Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KONICA sticker in Kalimar mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: KONICA sticker in Kalimar mirror lens Reply with quote

I took apart a Kalimar mirror lens, made in Korea presumably by Samyang, and found a KONICA sticker under the focus grip. I’m surprised. Does anyone know of any connection between Konica and Korea or Samyang?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not just in a Konica mount? Kalimar / Samyang made lenses in most mounts.
BTW, that lens looks really tiny. The smallest 500 ever?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say it means Konica mount, not sold as or related to Konica, although it's interchangeable T mount I assume, and those were usually marketed as pick your own adapter(?)

This sort of sticker is factory floor information I would think, so hard to unpick which logic at work.

Here's my best guess: they were boxing up a certain amount of mirror lenses with each mount. The sticker was to tell it where to go. It allowed them to keep track? I don't want to assume they needed to keep track like that, but how else would you count a huge pile of boxes even when sectioned off?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
I'm going to say it means Konica mount, not sold as or related to Konica, although it's interchangeable T mount I assume, and those were usually marketed as pick your own adapter(?)

This sort of sticker is factory floor information I would think, so hard to unpick which logic at work.

Here's my best guess: they were boxing up a certain amount of mirror lenses with each mount. The sticker was to tell it where to go. It allowed them to keep track? I don't want to assume they needed to keep track like that, but how else would you count a huge pile of boxes even when sectioned off?

I agree, that would be my guess.

That sticker is upside-down by the way; just knowing that would annoy the crap out of me even if it is invisible (I'm a bit OCD like that Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no good ideas for this. I appreciate the suggestion that it might have been made for Konica mount, and the idea has merit. However I’m also skeptical. What I have observed from looking at the boxes for these (under a variety of brands) suggests that they were simply made and boxed without a determination of mount adapter (this is a T2 mount). Then at a later time someone would put a specific mount adapter into the box and put a sticker into a reserved space on the box. The other reason for doubt is I think the serial number convention is the first two years are the decade/year of make. This one is a 92xx serial number, and I think the last Konica SLRs were made in the early 1980s. I think by the early 1990s a third-party mirror lens for a Konica SLR would have been extremely niche. But maybe I’m estimating that wrong, and someone who was working in a camera store at that time could offer perspective?

I’m not trying to be antagonistic, just sharing my thoughts as I consider the reasons to believe or doubt.

In any event it is an interesting curiosity and fun to discuss!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the manufacturer sourced that portion of the lens from Konica?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaprb wrote:
I have no good ideas for this. I appreciate the suggestion that it might have been made for Konica mount, and the idea has merit. However I’m also skeptical. What I have observed from looking at the boxes for these (under a variety of brands) suggests that they were simply made and boxed without a determination of mount adapter (this is a T2 mount). Then at a later time someone would put a specific mount adapter into the box and put a sticker into a reserved space on the box. The other reason for doubt is I think the serial number convention is the first two years are the decade/year of make. This one is a 92xx serial number, and I think the last Konica SLRs were made in the early 1980s. I think by the early 1990s a third-party mirror lens for a Konica SLR would have been extremely niche. But maybe I’m estimating that wrong, and someone who was working in a camera store at that time could offer perspective?

I’m not trying to be antagonistic, just sharing my thoughts as I consider the reasons to believe or doubt.

In any event it is an interesting curiosity and fun to discuss!

From what I've been able to see since I began goofing off with cameras and lenses (over 4 deccades now), most OEMs didn't use their SN to indicate year of manufacture. The ones that I know of that did this include the Soviets (for most if not all the photo gear they made) and Tokina. I know of no other . Konica certainly didn't. Incidentally, the last SLR Konica manufactured in-house (the Konica FT-1 Motor) dates from late 1987.
This sticker (shape color and font) looks very much like the stickers placed on T-mount adapter boxes to indicate what mount they were made for. Just my 2 (maybe 3) cents' worth.