera with with the following spec:

Focal length: 28mm to 35mm (inclusive)
Aperture: F2.0 to F2.5 (inclusive)
MFD: 30cm to 40cm (inclusive)

This is an interesting lens with some characters I have never seen. I got some interesting comments from one of my friends after I sent him the sample photos.

All the photos are taken with Sony A7RII. The images are sized to 50% of the original with the default Adobe Lightroom settings. It is best to download the photos and view it at 100%.

Any comments would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my initial findings looking at your pictures;

for my taste i dont find it very special.

i do have a feeling as some images are in a slight movement so it does resent the typical action of an old skool street photogaphy.
could be the lens also rendering like that.
so this could be seen as a special character and be used for that purpose

it's clear to me that images are made with digital camera and a 'less quality lens'.

it looks somewhat soft, but with the details = soft & soft micro contrast?

strange to me is that direct light source picture. very much without flare and minimal ghosting. modern or old ..?

with a different white-balance setup or a bit of PP could mimic analogue photography.
could also look good in black-white with added noise / grain, .. maybe.

something reminds me on pentacon 29, checked other images .. no its not.
you have mentioned few days back, your lens collection from between '30-'60, uncoated.
In that case i cant comment much

to close it down, im not sure if i like it.
it has some potential but then i should use it my self to try it out and be sure bout that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess it is closer to 35 than 28mm. A bit bloomy in the night shots, can't really tell if it is decentered or not in these pics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is coated. All the photo are taken at wide open or slightly stop down. Here is one more photo focused at about 2 to 3 meter.

@alex_d
You have a pair of well-trained eyes on identifying MFlenses. If you have time to visit Hong Kong, make sure you send me a pm. Wink

@caspert79
I don't think it is made by Cosina.

@D1N0
Yes. It is more close to 35mm.

I don't think the lens is decentered. Check out the extra photo below. The photo is deliberately overexposed to keep the shadows visible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second thoughts

well controlled flare & ghosting so that's mostly for modern lenses.

also the texture (render) of the image is more modern-ish than vintage-ish.
OOF is very smooth and with clear boheh balls.
from what i have seen, if is some of those '30-'60 lenses, OOF would be different, much more bussy.
There are some pics here of DKL lenses and i take that as a reference for this case.

could it be some samyang-ish or a modern better chinese-ish

however, this 'movement' what i wrote about and d1no mentioned as decentred - for me it's the character that it makes confusing here.

but also on the last pic, purple ca is to me very characteristic type for a modern lens.
it's an interessting quiz. you did it before me as i was planning something but still no time.

one more take on a vintage-ish, a decentred lydith 30?

thanx for the invitation to HK!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was that these snapshots are far too "wild" and chaotic to show the potential of any lens (unless it would be a "perfect" lens such as th Zeiss Otus 1.4/28mm). The images have an extreme contrast, they probably were shot with high ISO, there's movement, and the colors don't look nice (NOT a fault of the lens - I am simply talking about the crude artificial light). All this makes it dfficult for me to clearly see the advantages and disadvantages of this particular lens.

Two aspects are obvious:

1) very little ghosting => excellent coating and/or very well caclulated lens surfaces are reducing flare to a really low amount => really good contrast
2) general correction of the lens is "not excellent" ("average") - probably comparable to other well known 2/35mm vintage lenses (difficult to judge for me since I never use vintage lenses wide open when shooting comparable images)

That said, I would use this lens in a different way:
1) stopping down to reduce the evident aberrations when shooting night time cityscapes
2) using it wide open either in b/w mode (=> "glow") or e. g. for low contrast sceneries such as portraits

I assume a modern construction which deliberately was adjusted for "character".

S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

could it be some samyang-ish or a modern better chinese-ish

Since it has F number between F2 to F2.5, it can’t be a pentacon 29 or meyer 30. From what I heard, this lens a modern better chinese-ish.

alex_d wrote:

it's an interessting quiz. you did it before me as i was planning something but still no time.

Good to hear you found it is interesting. My aim is to gather opinions rather than letting you guys know which lens is it.

stevemark wrote:
My first thought was that these snapshots are far too "wild" and chaotic to show the potential of any lens (unless it would be a "perfect" lens such as th Zeiss Otus 1.4/28mm). The images have an extreme contrast, they probably were shot with high ISO, there's movement, and the colors don't look nice (NOT a fault of the lens - I am simply talking about the crude artificial light). All this makes it dfficult for me to clearly see the advantages and disadvantages of this particular lens.

True. Not many lenses can do well in my extreme test. It is not a perfect lens by any means. I would say the color of this lens is relatively neutral.

Here is a photo with normal contrast scene. I don’t stop the lens down as I want to show its character. Stopping it down will improve the contrast and resolution but it will never reach the level of the more perfect lenses.

stevemark wrote:

That said, I would use this lens in a different way:
1) stopping down to reduce the evident aberrations when shooting night time cityscapes
2) using it wide open either in b/w mode (=> "glow") or e. g. for low contrast sceneries such as portraits

Both are viable ways to use this lens! I think stopping down one stop will be fine for shooting night time cityscapes unless with a tripod.

stevemark wrote:

I assume a modern construction which deliberately was adjusted for "character".

You are right. This lens is designed for "character". Stopping it will make its character less obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Iberit 35mm F2.4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Maybe the Iberit 35mm F2.4

Some of the characters of the Iberit 35mm F2.4 are quiet close to this lens. However, this lens has higher resolution than the Iberit, especially in the center.

Here is a photo converted to B&W. It look better?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting one, I am not sure..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure i understood that the spec charater is/was adjusted,
by the factory or after the purchase ?

i cant comment further as i dont have any of such lenses on my own, i quess im the weekest link ..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: I found it reacts pretty well t Reply with quote

I found it reacts pretty well to monochrome, it gets rid of all the distracting colour in those city scapes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I found it reacts pretty well t Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
An interesting one, I am not sure..

Wink

alex_d wrote:
im not sure i understood that the spec charater is/was adjusted,
by the factory or after the purchase ?

i cant comment further as i dont have any of such lenses on my own, i quess im the weekest link ..

No modification is made to the lens. I am sure this lens is a good copy.

I don't think it is your weakest link: you have made a good summary of the characters.

D1N0 wrote:
I found it reacts pretty well to monochrome, it gets rid of all the distracting colour in those city scapes

Well done! B&W rocks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes BW is a diff story, as i wondered previously

im gonna high-jack this post for a moment as i see now that there is some knowledge here,

what is that, that makes modern samyang and some of better Chinese lenses having (for me at least) a recognisable texture of images?

i would say it's a specific kind of glass or is way/material of coating glass? i dont see an other option as an optical formula is different for each of them.

any takes on this for a moment ?

and, silly me, didnt noticed or havent read good this "Aperture: F2.0 to F2.5 (inclusive) "

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The behaviour of the bokeh balls along the edges and in the corners of photo #8 seems unusual.

The oval shape of the bokeh balls sets in relatively close to the centre of the image, and they never go clearly cat-eye-shaped towards the edges/corners of the frame.

This seems to suggest that vignetting is not caused by intrusion of the edge of the rear element, which suggests a rather large rear element, yet not an image-telecentric design.

Also, to my eyes little distortion for a fast wide-angle.

More symmetrical non-retrofocus design with relatively large rear element maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that extreme coma along the right side in #3, or is it the actual shape of the lights? It appears your model in #6 didn't approve of your lens choice. Wink

Is the glass hazy, scratched, fungused, or damaged in any way?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin

You take excellent pics and have some excellent gear. This lens isnt one of them. A distinct lack of sharpness and contrast imho. I would guess a no name 28.

Thanks for the fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand the desire for unbiased opinions, I think it is time to unravel the mystery? I like the rendering in any case, if it is a bright lens at maximum aperture

My bet: Cooke SP3 32mm 2.4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Leica Fox wrote:

Certainly not - we have a very good contrast and almost completely missing ghosting/flares in spite of many strong light sources being directly within the images.
However you are right that the lens isn't particularly well corrected.

The combination of these two properties results in a somehow unusual characteristic of the lens.

S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that I can't disclose the name of the lens right now as I promised the owner not to do so. I do take few more photos with stopping down the aperture before returning this lens to the owner today. I will post it shortly after I finish my dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While these test shots are limited for my way of judging I must say it looks quite nice in its rendering.

It's funny that Ultrapix said Speed Panchro, I was thinking the same but it could be a similar cine lens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

what is that, that makes modern samyang and some of better Chinese lenses having (for me at least) a recognisable texture of images?

i would say it's a specific kind of glass or is way/material of coating glass? i dont see an other option as an optical formula is different for each of them.

any takes on this for a moment ?

I can't answer all but from my experience, the coating used by Chinese manufacture can be pretty good in my opinion. Some lower cost glass of high refractive index will have less transmission in violet/blue color compare to those higher cost glass.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
The behaviour of the bokeh balls along the edges and in the corners of photo #8 seems unusual.

The oval shape of the bokeh balls sets in relatively close to the centre of the image, and they never go clearly cat-eye-shaped towards the edges/corners of the frame.

This seems to suggest that vignetting is not caused by intrusion of the edge of the rear element, which suggests a rather large rear element, yet not an image-telecentric design.

Also, to my eyes little distortion for a fast wide-angle.

More symmetrical non-retrofocus design with relatively large rear element maybe?

You have well-trained eyes! I don't know the design of this lens as this information is not avalible to me but the rear element does look large for me.

Ultrapix wrote:
While I understand the desire for unbiased opinions, I think it is time to unravel the mystery? I like the rendering in any case, if it is a bright lens at maximum aperture

My bet: Cooke SP3 32mm 2.4

blotafton wrote:
While these test shots are limited for my way of judging I must say it looks quite nice in its rendering.

It's funny that Ultrapix said Speed Panchro, I was thinking the same but it could be a similar cine lens.

Yes. Cine lens is the right direction.

stevemark wrote:
Crazy Leica Fox wrote:

Certainly not - we have a very good contrast and almost completely missing ghosting/flares in spite of many strong light sources being directly within the images.
However you are right that the lens isn't particularly well corrected.

The combination of these two properties results in a somehow unusual characteristic of the lens.

S

Yes. I agree this lens is unusual. The first of its kind I have tried.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a prototype? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Is this a prototype? Smile

No. That one will come later.

=========================================

Here are two set of photo take at wide open and stopped down 1.5 stop. I use custom white balance to keep the result consistent.

1. wide open

1. stopped down 1.5 stop

2. wide open

3. stopped down 1.5 stop

Honestly, I don't see there is significant improvement in the corners. So, there is no need to stop it down further. Wink