Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lester/Kiron 105mm 2.8 - Sharper than Vivitar 135mm CF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Lester/Kiron 105mm 2.8 - Sharper than Vivitar 135mm CF? Reply with quote

So, ya'll know that rare Vivtar 135mm Close Focusing by Komine?
I wanted to ask if the Kiron is superior in resolution for non-macro work.

I only want one in the range,to minimize mind clutter when I work.
So if you say Viv, I am selling the Kiron. If you say Kiron, I won't bother with the Viv.

EXPERTS?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Kiron 105mm has a lot more elements, goes down to 1:1, and follows a more symmetrical design. And is designed to follow in the field of macro lenses.

Nevertheless, the reviews seem impressive for Vivitar's otherwise simple 135mm Ernostar design that goes down to 1:2. Clearly something is performant about it.

But I would still go with the Kiron, which is actually a 'macro' rather than 'close focus' - despite the Vivitar going down to 1:2, which is meaningfully macro, I would go by what they called it. Close focus is always used as a lesser version of macro.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's reasonable! Thanks for your input! Love this forum, you guys are great

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lester/Kiron 105mm 2.8 - Sharper than Vivitar 135mm CF? Reply with quote

Coyote23 wrote:
So, ya'll know that rare Vivtar 135mm Close Focusing by Komine?
I wanted to ask if the Kiron is superior in resolution for non-macro work.

I only want one in the range,to minimize mind clutter when I work.
So if you say Viv, I am selling the Kiron. If you say Kiron, I won't bother with the Viv.

EXPERTS?

I have both but haven’t really done the comparison. But from my impression, I would say the 105 is sharper than the 135. It is a macro lens after all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For non-macro I would prefer the Vivitar, for macro the Kiron. I didn't like the Kiron for other purposes than macro.
Better alround lenses are IMO the Tamron 90/2.5 macro or Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 macro. The Tamron can be found very cheap.
There's also a Vivitar 90/2.8 macro by the way, not bad either.