Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AGFA Ambi SIlette (1957-8)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: AGFA Ambi SIlette (1957-8) Reply with quote

I learned about this beauty a few years back, thanks to an article in Stephen's Gandy Cameraquest. He called it poor man's Leica and I was curious about it.
A full description of the camera here: Ambi Silette - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

A few weeks back someone in APUG offered a complete kit (Type I) with all 4 lenses+proxar.
Speeds below 15 were sluggish but that is a common problem with Compurs that can be solved with a few drops of electrical contact cleaner in the shutter to clean the slow-gear assembly and self timer, both should be fine for a few years

Went outside with Film and a few observations
- Speed ring is very easy to use
- Lens focusing seems to be precise, the viewfinder is bright and the framelines are very nice.
- Aperture ring in the front is a VG idea, can use them without watching
- Camera handles very well for the age, nice and bright viewfinder, and the frame lines are a joy to use
- Changing lenses is super-easy, whomever invented that mount should teach the others a few lessons
- No lightmeter but that is fine, I have a handheld and also an app in the mobile phone.
- It is sad that AGFA wasn't more successful with this, the system handles better than the Contax (I know this is heresy)
- Ambion 35mm/4 lens is a joy to use, the 50mm is good but the 90 and 130 feel awkward, especially the 130 is huge

Flash synch should work at all speeds with electronic flash, I ordered the Godox Lux Senior with the retro look and should be fine.

Photos with 35/4 lens
Kodak Gold 200 exposed using sunny 16 (250/11)
Cary NC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo's!
You did well for exposure.
It's been about a year since I used my on-board in my head meter. Wink
Interesting camera too.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very luminous and at the same time well exposed shots, even indoors. The camera must have a great optics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one came my way, of the 2nd type

Longer RF base, strap-lugs among the differences

The RF was out of whack; thanks to Chris Sherlock videos I was able to fix it
It turned out to be some solidified grease on the arm that moves the split-beam mirror

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I had a chance of one with 3 lenses but as I was thinking about it the shop closed down.

LOL seems that anything that isn't actually a Leica is a poor mans Leica.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 4 lens set and it is a very good camera
Feels more like a 1960s camera that a Leica/Contax

This is the 130/4 Telinear with its own viewfinder

philslizzy wrote:
Looks great. I had a chance of one with 3 lenses but as I was thinking about it the shop closed down.

LOL seems that anything that isn't actually a Leica is a poor mans Leica.