Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor vs Minolta vs Kaleinar 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Topcor vs Minolta vs Kaleinar 100mm Reply with quote

A comparison of bokeh and center sharpness between the following lenses:
- Topcor RE 100mm f/2.8
- Minolta MC 100mm f/2.5
- Kaleinar 5H 100mm f/2.8

Camera: Sony A7RII

comparison28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Conclusion:
Performance of the three lenses is remarkably comparable, at least in this test.
Wide open, the Kaleinar seems a bit sharper in the center than the other competitors. It shows a bit of sawtooth bokeh @ f/4, whereas the others do not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

All are good performers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Like 1

All are good performers!

Yes, they are.
I read a few reviews on the web that the Kaleinar gets sharp only from f/4 on, but I have to disagree: it's sharp wide open.
Of course there could be sample variation (or more likely, the inability to focus properly Smile).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very insightful test. How would you judge them in terms of microcontrast?

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the test. I am confused by the terms Minolta MC last version. Is it MC or MDII MDIII (five elements)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Thank you for the test. I am confused by the terms Minolta MC last version. Is it MC or MDII MDIII (five elements)?

MC five elements. So with MD lens scheme.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Very insightful test. How would you judge them in terms of microcontrast?

Thanks a lot.

I think all three lenses are pretty good in that regard. The flower is actually a pretty good subject IMO to determine this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to choose a favorite, good output from all 3.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all that effort!

The out-of-focus highlight top-center in the last two wide open examples are hexagons?:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Thank you for all that effort!

The out-of-focus highlight top-center in the last two wide open examples are hexagons?:

Those are @f/4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

MC five elements. So with MD lens scheme.

For the benefit of those not too familiar with the Minolta SR mount: there were 7 versions of this lens.

Summarised from Dennis Lohmann's site:

1968 - MC-I - 6/5
1970 - MC-II - 6/5
1973 - MC-X - 6/5
1976 - MC-X - 5/5
1977 - MD-I - 5/5
1978 - MD-II - 5/5
1981 - MD-III - 5/5

The first 6 had a screw-in dedicated metal lens hood, the last MD-III had a unique 2-section telescopic built-in metal hood

The first MC-I version has a finer helicoid thread and it is difficult to lubricate this lens; it requires a compromise between focus feel and grease stability. More prone to oil on the aperture blades than the later versions.

More details can be found on Dennis Lohmann's site:

http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now lets compare the corners. Usually here the differences show. Camera used: Sony A7RII

First wide open:
conrnercomp28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

I actually re-checked the camera settings to confirm that the image of the Minolta was actually shot wide open. Near perfect corner performance, incredible. Topcor second, Kaleinar last.

cornercomp4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

cornercomp56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@ f/5.6 the corners op the Topcor become pretty good, definitely usable for landscapes, but not yet on the level of the Minolta. The Kaleinar not so strong.

cornercomp8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@f/8, the difference between the Topcor and Minolta becomes smaller. The Kaleinar corners are not bad, but not on the same level as the Topcor or the Minolta.

cornercomp11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@f/11: same conclusions as @ f/8

Conclusion after doing the two tests: the three lenses have comparable center performance and equally pleasing bokeh. As landscape lenses on a hi-res FF camera, the Minolta steals the show with incredible sharpness throughout the frame, already @ f/2.5. The Topcor is great as well stopped down; the Kaleinar less so and is more of a dedicated portrait lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a FD 100 2,8 in a drawer please throw in the comparison. I think it is a pretty good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
If you have a FD 100 2,8 in a drawer please throw in the comparison. I think it is a pretty good lens.

Unfortunately I haven't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible from the Minolta indeed. The Topcor performance is in line with old resolution tests. Center strong from wide open and corner performer weaker at f/2.8 and f/4 making a significant jump by f/5.6 and peeking at f/8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

I would assume it should be at least as good as 85mm 1.8 FD S.S.C. , or better. I like canon's 8 blades when closing down the aperture , it seems , not to many are bothered by this issue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Incredible from the Minolta indeed. The Topcor performance is in line with old resolution tests. Center strong from wide open and corner performer weaker at f/2.8 and f/4 making a significant jump by f/5.6 and peeking at f/8.

Also, the Minolta 100/2.5 is quite affordable. It seems everybody is focusing on the MD 85/2. The 100mm has better bokeh IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I would assume it should be at least as good as 85mm 1.8 FD S.S.C. , or better. I like canon's 8 blades when closing down the aperture , it seems , not to many are bothered by this issue.

True, it’s maybe the only ‘weak’ point of the Minolta. On the other hand, it’s perfectly usable wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly O/T I tested a few of my longer fast lenses ahead of my youngest daughters graduation ceremony. In the 200mm range I have a Vivitar S1 200/3, a Soligor C/D (Tokina) 200/2.8, a Cambron (Sun) 200/ 2.8 and a Minolta MDIII 200/2.8. I only tested center performance wide open, anticipating operating in a darkened hall. The difference from the Minolta to the third party lenses was even more stark than that shown above. It's a fairly good lens. Unfortunately I don't own equivalent lenses from the other top manufacturers of the time to compare.

In the 135mm range I tested a Topcon 135/2, a Komura 135/2, a Samigon (YS mount probably Sigma) 135/1.8, a Spiratone 135/1.8 (Itoh Kogaku by my estimation), a Sigma XQ 135/1.8 and a Soligor C/D (Tokina) 135/2. The clear best was the Soligor Tokina Lens, but not near as good as the Minolta.

I'll need a helper to carry a second bag with a Topcon 300/2.8, as tested today the resolution and contrast wide open are nothing short of a revelation, especially considering the year of first release for that lens. The center IQ was basically close to as good as the Minolta 200mm lens.

The Minolta lens was also my first ever manual focus lens buy, looking back an excellent choice, and the start of a slippery road to ruin...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Slightly O/T I tested a few of my longer fast lenses ahead of my youngest daughters graduation ceremony. In the 200mm range I have a Vivitar S1 200/3, a Soligor C/D (Tokina) 200/2.8, a Cambron (Sun) 200/ 2.8 and a Minolta MDIII 200/2.8. I only tested center performance wide open, anticipating operating in a darkened hall. The difference from the Minolta to the third party lenses was even more stark than that shown above. It's a fairly good lens. Unfortunately I don't own equivalent lenses from the other top manufacturers of the time to compare.

In the 135mm range I tested a Topcon 135/2, a Komura 135/2, a Samigon (YS mount probably Sigma) 135/1.8, a Spiratone 135/1.8 (Itoh Kogaku by my estimation), a Sigma XQ 135/1.8 and a Soligor C/D (Tokina) 135/2. The clear best was the Soligor Tokina Lens, but not near as good as the Minolta.

I'll need a helper to carry a second bag with a Topcon 300/2.8, as tested today the resolution and contrast wide open are nothing short of a revelation, especially considering the year of first release for that lens. The center IQ was basically close to as good as the Minolta 200mm lens.

The Minolta lens was also my first ever manual focus lens buy, looking back an excellent choice, and the start of a slippery road to ruin...

Yeah, Minolta lenses are usually among my favorites, think of the MD 35/2.8, 100/2.5, 75-150/4. Mamiya has also excellent and affordable lenses, especially the series for the 645 system.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Found this comparison on Stephan´s website, including the Canon:
http://artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/663-100mm-lenses-canon-fd-minolta-mc-md-af-nikon

It does a pretty good job!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now let's see how good the Minolta holds up against the much more modern and very well regarded Canon EF 100mm f/2:
Comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Canon shows already very good performance across the frame from wide open. There are some CA's in the corners.
From f/2.5 / f/2.8, the Minolta holds up really good against the Canon. Remarkable.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Topcor is known for field curvature (see Camera:35 review). I suspect if you focus for the corner, it will be sharper.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
The Topcor is known for field curvature (see Camera:35 review). I suspect if you focus for the corner, it will be sharper.

I bet you're right. It still doesn't do too bad though, considering this is on a 42+ mp sensor.