Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Canon FD 50 1,4 SSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Testing Canon FD 50 1,4 SSC Reply with quote

Same tulip as for the FD 100 2,8, the day after. More or less same bokeh if you consider the 100 2,8 and the 50 1,4 wide open.

Tulip, the day after | Tulipe, le lendemain by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Last edited by lumens pixel on Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, now you've got to try the 85mm ,it's a beautiful lens also.
Anyway, these FD lenses are pretty heavy (but we'll made) compared to Min, Nik etc, nFD

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Anyway, these FD lenses are pretty heavy (but we'll made) compared to Min, Nik etc, nFD

Quite expensive lens, even in f1,8 aperture. This is why I tend to choose 100mm focal length that is close and affordable even considering smaller aperture. Note that for portrait use I do not consider wider than f4 useful. Excessively narrow depth of field is not my thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindausa0106 wrote:
This effect makes the photo more beautiful and sharp. The use of this effect is a very good choice. snake io

Thank you for the kind words.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Quite expensive lens, even in f1,8 aperture. This is why I tend to choose 100mm focal length that is close and affordable even considering smaller aperture. Note that for portrait use I do not consider wider than f4 useful. Excessively narrow depth of field is not my thing.

Interesting statement , i'm so happy shooting wide open(most cases max f2) for individual portraits. In my case I've got a very good deal for the 85mm , but is true that this focal length is one of the most expensive lately

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Interesting statement , i'm so happy shooting wide open(most cases max f2) for individual portraits. In my case I've got a very good deal for the 85mm , but is true that this focal length is one of the most expensive lately

IMO the DOF difference between for instance a 85/1.8 and a 100/2.8 is often not worth the extra price. For example: I hardly ever have the need of more blown our bokeh than a Minolta 100/2.5 already gives me. I currently have only 1 really fast portrait lens and that is the Nikkor Af-D 85/1.4, but honestly I hardly use it @f/1.4: only for special effects. And the Tokina AT-x 90/2.5 macro may be slow in comparison with a 85/1.8, but it's bokeh for portraits is delicious. Same is the case for the very affordable Tamron 90/2.5, Tamron 90/2.8 or Minolta AF 100/2.8 macro.
Of course good 85mm deals are still possible, but the prices people pay for them blow my mind. If you want to go really cheap when it comes to portraits, you can even consider a Takumar 135/3.5, which still gives plenty of bokeh at this focal length.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Minolta 100mm 2.5, Tamron 90mm2.5, c/y 135 Zeiss 2.8 and for individual portraits, my choice still would be the 85mm 1.8 in question or the colorplan.
All the mentioned are very good lenses , I guess it's a matter of choice, when there's that option. Another nice one I guess is the 135 Vivitar close focusing one, these are smooth rendering for skin. Still don't have a 85 mm 1.4 and I remember some nice shots taken with planar by Attila +maybe his daughter portrait?, Excellent ). I guess , taking pictures to children it wouldn't be easy with such a lens (not impossible though). I am not sure if the difference between the 100mm 2.8 and 85mm 1.8 it would be only on the particularly close bokeh , maybe different rendering on the main subject and not only a shorter dof. By the way, the only Canon FD 100mm 2.8 I see around still cost more that the 85mm cost me, and if there would be a good opportunity to buy it cheap ,I would definitely go for it, as I like the heavy metal , mechanics, 8 blades iris , and image of these canon FD . If in good shape, they seem like they are made to last .
The advantage of the focal length and fast aperture, comes when there's not much light ,of course .

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've used Minolta 100mm 2.5, Tamron 90mm2.5, c/y 135 Zeiss 2.8 and for individual portraits, my choice still would be the 85mm 1.8 in question or the colorplan.
All the mentioned are very good lenses , I guess it's a matter of choice, when there's that option. Another nice one I guess is the 135 Vivitar close focusing one, these are smooth rendering for skin. Still don't have a 85 mm 1.4 and I remember some nice shots taken with planar by Attila +maybe his daughter portrait?, Excellent ). I guess , taking pictures to children it wouldn't be easy with such a lens (not impossible though). I am not sure if the difference between the 100mm 2.8 and 85mm 1.8 it would be only on the particularly close bokeh , maybe different rendering on the main subject and not only a shorter dof. By the way, the only Canon FD 100mm 2.8 I see around still cost more that the 85mm cost me, and if there would be a good opportunity to buy it cheap ,I would definitely go for it, as I like the heavy metal , mechanics, 8 blades iris , and image of these canon FD . If in good shape, they seem like they are made to last .
The advantage of the focal length and fast aperture, comes when there's not much light ,of course .

I've been working a bit with the Series "E" Nikon 100mm f2.8.
It is sharper than both variants of the 105 Nikkor that I have had previously.
That being said, there are differences in the rendering between them, with the slightly older variants having a bit less distracting "noisy" backgrounds.
I am not that much of a bokeh artist, but I do prefer it to be on the quietly muted side~ probably picked up from using quality normal 50's, which incidentally the Canon FD 1.8 is a master at, and that's without the extra lettering nomenclature. Wink
I do need to work more with the 100 "E". It still needs to be run through all it's paces, but I'm liking it a lot at present.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Of course good 85mm deals are still possible, but the prices people pay for them blow my mind.

Still possible, yes, but sublime harder to find than even just 18 months ago when I purchased a mint copy of that Canon FD 85mm 1.8 for "just" 240 bucks. Today it´s probably double that for the condition in which I got the lens. I´m going paranoid already. It looks like any wrong word on MFL about a particular lens, a particular body, next day prices are up by 30 percent. It´s a bit like Joe Biden coughing Laugh 1