Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 24mm f2.8 EF | First impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Canon 24mm f2.8 EF | First impressions Reply with quote

So recently I picked up this EOS 630 with a wideangle Canon 24mm f2.8

This is my first ever Canon EF lens and so far have mixed feelings about it. It feels really plasticky, and because I use it on a Sony A7III with a K&F adapter I can't change the aperture. So all of the following pictures are shot wide open at f2.8

I uploaded some video samples here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xT0fpx4PU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all, since all are wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you power on the EOS630 with the lens attached and stop the lens down to whatever aperture you want, then remove the lens from the camera, the lens will stay stopped down at that aperture. Then mount it on your Sony.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
If you power on the EOS630 with the lens attached and stop the lens down to whatever aperture you want, then remove the lens from the camera, the lens will stay stopped down at that aperture. Then mount it on your Sony.

Thanks, I will try that once I have a battery for that camera.

The wide open performance isn't bad, but the extreme corners are (as expected) not sharp. Especially in the that night picture you can see it on the right side.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

The wide open performance isn't bad, but the extreme corners are (as expected) not sharp. Especially in the that night picture you can see it on the right side.

as a user of Canon EF lenses I very much don't think that will work .. although I do not use cameras that old ..the canon uses full aperture metring and viewing and only stops down the moment the shutter button is pressed and opens instantly the photo is taken..i believe you can get an adopter for EF to sony that gives you full control over the lens including AF ..but pricy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Not bad at all, since all are wide open.

My thoughts too. It is one of the oldest EF lens designs and borrows a lot of the nFD optical design. I have it too and use it with a Sigma MC-11 without issues. Second hand smart MC-11 adapters are not expensive. With a floating element construction you have to be aware that the register distance with the adapter in between should be correct.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davev8app wrote:
Baekmann wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

as a user of Canon EF lenses I very much don't think that will work .. although I do not use cameras that old ..the canon uses full aperture metring and viewing and only stops down the moment the shutter button is pressed and opens instantly the photo is taken..i believe you can get an adopter for EF to sony that gives you full control over the lens including AF ..but pricy

It does work - I have an EOS630 + EF 50mm in front of me atm. Power on the camera, use aperture priority mode, set aperture on camera to f8 for example, hold in the depth of field preview button and remove the lens while the camera is switched on and the lens will stay stopped down at f8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann wrote:

This is my first ever Canon EF lens and so far have mixed feelings about it. It feels really plasticky, and because I use it on a Sony A7III with a K&F adapter I can't change the aperture. So all of the following pictures are shot wide open at f2.8

It feels plasticky because it probably is. Older metal lenses generally have a nicer, higher quality feel. Don't let that put you off though; many newer "plasticky" lenses of the main camera makes use high quality engineering plastics in the parts that are critical for optical performance, such as stiff and dimensionally stable glass-filled polycarbonate.

You observation re. aperture control of lenses used on non-native bodies is one of the reasons I stick with lenses that have a manual aperture control on the lens, and that still close down correspondingly whilst removed from their native camera bodies; it prevents a lot of hassle and guesswork.

When it comes to 70's/80's/90's legacy camera lenses you will find fierce proponents of particular brands, but in reality all of the main brands produced a wide range of excellent lenses over that period. Personally, unless you are after a very particular rendering of a particular lens, I would pick those lenses which are easy to use on a non-native digital body, which are mostly manual focus era lenses with convenient aperture control.

Old as many are, preset lenses are very convenient to use on digital cameras in live view as you can focus accurately with the aperture wide open, and then close down the aperture in an instant to the desired stop without having to count click-stops or take your eye away from the viewfinder.

DigiChromeEd wrote:
davev8app wrote:
Baekmann wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

It does work - I have an EOS630 + EF 50mm in front of me atm. Power on the camera, use aperture priority mode, set aperture on camera to f8 for example, hold in the depth of field preview button and remove the lens while the camera is switched on and the lens will stay stopped down at f8.

I appreciate you are trying to give the OP advise based on the equipment they already have, but that procedure sounds like a royal pain in the backside, especially if you are trying to make up your mind which aperture works best for DOF etc. Not to mention having to carry an extra body around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davev8app wrote:
Baekmann wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

I used to have one from K&F. It worked good, only EyeAF doesn’t work with the adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Baekmann wrote:

It feels plasticky because it probably is. Older metal lenses generally have a nicer, higher quality feel. Don't let that put you off though; many newer "plasticky" lenses of the main camera makes use high quality engineering plastics in the parts that are critical for optical performance, such as stiff and dimensionally stable glass-filled polycarbonate.

You observation re. aperture control of lenses used on non-native bodies is one of the reasons I stick with lenses that have a manual aperture control on the lens, and that still close down correspondingly whilst removed from their native camera bodies; it prevents a lot of hassle and guesswork.

When it comes to 70's/80's/90's legacy camera lenses you will find fierce proponents of particular brands, but in reality all of the main brands produced a wide range of excellent lenses over that period. Personally, unless you are after a very particular rendering of a particular lens, I would pick those lenses which are easy to use on a non-native digital body, which are mostly manual focus era lenses with convenient aperture control.

Old as many are, preset lenses are very convenient to use on digital cameras in live view as you can focus accurately with the aperture wide open, and then close down the aperture in an instant to the desired stop without having to count click-stops or take your eye away from the viewfinder.

DigiChromeEd wrote:
davev8app wrote:
Baekmann wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

I appreciate you are trying to give the OP advise based on the equipment they already have, but that procedure sounds like a royal pain in the backside, especially if you are trying to make up your mind which aperture works best for DOF etc. Not to mention having to carry an extra body around.

I agree Mark, I was just pointing out that it can be done if he wants to see how his lens performs at a given aperture.