Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some 1980's legacy lenses prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Some 1980's legacy lenses prices Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

When I was hunting used vintage lenses, I always wanted to know their original prices as it was an indication of their quality and production cost then.
I have collected many old photographic magazines from early 1960's to the end of 1990's, and I think it would be interesting to post those lens listings as a reference for lens collectors.

Here are some pages from a copy of June 1981, 'Popular Photography'.

If you want to know the price of a particular lens, Please let me know, and I will see if I can find it on those magazines. Laugh 1

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20174/big_392_P4048051_1.jpg]

[/url]

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20174/big_392_P4048050_1.jpg]

[/url]

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20174/big_392_P4048052_1.jpg]

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have one of those Tokina 35-105 F3.5-4.3's -- $239.39! What a ripoff!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actively buying cameras, lenses, and accessories from the NY deep discounters during the 1980s, specifically from 1983 until about 1989. Those were close to the "golden years," IMO, where many of the decade's best products were available. Many of the best products ever, in fact. I had several favorite dealers. Executive, Smile, Adorama, B&H, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment. But not Focus. I got ripped off by them. Never trust anyone who calls himself "Honest Abe."

So because of my own experiences, I'd be interested in seeing ads from any of the above from about 1986 or so. Especially images of ads that include the major aftermarket makers as well as the big camera makers.

I wish I would have kept all the magazines I had back then -- especially Modern Photography.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, the Yashica and Canon 50mm f1.2's at 170ish are absolute bargains for the time in comparison to the zoom prices, my how things have changed....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've just realised that my Canon 50-135mm f3.5 is worth more than the 50mm f1.2, would anyone like a straight swap!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Wow, I have one of those Tokina 35-105 F3.5-4.3's -- $239.39! What a ripoff!

One hundred US dollar in 1980 would equal to about 300.00 USD today. I bought a Nikon 35-135/3.5-4.5 for RMB 250 (38 USD?)a few month ago. Look at those Nikon zoom prices then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I was actively buying cameras, lenses, and accessories from the NY deep discounters during the 1980s, specifically from 1983 until about 1989. Those were close to the "golden years," IMO, where many of the decade's best products were available. Many of the best products ever, in fact. I had several favorite dealers. Executive, Smile, Adorama, B&H, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment. But not Focus. I got ripped off by them. Never trust anyone who calls himself "Honest Abe."

So because of my own experiences, I'd be interested in seeing ads from any of the above from about 1986 or so. Especially images of ads that include the major aftermarket makers as well as the big camera makers.

I wish I would have kept all the magazines I had back then -- especially Modern Photography.

I was very interested in the Camera Collectors column of Modern Photography some 20 years ago when I found those magazines in a local labrary. I have a few copies of MP from 1986-1988, and a very early copy from 1966! I will take some images later. I bought these old magazines in Europe when I was there on business.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Actually, I've just realised that my Canon 50-135mm f3.5 is worth more than the 50mm f1.2, would anyone like a straight swap!

My Pentax 45-125mm F4 was an expensive one at 244.95 USD. I paid about 30 USD for mine. Laugh 1 The zoom range of the lens is kind of special like your Canon one's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these trips down memory lane. Those prices are all the more remarkable when inflation is factored in. The US dollar was worth SO much more years ago.

"Back in the day", when I was young, my dad and I enjoyed photography together as sort of a "father and son" thing. We took, developed, and printed our own photos. My dad built an enlarger from scratch, and it worked really well. I even did color developing and printing, which fascinated me back then. I lost interest in the very early 1960's, but my dad continued on with photography.

One of my special memories, here on this forum, was several years ago when calvin83, a prominent and very knowledgable poster here, was kind enough to take his time to explain to me what an automatic lens was. I did not know because back when I was doing photography as a young person, all lenses were preset lenses . . . at least certainly all lenses we owned were preset lenses. And to this day I still have a distinct preference for preset lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
Mr G wrote:

My Pentax 45-125mm F4 was an expensive one at 244.95 USD. I paid about 30 USD for mine. Laugh 1 The zoom range of the lens is kind of special like your Canon one's.

I love the unusual range of the Canon, 4 of the most used focal ranges, 50, 80, 100.& 135, it's actually not bad at all so I had it permanently converted to EF, quite rare as well, maybe the only converted one in the world!.... At least I like to think so... 😂

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
kievuser wrote:
Mr G wrote:

I love the unusual range of the Canon, 4 of the most used focal ranges, 50, 80, 100.& 135, it's actually not bad at all so I had it permanently converted to EF, quite rare as well, maybe the only converted one in the world!.... At least I like to think so... 😂

Quite a few Nikon and Canon zooms are in the 400-500 dollars range that are more expensive than a Canon F1 or Nikon F3 camera. I had no idea they were so expensive then.Or perhaps, they are not the same thing we saw today?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I love these trips down memory lane. Those prices are all the more remarkable when inflation is factored in. The US dollar was worth SO much more years ago.

"Back in the day", when I was young, my dad and I enjoyed photography together as sort of a "father and son" thing. We took, developed, and printed our own photos. My dad built an enlarger from scratch, and it worked really well. I even did color developing and printing, which fascinated me back then. I lost interest in the very early 1960's, but my dad continued on with photography.

One of my special memories, here on this forum, was several years ago when calvin83, a prominent and very knowledgable poster here, was kind enough to take his time to explain to me what an automatic lens was. I did not know because back when I was doing photography as a young person, all lenses were preset lenses . . . at least certainly all lenses we owned were preset lenses. And to this day I still have a distinct preference for preset lenses. Smile

I was in the U.S in the early 80's. Yes, I remember clearly that food and fuel were very cheap. If I cooked at home, perhaps, I only need 50 dollars a month for food.
I still missed a few American friends who I have lost contact. A guy took us to a camera shop, but I was not interested in photo gears until some 10 years later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:

I was very interested in the Camera Collectors column of Modern Photography some 20 years ago when I found those magazines in a local labrary. I have a few copies of MP from 1986-1988, and a very early copy from 1966! I will take some images later. I bought these old magazines in Europe when I was there on business.

Yes, those collector's columns were written by Jason Schneider, who after the merger, became one of Popular's senior editors, and who is now an editor at Shutterbug magazine. His columns were a big influence on my photographic destiny. It was because of his column on a
Canon FTb that I bought one and became familiar with manual photography (prior I'd been shooting only Canon A-series) and it was his article on the Canon New F-1's lack of mirror lock up and mention of the old F-1 having it that led to my purchase of my first F-1 (an old one, of course), which began a love affair that lasts until this day. So, yeah, I'm familiar with the guy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Blimey, the Yashica and Canon 50mm f1.2's at 170ish are absolute bargains for the time in comparison to the zoom prices, my how things have changed....

Yeah, I mean if you account for inflation you're at around $500, but the "super fast" primes do go for a ridiculous amount of money on ebay these days. I've certainly seen them go for above $500.

Makes you wish you had a time travel machine, eh? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Here are a few pages from a copy of May 1986 'Modern Photography'.It is interesting to note that prices for some used Leica rangefinder cameras are quite good compared to Japanese SLRs.I will see if I can find a page for those third party lenses. Tokina, Soligar, Komura, Vivitar, Kiron,etc. New York must have been full of camera stores then. Almost half of the magazine was listings of equipment,a paradise for equipment lovers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York was loaded with camera stores, and audio stores, and appliance, computer and all sorts of other gadget stores. That was in the 50s-90s.
The bottom dropped out of all these retail businesses in the 90s, killed by chains I think. The biggest one I think was 47th Street Photo, that closed in the late 90s.

The last old camera store in San Francisco, Adolph Gasser, closed just last week. It once also sold branded products in the magazines.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
New York was loaded with camera stores, and audio stores, and appliance, computer and all sorts of other gadget stores. That was in the 50s-90s.
The bottom dropped out of all these retail businesses in the 90s, killed by chains I think. The biggest one I think was 47th Street Photo, that closed in the late 90s.

The last old camera store in San Francisco, Adolph Gasser, closed just last week. It once also sold branded products in the magazines.

In Beijing, there are two major equipment 'cities' for new and used photo equipment, and for service of equipment. Each contains dozens, or a coupe of hundreds stores. These two places are where I sometimes visit.But I heard that one of them will be relocated to outside of the down-town area. The land in down-town Beijing area are very expensive now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found images of Nikon 35-70/3.5 zoom lenses. It has two versions. It was imported into China, and used perhaps only by professionals then. I heard that it was very expensive for almost RMB 5,000 yuan. But I don't remember ever seeing them in stores.

And an image of a Canon FL 55-135 zoom lens. It was for sale for about 100 dollars USD. The image it takes appears very sharp.

The last one is my Pentax SMC zoom lens with an uncommon focul length 45-125mm F4.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I'd always assumed it was the Internet more than chains that killed off many of the NY deep discounters, mostly eBay. But not all of them. B&H and Adorama -- two of the biggest back then -- are still going strong. And so is 47th St Photo. They're a presence on eBay. Check 'em out at the eBay ID 47st.photo. I bought an Opteka "digital" slide duplicator from them some years ago. I recall Tri-State from years ago -- they're on eBay.

I think those stores that made a successful transition to the Internet have done well. Those that didn't, haven't. Example: Bill Cameta. I remember back in the 80s when he just ran long ads in Shutterbug magazine's classifieds, and when you called his number, Bill answered the phone. (I chatted with him a couple of times back then). Now he's one of the major players on eBay (with over 650,000 feedbacks) when it comes to camera outfits and other items, like ubiquitous 500/8 mirror lenses, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those New York stores in the 70's, they had guys outside on the sidewalk that would drag you into the shop, where you'd be held hostage until you bought something - anything - it didn't matter if you actually wanted it or not, there was no choice. Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now those early standard Nikon zoom lenses are on my hunting list. These usually sell at a much lower price today than their Canon FD counterparts. Today I caught two of them, a Nikon 35-70/3.5 with a 72mm filter ring for less than $100.00 and a 43-86/3.5 for about $35. Now I will hunt the elusive 25-50/3.5. A friend of mine caught one not long ago.A Canon FD 35-70/2.8-3.5 could sell for 4-5 hundred $$$, but it was cheaper in the 80's. Those early zoom lenses also have a historic value IMO.

A Japanese ebay seller provided more interesting information for this 35-70/3.5 zoom lens. Thanks.

Detailed item info
Product Information
Nikon NIKKOR 35-70 mm F/3.5 Ai Lens offers a professional mid-range zoom for pleasing shots. It has a constant f/3.5 aperture at all focal lengths for maximum light entry, and the diaphragm has seven traditional straight blades. Zooming is achieved by moving the elements inside the lens barrel. This NIKKOR equipment offers capable performance for both normal and infrared shooting. In fact, Nikon NIKKOR 35-70 mm F/3.5 Ai version is compatible with many different Nikon cameras. The lens construction supports 10 elements in 9 groups with a minimum distance focus of only 1 meter with no macro modes. A compact dimension of 2.9 by 3.6 inches and a weight of only 19 ounces make it extremely portable. In addition, the Nikon MF quality construction ensures safety. Similarly, designers have incorporated several traditional features, making it easier for both amateurs and professionals to quickly get used to working this lens. A traditional spherical design on the zoom lens, multi-coated optics, and front-group focusing are all offered. For sharp results, this zoom lens aims to perform even in the most challenging environments. It provides good results for center and corners. You may need to slightly adjust the 35 mm, 50 mm, and 70 mm focal length when shooting; sharp results can be achieved almost immediately under normal circumstances. Just like other traditional Zoom-NIKKOR brands, you can easily zoom in and out of the subject by moving elements inside the barrel. When zooming, the inside ring will start to move, forcing the glass up or down. The mechanism increases the safety of the equipment because a glass protecting the optics shields any direct hit. The focus can be achieved using a fingertip to zoom from 3 feet to infinity. The barrel is designed to incorporate all the zooming functions. While the exterior of the lens remains stationary, the front and rear groups operate inside the barrel. The great design of this zoom lens is enhanced by its compatibility with numerous hardware and software. On D-series products, such as D2, D3, D200, and D300, it provides a full matrix reading and the EFIX data. It will automatically adjust to either the aperture preferred or manual mode on the camera. The lens will also work with F-series products, including F and F6. It should also fulfill requirements of many modern manual focus brands. Regarding software compatibility, owners can use Photoshop software to correct and filter any distortion in this type of zoom lens. Professional photographers can also use it as a handheld, and the two-zoom ring function will specifically come in handy using the tripod. The Nikon Zoom-NIKKOR 35-70 mm f/3.5 version is a professional-grade Nikon hardware that was introduced in 1977 and replaced by Ai-s four years later. Nikon only produced 50,000 of these professional mid-range lenses, which also means that you are likely getting your hands on a rare masterpiece. The exceptional quality of engineering used in these lenses is also practical for infrared shooting as they have a huge focus shift at 35 mm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Tamron fan, so I find the Tamron prices interesting. A few years back, you could buy the SP 60-300 on eBay for a cheap as $20. Nowadays, you find it for quite a bit more, but you can also still find it in the $35-40 range. According to the above ads, that lens sold for $200. The ad shows a few other Tamrons with interesting prices, as well. Like the SP 300/2.8 LDIF sold for $1250, the SP 80-200/2.8 LD sold for $500, and the SP 200-500/5.6 sold for $900. And the SP 28-135, a lens I recently bought off eBay for $30 including a Nikon mount and with free shipping, sold back then for $300.

You know what, these were cheap prices for the most part. With respect to those premium Tamrons I listed above sometimes you see people advertising them on eBay for these amounts. Too much, and I doubt they're selling at those prices, but people are asking that much. Looking at the Canon F-1N and Nikon F3, and they were both selling for $400-something. You still see folks asking that much for minty examples in the box.

I don't recall exactly when it was that Reagan devalued the dollar against the yen, but I don't think it had happened yet. These are pre-devaluation prices. Because I remember paying over $300 for my Tamron SP 60-300. Once the dollar was devalued, everything changed, and suddenly all the gear made in Japan was quite expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
I found images of Nikon 35-70/3.5 zoom lenses. It has two versions. It was imported into China, and used perhaps
only by professionals then. I heard that it was very expensive for almost RMB 5,000 yuan. But I don't remember ever seeing them in stores.

Both versions of the Ai/AiS 3.5/35-70mm Nikkor (72mm and 62mm filter) are based on the ground-breaking FD 2.8-3.5/35-70mm,
and so are the AiS 25-50mm, the Konica AR 3.5/35-70mm and the Zeiss CY 3.4/35-70mm. They all are two group zooms,
and their optical design is very similar. They all are nearly as sharp as contemporary primes. But only the AiS Nikkor 3.5/35-70mm [62mm]
is practically distortion free over it entire zoom range (always <1%!).
Compare this to the Zeiss CY 3.4/35-70mm which goes from -2.5% to +1% ...

The AiS Nikkor 3.5/35-70mm [62mm] looks not spectacular at all, but it is a very professional lens. Much, much better
than the later AF 2.8/35-70mm, in fact!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'm a big Tamron fan, so I find the Tamron prices interesting. A few years back, you could buy the SP 60-300 on eBay for a cheap as $20. Nowadays, you find it for quite a bit more, but you can also still find it in the $35-40 range. According to the above ads, that lens sold for $200. The ad shows a few other Tamrons with interesting prices, as well. Like the SP 300/2.8 LDIF sold for $1250, the SP 80-200/2.8 LD sold for $500, and the SP 200-500/5.6 sold for $900. And the SP 28-135, a lens I recently bought off eBay for $30 including a Nikon mount and with free shipping, sold back then for $300.

You know what, these were cheap prices for the most part. With respect to those premium Tamrons I listed above sometimes you see people advertising them on eBay for these amounts. Too much, and I doubt they're selling at those prices, but people are asking that much. Looking at the Canon F-1N and Nikon F3, and they were both selling for $400-something. You still see folks asking that much for minty examples in the box.

I don't recall exactly when it was that Reagan devalued the dollar against the yen, but I don't think it had happened yet. These are pre-devaluation prices. Because I remember paying over $300 for my Tamron SP 60-300. Once the dollar was devalued, everything changed, and suddenly all the gear made in Japan was quite expensive.

I always hear good comments about Tamron lenses. Their SP series could rival Nikon lenses but at a lower price. Unfortunately, I never owned a Tamron lens.

'Plaza Accord' was signed in September, 1985 In New York. But those lenses made in 1970's were already expensive. It seems Japanese manufacturers put a lot of quality and effort into those early products. Like 1 What would cost us if an all mechanic Olympus OM-1n made today in Japan?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kievuser wrote:
I found images of Nikon 35-70/3.5 zoom lenses. It has two versions. It was imported into China, and used perhaps
only by professionals then. I heard that it was very expensive for almost RMB 5,000 yuan. But I don't remember ever seeing them in stores.

Both versions of the Ai/AiS 3.5/35-70mm Nikkor (72mm and 62mm filter) are based on the ground-breaking FD 2.8-3.5/35-70mm,
and so are the AiS 25-50mm, the Konica AR 3.5/35-70mm and the Zeiss CY 3.4/35-70mm. They all are two group zooms,
and their optical design is very similar. They all are nearly as sharp as contemporary primes. But only the AiS Nikkor 3.5/35-70mm [62mm]
is practically distortion free over it entire zoom range (always <1%!).
Compare this to the Zeiss CY 3.4/35-70mm which goes from -2.5% to +1% ...

The AiS Nikkor 3.5/35-70mm [62mm] looks not spectacular at all, but it is a very professional lens. Much, much better
than the later AF 2.8/35-70mm, in fact!!

Many thanks for your information. Now I decided to add the AiS 35-70/3.5 to my wishlist.Smile Those distortion free performance are usually found only on some industrial lenses such as those Ultra Micro Nikkors.