Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Something better than Tokina ATX 4/100-300 ...?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Something better than Tokina ATX 4/100-300 ...? Reply with quote

Via PM, a member of the forum has asked me about finding "something better than the Tokina AT-X 4/100-300mm, mainly fo sports (probably a prime)". He specifically asked me whether the Nikkor AiS 4.5/300mm IF-ED would be an improvement, or whether I would recommend something else.

Most 300mm primes are designed to be handheld. That means their tele ratio has to be small (=short lens). In addition, CAs start to bite. The combination of "short lens" and "long focal length" makes CA correction especially bothersome. This means that vintage 300mm lenses often are a bit a "weak spot" in the lens lineup of a manufacturer.

Let's go back to the original question. While I'm not a sports photogapher at all, I have quite a lot of expeience with vintage MF 300mm lenses, including several fast ones (f2.Cool. To give you an idea about the practical experience behind this thread - in the "Canon department" alone, about a dozen lenses were tested and compared at f=300mm, among the them 5.6/300 Fluorite, the 2.8/300 Fluorite, the 2.8/300 L and the 4/300L, the 100-300L and the 50-300L. Altogether I probably have used >50 vintage lenses at f=300mm.

Best "value for money" in the 300mm range certainly is the Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm. Officially not an UD lens, it performs identically to the Sekor C 5.6/300mm ULD. At a pice of <100 CHF/USD/EUR, it outperforms most of the expensive Canon Fluorite and L lenses given above. Of course it's f5.6, and not f4 or f2.8. And it's not an IF lens - manual focusing is precise, but slow, and MFD is 4 m (same as eg the Nkkor-H 4.5/300).

The Nikkor AiS 4.5/300mm IF-ED is sligtly faster than the Mamiya Sekor C, and its internal focusing (IF) is much quicker than that of the Mamiya. However, the lubes usually have dried up, as with most Nikkors from that time. Focusing therefore is not really precise. While its is a prestigious "IF-ED" lens, its perfomance is much inferior to the Mamiya Sekor C, even when stopped down to f8 and the Mamyia kept at f5.6! MFD is better (3 m).

The Tokina SD 4/100-300mm certainly was designed for good center performance (people / reportage), and NOT for landscapes. Performance at f=300mm is pretty poor unless you look at the very center: That is good for sure (same applies for the Tokina AT-X 2.8/80-200, BTW). The mechanics feel rugged and well made, and focusing is well dampened - not too loose, not too stiff. MFD is best (2 m), but I haven't testet the actual performance at MFD.

Images will follow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL IMAGES BELOW ARE 100% CROPS FROM THE SONY A7RII RAWS, DEVEOLPED USING PHOTOSHOP.
NO CA CORRECTION OR VIGNETTING CORRECTION APPLIED.
SHARPENING 40, RADUIS 1 PX, DETAIL 40. COLOR SATURATION TO 20, VIBRANCE TO 30

While doing this comparison (totally about 20 lenses) the light has slightly changed. More important however: It was one of the rare days without air turbulance, and with a rather clear air (just after hours of rain). Having 2-3 hours without air turbulance is crucial for showing the real performance of a 300mm lens on 43 MP FF - this clearly was outweighing the slightly changing light.

First, as a baseline, the Tokina AT-X 4/100-300mm.

At f4 / 300mm, the center performance certainly is quite good. No fringing, good detail, but a bit soft. Not much to complain about here (remember this is a crop from 43 MP FF):

The Nikkor has a slightly better contrast, but the difference isnt that big:

Now the Mamiya - even better contrast and excellent resolution!

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting sports... forget a manual lens, get something with very good AF performance.

Pro sports shooters care more about how fast their lens focusses and how accurate that focussing is than they do about sharpness and other IQ matters.

That's why cameras intended for sports shooting had less MP but more focus points, although that has dchanged a bit in recent years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting in-put here.

Personally, (and it's likely just me) once I get above 200mm, the need for a tripod becomes increasingly apparent~ which speaks volumes about lack of technique.

I've been through 3, 300mm's now, and have sold them all off. It is a focal length that I don't seem to get along well with at all.
It would be the focal length that would move me into A/F, if that were ever to happen.

I've seen enough "frozen" I/F Nikkors to know enough to stay away from them.

There's a cheap Korean made 60-300 zoom here for me to give an honest work-out. Hopefully I'm going to learn something...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the corners. Tokina first, again, here at 300mm / f8 (at f4, it's pretty similar; just a bit less detail ...):

That's really quite bad, on par with the cheapest 3rd party 300mm f4 primes such as the Hanimex 4/300mm. Other like Ken Rockwell report the same, so I'm pretty sure this isn't an outlier. The Tokina AT-X 2.8/80-200mm at f=200mm has the same general image characteristics, BTW.

The Nikkor 4.5/300mm IF-ED is not among the best 300mm lenses, but certainly much better than the Tokina zoom. Much more details, much less CAs, and pretty good contrast. Be aware that stopping donw to f8 doesn't increas its performance: CAs get worse, and resolotion / contrast decrease slightly. Caused by inappropriate position of the aperture!

Now the Mamyia Sekor C 5.6/300mm, wide open (f5.6):

This is pretty remarkable indeed. Virtually no CAs, excellent resolution and very good contast. What else do we need ...?

A few clicks on photoshop result in the following (CAs removed, levels adjusted, slight de-saturation):

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the same run I have tested the following as well.
If anyone is interested in the results of a specific lens, just PM me.

Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/300mm (about 1955, version for 24x36)
Hanimex 4/300mm
Konica Hexanon AR 4.5/300mm
Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm
Mamiya Sekor CS 4/300mm
Minolta SR 4.5/300mm
Minolta MC-X 4.5/300mm
Minolta MD-II 4.5/300mm IF
Mirage (Elicar) 4.5/300mm
Nikkor-H 4.5/300mm (2nd computation, same optics as later Ai/AiS 4.5/300)
Nikkor Ai 4.5/300mm ED
Nikkor Ai 4.5/300mm ED-IF
Olympus Zuiko OM 4.5/300mm
Pentax M* 4/300mm ED
Pentax F 4.5/300mm IF-ED

Zooms:
Canon nFD 5.6/100-300mm (2nd version)
Canon nFD 5.6/100-300mm L
Tamron SP 3.8-5-5/60-300mm
Tokina AT-X 4/100-300mm

Many others are available for testing, including rare stuff such as the Tair-33.

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair-33 isn't rare, well, it isn't in the UK at least, where we had a distributor of Soviet photo gear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Tair-33 isn't rare, well, it isn't in the UK at least, where we had a distributor of Soviet photo gear.

Tair-3 or Tair-33? Tair 33 has another optical construction ...
Back when I got my copy there was vrtually no info available on the 33 (but much on Tair-3). Situation seems to have changed, though.
Thanks for clarifying.

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no shortage of either, the 33 is usually seen in P6 mount though, rather than M42 like the 3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephan, just curious what lenses you consider the top 3 of your list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Something better than Tokina ATX 4/100-300 ...? Reply with quote

Interesting test!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Hi Stephan, just curious what lenses you consider the top 3 of your list.

"Landscape mode" / 43 MP FF:

1) Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm and Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm N ULD at f5.6 (identical performance on 43 Mp FF): No CAs, perfect resolution over the entire 24x36mm field at f5.6 and f8

2) Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite (at f4.5): lower resolution in the outer field; some CAs. Central resolution (about 18 mm image circle) as excellent as Mamiya. (At f8 ) Excellent resolution all over, except extreme corners, but Mamiya corners wide open are better than Canon corners at f8!

3) Pentax F 4.5/300mm IF-ED (at f8 ): less CAs than Canon. Central resolution slightly worse than Canon and Mamiya; corners slightly better than Canon and clearly worse than Mamyia

4) Nikkor Ai 4.5/300mm ED "non-IF" (at f8 ): Less contrast than the Pentax, but otherwise quite similar.

At f8, both the Nikkor as well as the Pentax F have no CAs at all. Since the Canon at f8 and the Mamiya at f5.6 have a slightly better resolution over the entire field, I consider them superior.

Those clearly are the four top lenses for high-res landscape stuff.
Of course other lenses such as the Canon nFD and EF 2.8/300mm L (same optics) or the Minolta / Sony 2.8/300mm APO G SSM would be comparable to the Mamiya (I have been using both in the past). And the Mamiya Sekor A 2.8/300mm APO has a stellar reputtaion, too ...

The Nikkor AiS 4.5/300 IF-ED (at f8 ) is also quite useable if lateral CAs are removed.
Color fringing and LoCAs remain a problem, though.

All other lenses in my 20 item list have issues with Lateral CAs, LoCAs, color fringing, missing corner and / or central resolution, or lower contrast.

Last edited by stevemark on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread tells a different story for some aspects:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/100-300mm.htm

My copy is also rather good (but haze is building up) and I wonder Stevemark if you may have a bad example... 🤔

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
This thread tells a different story for some aspects:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/100-300mm.htm

No. Even though Anthony uses 6 MP (!!) FF scans from Slides or negatives, he comes to the same conclusion as me: the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm is optimized for central resolution (and so is the AT-X 2.8/80-200mm).

The crops he shows are 100% crops from the above 2000x3000px scans. Here - for instance - is his corner crop from the AT-X 4/100-300mm at f=300mm and aperture 1:4:

Note the completely missing resolution even at 6MP:

If we reduce my 43 MP corner sample to 37.7% (corresponding to 3000x2000 px on FF or 6MP), it looks like that:

I'd say that looks a lot better than what Anthony has found many moons ago. This has nothing to do with Anthonys lens (which probably performs as good as mine), but with his test setup:

1) Film (lack resolution; grainy)
2) Adjustment of his camera viewfinder (never completely precise - while on the A7RII I can use the actual sensor for focusing)
3) Flim never is really flat
4) Film must be scanned (scanner optics, film again never is really flat)

A lot can go wrong there ...

Phalbert wrote:
My copy is also rather good (but haze is building up) and I wonder Stevemark if you may have a bad example... 🤔

Post some 100% crops from the corners of a FF camera!

S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

Post some 100% crops from the corners of a FF camera!

Fact is you're perfectly right. Somehow I completely forgot that I'm using a dslr with a crop factor, so no FF corners there, and to make my comments worse I don't bother about the corners anyway unless the flaws are to obvious. (I like the large format vintage look a lot). So thank you for your in-depth comparisons and valuable inputs.
BTW, it is interesting that a little known lens like the mamiya boosts such a good performance. Never heard of it before reading your posts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost nobody bothers about the corners, you can call people who do 'rare' and 'strange' imho.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Somehow I completely forgot that I'm using a dslr with a crop factor,

OK - that explains it. In fact both the AT-X 2.9/80-200 as well as the AT-X 4/100-300 have a very good center preformance - they sacrifice the rest of the (FF) image field for a lower production price of the lens. For many applications this is OK - however for landscapes it's a no-go, since not even stopping down to f8 results in acceptable FF borders & corners.

Phalbert wrote:

BTW, it is interesting that a little known lens like the mamiya boosts such a good performance. Never heard of it before reading your posts.

Yeah, that was surprising to me as well. Although I somehow knew it even before the arrival of high res DSLRs: I had been shooting with a Mamiya 645, back in the early 1990s, using the high res Kodak Technical Pan film. Sure, it was b/w only, but the resulting detail was absolutely stunning.

S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon FD or nfd 300 5,6 might be of interest. And they are quite common.