Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2.0 V1 does flower on Fuji GFX100S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2.0 V1 does flower on Fuji GFX100S Reply with quote

This is the first version of Leica Summicron-R 50/2. I would recommand this lens for use with GFX as the lens can cover GFX with some Slightly vignetting/Smear at extreme corners. The original hood will give a bit more vignetting.

Here is a sample photo resized to 6.36MP with the original hood using the Velvia preset. Click to enlarge. It is best to download the photo and view it at 100%.

Last edited by calvin83 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome rendering, I have a copy of this lens as a gift of a friend who passed away, and for some reasons I don't like its handling, but I should use it more anyway.

(It's a Cron, by the way, maybe you want to edit the title)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Awesome rendering, I have a copy of this lens as a gift of a friend who passed away, and for some reasons I don't like its handling, but I should use it more anyway.

Yes. The focus ring is a bit hard to turn in the copy i tested. To improve the handling, I think we can add a silicone band or even focus gear to the focus ring. It is a good lens which deserve more use.

(Thanks! I made a mistake when copying the title.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images, like the rendering as well 👍

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if this has a larger image circle than V2?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2.0 V1 does flower on Fuji GFX1 Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
This is the first version of Leica Summicron-R 50/2. I would recommand this lens for use with GFX as the lens can cover GFX with some Slightly vignetting/Smear at extreme corners. The original hood will give a bit more vignetting.

Here is a sample photo resized to 6.36MP with the original hood using the Velvia preset. Click to enlarge. It is best to download the photo and view it at 100%.

Wonderful shots - these two in particular - love the look. Would be interesting to know if the old Summicron DR 50 mm f/2 does cover the GFX sensor as well. I've used it as a tilt/shift lens and know of someone who has done so a lot more, so maybe it does...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Very nice images, like the rendering as well 👍

Thanks!

cbass wrote:
Do you know if this has a larger image circle than V2?

V1 and V2 seems have more or less the similar coverage. V1 seems have less corner smearing than V2.

simple.joy wrote:

Wonderful shots - these two in particular - love the look. Would be interesting to know if the old Summicron DR 50 mm f/2 does cover the GFX sensor as well. I've used it as a tilt/shift lens and know of someone who has done so a lot more, so maybe it does...

Thank you! I expect the DR/Rigid has no more coverage than the Summicron-R. You can check the samples for the Rigid in here https://chan.nds.hk/blog/?p=10526 . I will cover Leica rangfinder lenses later when I finish testing most Leica R 50mm and below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

Thank you for your kind words about the rendering. It's meaningful that you have a copy of the lens as a gift from a dear friend who has passed away. While you may not particularly enjoy its handling, using it more often can be a way to honor your friend's memory and appreciate the sentiment behind the special gift. Sometimes, the emotional connection to an item can outweigh its practical aspects. Feel free to explore different ways of using the lens and find ways to appreciate its unique characteristics.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used v1 and v2.
Know that the v1 was designed to render better al distances >10 m and v2 for close focus.
Well, I can't see any difference in rendering between both.
Two great lenses. Perhaps not so magical than the M versions, but really good lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprises here, as these images are right in line with what I'd expect from this lens. Great center sharpness/loads of contrast/deep colors/great 3d-pop. The corners tend to be smeary even on 35mm, so not surprised it's pronounced on the GFX.

I have one of these that I use adapted to my Lumix S5, and it's great for nature, but these distinguishing features make it a mixed bag for portratiure. Excellent for craggy faces, as it really emphasizes the textures, but extremely unflattering if you are going for a beauty look. Certainly a lens that requires a "firm rein" to coax out its best, but when you hit the mark, it really delivers!

Anyway, excellent series, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

The R series Leitzes are basically all this way. They use very large, heavy focus helicals for their lens size with very fine threads, so there's a lot of drag caused by the lubricants. They are a lot closer in build to what you'd see in a classic cinema lens than in a typical SLR lens.

I've had some degree of success improving the feel by tearing them down and relubing with a lighter grease, but even then, they have a heavier feel than pretty much any other properly-lubed SLR lens of their era.

Last edited by BrianSVP on Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Leica R helicoids and how they feel. The long throw ones indeed can be slower to focus from near to far and you feel resistance when you try to move them quickly but they are very precise and accurate because of that. Some of the later zooms like the 35-70 F4 have a very short focus throw. I miss a lot more shots with it. Well I won’t say miss but often it just just a tad off and not at optimal sharpness for which I blame the short throw. Very minor adjustments make a difference and it’s horribly annoying.

The R lenses are heavy beasts, however, carrying 2-3 of them starts to become painful quickly especially if you have a lot of walking to do. I can carry 6 topcors instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I like the Leica R helicoids and how they feel. The long throw ones indeed can be slower to focus from near to far and you feel resistance when you try to move them quickly but they are very precise and accurate because of that. Some of the later zooms like the 35-70 F4 have a very short focus throw. I miss a lot more shots with it. Well I won’t say miss but often it just just a tad off and not at optimal sharpness for which I blame the short throw. Very minor adjustments make a difference and it’s horribly annoying.

The R lenses are heavy beasts, however, carrying 2-3 of them starts to become painful quickly especially if you have a lot of walking to do. I can carry 6 topcors instead.

I admit there is a certain visceral pleasure on some of the smaller lenses, where the focus action feels like a knob on a high end stereo. However, by the time you get to the Summicron-R 90 or larger, it gets really tedious to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

I admit there is a certain visceral pleasure on some of the smaller lenses, where the focus action feels like a knob on a high end stereo. However, by the time you get to the Summicron-R 90 or larger, it gets really tedious to use.

The Summicron-R 90 is a bit of a beast as the lens elements are heavy. I only have the pre-Asph version but this is one of the few lenses I can say is special especially when it comes to portraits. The results starting from f/4 are exceptional. Since this is a GFX thread originally mine also shows no real vignetting on GFX. It even has acceptable corner performance at f/8.

Mine is old so focus on that one is clunky either due to wear or old grease combined with heavy glass but still very good considering the age. Due to weight and other factors I don’t carry it unless I have a specific purpose in mind.