Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hundredthirtyfivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Hundredthirtyfivers Reply with quote

I recently did inventory in my treasure trove. Just checking if they´re all here and well. I have quite a bunch of fifties, but these were very consciously made acquisitions.

So of my 135ers, I know I wanted the Zuiko, the Hexanon and the Vivitar. The other 5 merely "happened" when I became curious of older lenses. I didn´t get those "by-catch" exactly for free, but I was never after them either. I.e. the Soligor was a no-brainer-price when I went to pick up a good Meyer Oreston 50mm.
135ers are in abundance available, and tendentially cheaper than the neighboring focal lenths beneath and above, except vor very special beasts. Seems to be the second common focal length after the fifties.

So I have a nice little collection. Probably really little in comparison to those of some other fellows here. But knowing the accidential compilation of that collection of mine, I wonder how other people came to their 135ers. All planned children?

Olympus Zuiko MC 135mm 1:2.8. Min. focus distance 1.5m.
Pentacon 2.8/135, M-42, 16-bladed aperture. Min. focus distance 1.5m.
Jupiter-11 4/135, M-39, 12-bladed aperture. Min. focus distance 2.5m.
Vivitar Series 1, 135mm 1/2.3, K-AR. Min. focus distance 0,9m.
CZJ Triotar 4/135 T, M-42. Min. focus distance 1.2m.
Mayfair Sankor F:3.5 135mm, M-42, 14-bladed aperture. Min. focus distance 1.7m. (note the size next to those pumpkins)
Konica Hexanon AR 135mm F3.5. Min. focus distance 1.5m.
Soligor Tele-Auto 1/3.5 f=135mm, M-42. Min. focus distance 1.8m.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hundredthirtyfivers Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
. . .
I wonder how other people came to their 135ers. All planned children?

Most were planned, yes. I can't remember which of my 135s arrived first, but it didn't take long for me to get hooked.
And I agree with you, Gerhard, I love the focal length, plentitude, variety and affordability of 135s.

My most used 135 is a Vivitar Close Focusing f/2.8 which focuses down to 1:2. It has good image quality and great versatility.

My biggest 135 disappointment was a Vivitar Series 1: Fast, close focusing, beautifully constructed - it was my 135mm dream lens and I paid too much for it.
Sadly, when wide open, its weak contrast and strong purple fringing are turn offs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hundredthirtyfivers Reply with quote

55 wrote:
ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
. . .
I wonder how other people came to their 135ers. All planned children?

Most were planned, yes. I can't remember which of my 135s arrived first, but it didn't take long for me to get hooked.
And I agree with you, Gerhard, I love the focal length, plentitude, variety and affordability of 135s.

My most used 135 is a Vivitar Close Focusing f/2.8 which focuses down to 1:2. It has good image quality and great versatility.

My biggest 135 disappointment was a Vivitar Series 1: Fast, close focusing, beautifully constructed - it was my 135mm dream lens and I paid too much for it.
Sadly, when wide open its weak contrast and strong purple fringing are turn offs.

I agree that the 135 CF is a versatile lens with good IQ. My 135/2.3 VMC does have fair amount of purple fringing but the contrast is acceptable to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hundredthirtyfivers Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
. . .
My 135/2.3 VMC does have fair amount of purple fringing but the contrast is acceptable to me.

Perhaps copy - or photographer - variation? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QC on Vivitar Series 1 lenses was next to non-existent judging by the massive copy variation seen.