Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First shots Petri MC 28mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: First shots Petri MC 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

This lens is apparently the same as the Cosinon-W 28mm f/2. Some first shots. Click twice for full size.

First, wide open:
PetriMC28mmf2_3 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Wide open, there is softness from spherical aberration, but there's still quite a good amount of detail. Contrast and colors of the image are very good.

Stopped down to f/2.8:
PetriMC28mmf2_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Softness is mostly gone, good resolution and very contrasty image with popping colors.

Again, wide open:
PetriMC28mmf2_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Good saturation, nice bokeh, good contrast.

Stopped down to f/4:
PetriMC28mmf2_9 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Nice popping image with still good bokeh. There's a tiny loss of sharpness due to the long shutter speed (1/8 sec, handheld).

Shot at f/5.6:
PetriMC28mmf2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Resolution is very high, at least in the center area (I didn't test corners yet).

f/2 maximum aperture allows for this kind of shots:
PetriMC28mmf2_7 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PetriMC28mmf2_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

I have to say I'm really happy with this lens: it's well built, compact (filter size 49mm) and it delivers popping images without the need for additional post processing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Nice evaluation. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples! This is a lens I'm curious about; may I please ask for a couple of shots at the two largest apertures of a subject that would make clear the homogeneity of detail across the field? Even a landscape is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Nice samples! This is a lens I'm curious about; may I please ask for a couple of shots at the two largest apertures of a subject that would make clear the homogeneity of detail across the field? Even a landscape is fine.

Sure, will do that later.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a test @ infinity. Camera used: Sony A7R2.
First, the area's in the image I used for the crops (center, edge,corner):

PetriMC28mmf2_5circle by devoscasper, on Flickr

Then, the results:
comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

I think we can conclude that there are 28mm lenses with better edge and corner performance. Nevertheless, the Cosinon / Petri generates a very pleasing image, perhaps more suitable for street photography / indoor pictures etc. My favorite classic 28mm for landscapes remains the Pentax (K) 28mm f/3.5, but the Cosinon is a great alternative when speed / shallow DOF are needed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing the test pics, those results are very comparable to those from my komine vivitar 28mm f2 and kiron 28mm f2. I have yet to find a 28mm that really knocks me down for edge and corner performance - and that's with apsc cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you'd be more pleased with Olympus or Minolta 28mm F2 then (I haven't used those personally). I do like my SMC Pentax 28mm F2 though, it's fantastic but rare and too pricy. I also have this Petri (branded as Cosinon), I liked it for close ups (mushrooms in the forest etc., also with achromatic close up glass) on FF, and it performed decently on APS-C years ago (stopped down). It's sharp for close ups, like it's already been mentioned, and that's where I saw it's potential use. Since I prefer SMC Pentax 28mm F2 and Olympus 28mm F3.5 for most of my needs, I'll just give this one to a friend. It's a fun lens and it deserve to be used. For landscapes I'd choose something else, there are cheaper and better choices.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
I suppose you'd be more pleased with Olympus or Minolta 28mm F2 then (I haven't used those personally). I do like my SMC Pentax 28mm F2 though, it's fantastic but rare and too pricy. I also have this Petri (branded as Cosinon), I liked it for close ups (mushrooms in the forest etc., also with achromatic close up glass) on FF, and it performed decently on APS-C years ago (stopped down). It's sharp for close ups, like it's already been mentioned, and that's where I saw it's potential use. Since I prefer SMC Pentax 28mm F2 and Olympus 28mm F3.5 for most of my needs, I'll just give this one to a friend. It's a fun lens and it deserve to be used. For landscapes I'd choose something else, there are cheaper and better choices.

For the 25 bucks I paid for it I’m perfectly happy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, they usually go for over a hundred or thereabouts. I've paid mine 30 eur, a few years ago. I imagine that would be impossible if the name was at least Konica, if not Nikon or Pentax. It's not really well-built like those though, just a bit clunky and the focusing goes very easy with mine, but perhaps too easy? I don't know, I was still perfectly happy. I also like how it works when reversed for macro. I think this is the first lens I've tried that technique with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Thanks for doing the test pics, those results are very comparable to those from my komine vivitar 28mm f2 and kiron 28mm f2. I have yet to find a 28mm that really knocks me down for edge and corner performance - and that's with apsc cameras.

Try out the SMC Pentax 28/3.5. Here’s a comparison against a Mamiya I did earlier:
http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-e-28-2-8-vs-smc-pentax-28-3-5-t83688.html

I think that’s really respectable performance on a 42+ mp ff sensor. I expect it to do good on most apsc sensors.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more like the Vivitar 28/2 by Komine than it is like the one by Kino, which has more distinctive bokeh. When adding another 28/2 to the collection I would probably skip this one unless it came very cheap. The Pentax-m or Pentax-a 28mm/2 still has my interest though.

Last edited by D1N0 on Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the usual mixed bag that these lens all end up turning out to be.
At 25 of course I'd buy it on the spot!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Try out the SMC Pentax 28/3.5. Here’s a comparison against a Mamiya I did earlier:
http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-e-28-2-8-vs-smc-pentax-28-3-5-t83688.html.

I was fortunate to pick up an ok example pentax K for a very good price back in 2015. I should use it more, I jus tlike the convenience of the PKA mount on the kiron, and it's rendering. Unless I am shooting architecture or infinity landscapes, the distinctly better technical performance of the pentax isn't missed.

I did this comparison of 5 x 28's back then on my K5. Result for miniwide II is OOF though - IIRC infinity focus was out on the lens. All at wide open aperture. Top: pentax K 28mm f3.5; 2. pentax M 28mm f3.5; 3. pentax M 28mm f2.8; 4. sigma miniwide II; 5. Bottom. Adaptall 02A 28mm f2.5
CLICK ON PIC FOR FULL SIZED.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-e-28-2-8-vs-smc-pentax-28-3-5-t83688.html.

I was fortunate to pick up an ok example pentax K for a very good price back in 2015. I should use it more, I jus tlike the convenience of the PKA mount on the kiron, and it's rendering. Unless I am shooting architecture or infinity landscapes, the distinctly better technical performance of the pentax isn't missed.

I did this comparison of 5 x 28's back then on my K5. Result for miniwide II is OOF though - IIRC infinity focus was out on the lens. All at wide open aperture. Top: pentax K 28mm f3.5; 2. pentax M 28mm f3.5; 3. pentax M 28mm f2.8; 4. sigma miniwide II; 5. Bottom. Adaptall 02A 28mm f2.5

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I was fortunate to pick up an ok example pentax K for a very good price back in 2015. I should use it more, I jus tlike the convenience of the PKA mount on the kiron, and it's rendering. Unless I am shooting architecture or infinity landscapes, the distinctly better technical performance of the pentax isn't missed.redactle

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Petri 28mm f/2 (cheaply) mostly for astro work … it's OK but does suffer from coma in the outer field at wide aperture, even on APS-C.
I've been fortunate enough to also accrue a Kiron 28mm f/2, also very economically, more in hope than in anger, but found it to be much of a muchness, neither significantly better or worse than the Petri.
I don't remember using either lens for more "conventional" photography, so I've nothing to add in that direction.