Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 1:8 500mm 55BB Samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 1:8 500mm 55BB Samples Reply with quote

#1 The Lens

#5 Radio Towers are exactly 50km away

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, all these images look very dark and dull - is this your intention? The histogram confirms they are severely underexposed.

Using the full gamut might result in something like that:

Looks somehow undifferentiated of course since I had to blow up the contrast / colors that much - but if you'd do that with your own RAW data (instead of the dull JGP I had to use) you would get a much more vivid image methinks ...

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just such a good lens, mine goes everywhere with me - even if I don't use it a great deal. I've got four 500 / 8 mirrors. Canon FD, Minolta AF, LZOS and the Tamron. And the Tamron is my 'go to' lens.

I would say that in order of sharpness the Minolta is best and the other three fight it out. The Tamron wins because it's the most user friendly with lots of focus travel and the ultimate pixel peeping difference is negligable and easily sorted with a bit of processing. An easy to use lens wins every time for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two stops under exposed. The Sony thinking it is an F/2.0 lens won't help either

Caption
Make SONY
Model ILCE-7RM2
Orientation Normal
Software Shotwell 0.30.11
Exposure Time 0.017s (1/60)
Aperture Æ’/2.0
Exposure aperture priority (semi-auto)
ISO equivalent 320
Exposure Bias -2.00EV
Metering Mode Matrix
Flash Fired No (enforced)
Focal Length 58.0mm 58mm=35mm equivalent
User Comment binary comment
Color Space sRGB
White Balance Auto
Focal Length (35mm) 58
LensModel DT 40mm F2.8 SAM
Date 2023-09-23 13:49:28 (no TZ)
Lens DT 40mm F2.8 SAM
error XMP,XMPError while interpreting %S data. %S meta data shown might be not complete. Please report this problem with an example image. TypeError: parser.parseFromBuffer is not a function

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens that I like too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
two stops under exposed. The Sony thinking it is an F/2.0 lens won't help either

Yeah, I had been looking at the metadata as well, thus my question whether the underexposure was intentional or accidental.

S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the lens:

I have yet to see a side by side run with this one and the earlier 55-B. Not a lot on this subject even at Adapt-all 2 .com which says there *may* have been slight optical lay-out changes.

The elimination of the thread-in rear filter system, and the removal of the tripod collar must have made a reduction in weight...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some side by side shots 55B vs 55BB. If there is a difference I couldn't detect it. It's typically the case with these lenses that its too difficult to separate lens performance from tiny focussing errors/discrepancies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I've done some side by side shots 55B vs 55BB. If there is a difference I couldn't detect it. It's typically the case with these lenses that its too difficult to separate lens performance from tiny focussing errors/discrepancies.

Such errors occur, especially approaching the infinity mark on the 55-B. This is one of the very few instances where I'll go to live-view~ heavily magnified, of course.
I should attempt some shots again, before temps start dropping heavily here, which isn't all that far off.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

Such errors occur, especially approaching the infinity mark on the 55-B. This is one of the very few instances where I'll go to live-view~ heavily magnified, of course.
I should attempt some shots again, before temps start dropping heavily here, which isn't all that far off.

-D.S.

http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/55BB.html

Quote:
Tamron SP 500mm F/8 Mirror Model 55BB: This later version SP 500mm F/8, introduced in 1983, is an optically revised version of the original model 55B lens first introduced in 1979. The major optical design change is the switch to a constant thickness meniscus main mirror in order to reduce close focusing spherical aberration. The change in the main mirror design also necessitated changes for the two smallest lenses located within the middle of the optical design

I.e. results differences should be most evident in closeup bokeh.