Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya CWP with 58mm f1.7 (M42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Mamiya CWP with 58mm f1.7 (M42) Reply with quote

Last edited by Smoli4 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this lens performing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Really sharp and bright, i like the colors of this lens alot.
about flare and low contrast, havent noticed that much. with a lens hood its not of an issue at all in my opinion.

some samples.

#3 - no PP RAW

#4 - no PP RAW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very fine lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. Yours is the M42 mount; mins is the Exakta mount. From the infinity mark, I looks like from different manufacturers. The M42 version is said to be radioactive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Looks like a very fine lens.

Thank you Smile
The images are just from a walk we did this Saturday, I wanted to take the lens out, let it see some new light and the sea once more:)

vivaldibow wrote:
Looks nice. Yours is the M42 mount; mins is the Exakta mount. From the infinity mark, I looks like from different manufacturers. The M42 version is said to be radioactive.

could be the same manufacturer. look at the Font of the "made in japan" writing, also colors of the A/M writing

could be just a different version.

Last edited by Smoli4 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least mechanically, your Mamiya 1.7/58mm is completely different from mine:

0) M42 vs Exakta bayonet
1) larger focusing grip than mine
2) focusing scales orange (feet) / white (Meter) instead of orange (feet) and green (m)
3) my lens (obviously the older one) has the typical Mamiya letters (look at the "f" in feet or the "m" for meter), yours has not ordinary letters
4) the aperture scale on your lens is linear (equal distances between the aperture stops); my lens has largely varying distances betweem the different aperture stops (indicating an older design)
5) your lens goes from f1.7 ... f16, mine from f1.7 ... f22
6) diaphragm on my lens is "semi-automatic" (you have to cock it manually after each image taken); yours probably is automatic (?)

I wonder whether both these lenses were made at Mamiya, or just one of these ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
At least mechanically, your Mamiya 1.7/58mm is completely different from mine:

0) M42 vs Exakta bayonet
1) larger focusing grip than mine
2) focusing scales orange (feet) / white (Meter) instead of orange (feet) and green (m)
3) my lens (obviously the older one) has the typical Mamiya letters (look at the "f" in feet or the "m" for meter), yours has not ordinary letters
4) the aperture scale on your lens is linear (equal distances between the aperture stops); my lens has largely varying distances betweem the different aperture stops (indicating an older design)
5) your lens goes from f1.7 ... f16, mine from f1.7 ... f22
6) diaphragm on my lens is "semi-automatic" (you have to cock it manually after each image taken); yours probably is automatic (?)

I wonder whether both these lenses were made at Mamiya, or just one of these ...

0) different mount check
1)larger focusing grip but same style knurls and rectangles
2) same orange thou
3) typical Mamiya letters only on the filter ring writing in this lens.
4+5) those mechanics are different, and aperture has many blades maybe 12 or 18?
5+6) its automatic with a pin. or manual at the switch.
the last resemblance I found is the angled lines on the focusing scale and infrared mark part and the paint job is glossy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your clarifications!

Since there are only two or three examples of the "Mamiya" SLR described in the internet, my camera (including its lens) might well be a pre-production model. The entire aperture mechanism of my lens seems a bit outdated for a 1960 camera. Minolta, for example, was switching to a "fully automatic" aperture system shortly after introducing the SR-2 (1958). Probably Mamiya was well aware of the need to have a fully automatic aperture for their first production SLRs.

S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rendering I like it. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:

vivaldibow wrote:

could be the same manufacturer. look at the Font of the "made in japan" writing, also colors of the A/M writing
could be just a different version.

vivaldibow just mentioned in another thread, that his Exakta bayonet version is not radioactive. If the M42 in fact is radioactive, it would mean that the two Mamiya 1.7/58mm lenses (the Mamiya-Sekor F.C. 1:1.7 f=58mm [Exakta bayonet] and the Mamyia-Sekor 1:1.7 f=58mm [M42]) are completely different designs.

S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I've got two of the Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4s, and several Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8s, and I like my Mamiya-Sekor 58 1.7 better than any of them. It's very sharp with excellent colors and unusual (but to my eye pleasing) bokeh, and it's got 10 aperture blades.

The M42 version is indeed radioactive, but the radioactive element or elements are in the front.

No idea who manufactured this lens, but I'd like to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I've got two of the Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4s, and several Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8s, and I like my Mamiya-Sekor 58 1.7 better than any of them. It's very sharp with excellent colors and unusual (but to my eye pleasing) bokeh, and it's got 10 aperture blades.

The M42 version is indeed radioactive, but the radioactive element or elements are in the front.

No idea who manufactured this lens, but I'd like to know.

aperture blade are cute though at the mount side
and thank you, yes I think it is a win lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah

Last edited by Smoli4 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

There is also might be a case in which none of them were.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:
I really yearn to test this one... I will need to adapt it to eos myself... hope all will go well... (**or buy an R5)

Much better (easier) to buy a FF mirrorless. Maybe even a used one; the A7II with its built-in image stabilization and 24MP is quite well suited for vintage lenses.

S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way off topic. I that green object in image #2 a U-Boat?!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Way off topic. I that green object in image #2 a U-Boat?!

Yup Laugh 1

there are few vessels there, cant see in this image, but its a museum of ships and stuff like that. a cool place to do a shoot, gotta do that sometime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
stevemark wrote:

There is also might be a case in which none of them were.

There's nothing about my M42 version that screams Tomioka to me (although the thought had occurred), but that's just a subjective impression based on cosmetics and mechanical qualities. I haven't been able to unearth much information about the lens at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread...and I hope the following makes if MORE interesting.

I've literally just received a Japanese-market-only Pentamatic II with a Yashinon 5.8cm f1.7 lens. This camera/lens combo was only released in Japan for some reason...seems Yashica was flailing about at the time at the beginning of their SLR journey...eventually retreating a bit to lower market/lower specification M42 models...and the Pentamatics were caught in the carnage.

My new to me lens has light fungus, tight focus, and a weird automatic aperture that doesn't work...see the pics below...you can see it has 9 iris blades too, based on the number of pivot pins visible.

THIS 1.7 lens is different than the usual Pentamatic 5.5cm/1.8 lens, that also had a brief run as an M42 model to use up the remaining optical blocks before Yashica went to the Tomioka-sourced 5cm f2 that we (most of us...) know and love.

The current theory is that the weird 5.8cm/1.7 lens....was sourced from Zunow! It's internally different than the 5.5cm and later Tomioka designs.

See the following link that seem to support this:
http://yashicatlr.com/Pentamatic.html#zunow

This page is SUPER-well researched...read down to see the continuation of the lens on the first Exakta-mount Mamiya Prismat (and Sears Tower 32a)....perhaps Zunow, now reorganized as Ace Optical and out of the 35mm lens biz, sold the design/tooling to Mamiya or other lens constructor who updated the cosmetics and mount to M42 for these later versions?

I've seen the Zunow hypothesis in a few other places (Japanese-language sites translated with Google translate) about the 58/1.7 being, at the very least, a Zunow design, if not made by/subcontracted to, Zunow.

Here are two quick pics....literally just started working on this lens today ( 15 March 2023):

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that information before, but I have to say I'm skeptical about the reasoning they used to establish any connection to Zunow.

Left out in the analysis is that the styling for the Pentamatic version of the 58/1.7 is extremely similar not only to the Mamiya versions of the 58/1.7, but in fact to all other Mamiya SLR lenses made in roughly the same period, including those made for Nikons Nikkorex F. The story loses plausibility if Mamiya also appropriates Zunows styling, but a quick look shows that isn't the case. Mamiyas styling (in terms of focus ring markings/colourings and other factors) was fairly constant across the Pentamatic lens, the lenses for both mount versions of the Prismat SLRs, the Argus camera, and the 35 and 135mm lenses supplied for the Nikkorex.

One other point made regards the use of an underlined 'o' for the serial 'No' prefixing, but this is by no means unique to Zunow lenses, even early Takumar lenses used that up until 1958-60 when they stopped. At that time it was common and a vast number of manufacturers used that, probably for no other reason than that everyone else was too. Then, they all stopped.

Another aspect is that the lens is not used or seen anywhere marked as a Zunow lens. Zunow supplied many lenses for many makers, but one constant factor is that they were all marked with their makers name. Zunow were not shy about letting the world know it was their lens, and in fact neither were camera manufacturers, it was probably a selling point. Not that many other lens makers had the cachet that Zunow did during that period, due to their large aperture rangefinder and slr lens designs.

None of this is to say the lens categorically was not a Zunow design, but it is to say that it's just a theory with next to no supporting evidence, with more evidence existing pointing in a much different direction (Mamiya). Mamiya had had an SLR in development since the early 1950s with several prototypes released, it's not known why it took them so long to release. They would also have developed at least a normal focal length lens during that time and probably had that ready for release. Going on the available evidence that's probably a more likely scenario, that they licenced it to Yashica for use while they prepared their own SLR for release.

Ultimately it can't be fully known, however one observation I'll make is of the existence of people who see certain things everywhere, whether or not they actually are there. Some people find a Tomioka made lens every time they lift up a rock, others Zunow, and I'm sure there's other examples.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
...Some people find a Tomioka made lens every time they lift up a rock, others Zunow, and I'm sure there's other examples.

Haha, that is very true! Your argument is very thorough and well stated, too. It is all conjecture, and I don't believe there's any magic that applies to a lens just because it was made by a specific company.

There were probably more than 30 optical manufacturers in Japan at the time, and any one of them probably could have made this lens.

The bottom line is, regardless of who made it, is how the lens renders. And also, how does it feel in the hand too.

Once I figure out how to get the aperture plates to work, I believe there's a missing spring, I will run a roll of film through the Pentamatic, which works, and see. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
Once I figure out how to get the aperture plates to work, I believe there's a missing spring, I will run a roll of film through the Pentamatic, which works, and see. Cheers!

Stuck apertures seem to be common with this lens (the M42 version, at least). I fixed mine by slowly applying lighter fluid until it loosened up, then carefully swabbing away the dissolved oil bit by bit. It took some patience, but now it works just fine - and I didn't have to take it apart.