Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujifilm GFX100S and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Fujifilm GFX100S and manual lenses Reply with quote

This thread will included all the lenses I have tired on the GFX100S along with samples and my comment on each lens.

A detailed list of lens coverage on 44x33mm sensor can be found on my blog:
https://lensfever.com/lens-coverage-chart-full-frame-lenses-on-medium-format-fujifilm-gfx-and-hasselblad-x/

Let's start with the Schneider PA Curtagon 35/4.0.

Being a shift lens made for 35mm film cameras, this lens covers the whole sensor even after a little shift. Since the design is more than 50 years, the performance is not as good as more recently 28/2.8. Still, it is a fun lens to use on the GFX100S.

P.S. The Leica lenses shown here are not mine. I will return them after the test.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:52 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Like 1 small Like 1 small

BTW, after several months with my GFX50SII, my top recommendation for testing would be the 85mm f/2 AiS Nikkor. Total coverage with no vignetting and it's also super small and light. I find myself using that one more than any other.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Looking good.

BTW, after several months with my GFX50SII, my top recommendation for testing would be the 85mm f/2 AiS Nikkor. Total coverage with no vignetting and it's also super small and light. I find myself using that one more than any other.

Good to know this. My 50sii just arrived yesterday and I am still learning how to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Looking good.

Yes. I have tested few 85-90mm lenses. All of them covers the whole sensor with little or no vignetting. The extreme corners may not be very good but it is irrelevant if used for portraits.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boys and Girls, feel invited to add your findings, where relevant, to our little (7oo+ FF lenses so far!) list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxvvpxJ9QVFFyh0pW2rs9KBmUW9vlh-d-VnbcLDCTn8/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=108628632450090560676

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
Boys and Girls, feel invited to add your findings, where relevant, to our little (7oo+ FF lenses so far!) list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxvvpxJ9QVFFyh0pW2rs9KBmUW9vlh-d-VnbcLDCTn8/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=108628632450090560676

Like 1 Friends

I came across this list when I search for coverage information. While I checking my own result result again the information in your list, I found there are some discrepancy between my result and the info on the list. I am making my own list similar to yours based on my own test result. It will be available later on my blog when I have enough content..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kathala wrote:

Like 1 Friends

I came across this list when I search for coverage information. While I checking my own result result again the information in your list, I found there are some discrepancy between my result and the info on the list. I am making my own list similar to yours based on my own test result. It will be available later on my blog when I have enough content..

Not to hijack this thread, but if you (or indeed anyone reading) would like to share their findings, I'm happy to grant "editing rights" (or whatever it's called in google). It's not "my" list, but meant as a general reference, and several people are already editing their findings into it. It's also very interesting to see different results with the same lens - are they due to external factors (adapters?) or personal tolerance, for example?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
kathala wrote:

Like 1 Friends

Not to hijack this thread, but if you (or indeed anyone reading) would like to share their findings, I'm happy to grant "editing rights" (or whatever it's called in google). It's not "my" list, but meant as a general reference, and several people are already editing their findings into it. It's also very interesting to see different results with the same lens - are they due to external factors (adapters?) or personal tolerance, for example?

Thanks for your offer! I have no plan to edit the list yet I will include the link to the list when i publish my own post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes the Leica Summilux-R 50/1.4 E60.

No full coverage when focusing far away. Better on 3:2 and best at 16:9. On close up it works wonderfully with some vignetting on the corners,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On close up, Wow ! Happy Cat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wow!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Dog Friends Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes with the Leica Summicron-R 50/2.0 Ver.I. This would be the Summicron I would recommand for use with GFX. There is only slight vignetting/smearing at the extreme corner at 4:3. The original hood will give a bit more vignetting.

Here is a sample photo resized to 25.5MP taken at ~F5.6 with the original hood. Click to enlarge. It is best to download the photo and view it at 100%.

More sample photos will be posted later in another thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon FD 24mm F2.8 S.S.C. is my favourite 24mm when I am using the A7RII. It does pretty well on GFX with some smear in the corners. Consider it is a lens released 50 years ago, I can't ask for more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A detailed list of lens coverage on 44x33mm sensor can be found on my blog in the link below. I will add more later when I have time to test more lenses.

https://lensfever.com/lens-coverage-chart-full-frame-lenses-on-medium-format-fujifilm-gfx-and-hasselblad-x/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander Color Skopar Classic 35 mm F2.5 with extension tube.

This little lens has enough image circle for the GFX sensor. It has very strong field curve in the edge/corner. Not a lens for landscape but it works pretty well on close up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Like 1 Like 1

Friends Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Do you know if the E60 has better coverage than the E55 or is it worse?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Do you know if the E60 has better coverage than the E55 or is it worse?

I have not tested the E55 but the E48 version. The E48 version have better coverage than E60. The E55 should at least as good as the E48 version as the optical design is the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I have not tested the E55 but the E48 version. The E48 version have better coverage than E60. The E55 should at least as good as the E48 version as the optical design is the same.

Hmmm. Thanks. I would not say the E55 has good coverage. It improves as you stop down, but at f/1.4 it's obvious the image circle is too small.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Hmmm. Thanks. I would not say the E55 has good coverage. It improves as you stop down, but at f/1.4 it's obvious the image circle is too small.

I would not use them for landscape if you don't crop the image.

Shot with E60 at F1.4 resize to 25%.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The Canon FD 24mm F2.8 S.S.C. is my favourite 24mm when I am using the A7RII. It does pretty well on GFX with some smear in the corners. Consider it is a lens released 50 years ago, I can't ask for more.

That's good coverage for a 24mm. Looks quite usable.